Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I have lived in a lot of different places over the past few years. I grew up in California and lived all over the state, and was just living in Shanghai, China. I've also lived in Portland OR and SLC Utah.

Denver is better than SLC hands down Compared to all the other cities i've lived in, Denver really has much more of a small town feel. It reminds me a lot of the small town of 30,000 I went to college at, as opposed to a city of half a million people.

I think the main thing about Denver that I don't like is the sprawl. I prefer a dense city. I don't like being so dependant on a car and surrounded by miles and miles of suburbia, even within the city limits I would call a lot of Denver suburbia. It makes the city feel very empty and I feel a lack of community because everyone exists in their own space and their own bubble.

I am living just a few miles from downtown, in the city limits of Denver, i'm not out in the burbs but I sure feel like it. But a lot of US cities are like this, especially in the midwest.

I am liking it here though, I am not unhappy or disgruntled about it. I love the nature, the camping, mountains, etc. But as for the city of Denver itself, I havn't really found anything to love about it quite yet.

I like the parks here. I like how clean the city is. I like how safe it is, even the "bad parts" of Denver are not bad at all in my opinion. Denver doesn't really have any unsafe parts except maybe for some streets downtown.

I'm gonna keep on looking for the good stuff here

I'll say it again that I am not slamming Denver here. I just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way as me on this, or if my perception of it is somehow wrong.
The actual city of Denver has almost 600,000 people, but the metro area has almost 3,000,000 and the Front Range corridor has over 4,000,000. The suburbs aren't all bad and there are lots of things going on all over the place. Check city websites for events. You shouldn't be bored!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:34 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
Um, welcome to big city usa. Denver to me is like anytown usa. Honestly, there is nothing super great about Denver. It has a nice downtown, night life, and cultural activities. But honestly what city of this size doesn't?

I didn't move here for denver. I moved here for the mountains. I moved here to mountain bike, road bike, hike, climb, camp, and snowboard. And hang out in denver if and when I get bored. Which doesn't happen that often.

If you find the city boring that's fine. And if the mountains don't provide that much fun for you maybe you are in the wrong place?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
I grew up in one of the suburbs of Denver, Aurora, and I have to agree with you. I love Denver, but the suburban sprawl is ugly and very car dependent. You don't really get a chance to know people, and car commutes bring out the ugly side of most. However, I think Denver proper is great! If I ever moved back to the big city, I would live in Denver. It's about the only place where you find something to do within walking distance. It has improved a lot with lightrail. Now you can at least take a train into the city instead of driving! It certainly has a long way to go in terms of public transportatation. Since you lived in Portland, you have a different perspective about how good it can be.

I wouldn't necessarily consider Denver midwest though. It's a Rocky Mt. city. People tend to be friendly, but also keep to themselves. You will find this a lot in the Rocky Mtn. states. Hopefully you haven't had a chance to explore all of Denver yet. I'm sure that once you do, you will find it to be an exciting city.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:29 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,666 times
Just wanna say briefly, Wankel7, I think you are really on target with your post.

Also, FunkyMonk, I lived in Boulder for 15+ years and I can really relate to your observations about Denver.

I think for people like you and me, we're looking at NYC, LA, maybe Miami, maybe Seattle, maybe Chicago. That's about it. Problem with those places is you need major buck$$$$$$ to take advantage of what they offer and to even just survive there.

If it's any consolation, I can really relate.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 7,434 times
hi, i just moved here (to the suburbs) and i like the fact that everything is close by (albeit to drive to)- it all depends what you like- it sounds like maybe you moved to the burbs but are more of city type?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily consider Denver midwest though. It's a Rocky Mt. city. People tend to be friendly, but also keep to themselves. You will find this a lot in the Rocky Mtn. states. Hopefully you haven't had a chance to explore all of Denver yet. I'm sure that once you do, you will find it to be an exciting city.
I agree that Denver isn't a midwestern city. Not at all. Cities like Kansas City, St. Louis and Omaha are midwestern cities and they have a completely different feel than the Denver metro area. Denver is culturally much more of a western city.

I also agree with the poster talking about some of the more "urban" cities like Seattle, Chicago, NY, SF, etc... I absolutely love those cities but they're also outrageously expensive.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:12 PM

351 posts, read 649,580 times
I think your description of Denver is pretty accurate. I think the vibe in the midwest is a little more down-to-earth and homey and the culture is certainly richer and more diverse, while Denver is more cosmopolitan and cutting edge. It's definitely a more suburb, outdoorsy sort of town.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:30 PM

75 posts, read 303,706 times
I went downtown last night to hang out and the LODO area and the downtown area reminds me of a mini-Chicago...though a lot less $$ when compared to downtown Chicago. The burbs are a sprawl...though I encourage anyone who hasn't been to visit Atlanta to see "real" sprawl...YIKES.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:11 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,435 times
I love camping and being in small towns. I used to live in a town of 30,000 with no big cities for hundreds of miles. The town had a national forest and camping within walking distance, I loved that. I used to bike through the woods every day and camp out every weekend.

I love camping in the mountains here a lot. But being in Denver, I am not IN those mountains. Those mountains are a day trip away. All I can do is look at the mountains in the distance and go there occasionally.

I also love living in big cities. I've lived in several big cities and had great times. I loved living in all those places. By the way, Denver is NOT big city....... I would call it small city myself. The population density here is way too thin to be considered big city.

As for the light rail, it pretty much gos in a straight line from downtown to the south through a very limited part of the city. If you live to the north, east or west of downtown the light rail is of no use at all.

My problem with Denver is that is falls inbetween being a city and being a country town, but it isn't quite either. It doesn't feel like a big city unless you are right in the middle of downtown. Otherwise it is much more like a suburb.

And it definantly doesn't feel like a cool, small town because of all the sprawl in every direction, the mountains and forests are miles and miles away unless you are way out on the outskirts of the city.

Certain neighborhoods in Denver are really cool. But if you choose to live in the wrong neighborhood, you may be in for a rather colorless experience.

My neighborhood for example. I am surrounded by houses and apartment complexes for several miles on all sides. There is almost nothing interesting within walking distance, not even any shopping besides a 7-11 and a few food places. And there is almost nobody on the streets because everyone drives everywhere they go. People act very private and they act kind of afraid of strangers.

I like Denver, don't get me wrong. I can see what great things this place has to offer. But I think it is only certain areas of Denver that are really good.

I have just never lived in such a suburban type of environment, it takes getting used to. And in my opinion, it offers the worst aspects of a city and a small town, without offering the great things. You are in a concrete jungle like a city, yet you do not have the convienences, street life, or fun of the city.

Denver is not alone on this. Phoenix, Tucson and SLC are all cities i've seen with the same sprawling, suburbia feel to them.

I am going to try to move to a different part of the city ASAP. Where i'm at right now is no good. The Denver area has a lot of great places, but I think that the truely great places are mostly outside of the Denver city limits. Besides downtown areas, Denver itself isn't that great, it's suburbia disguised as a city.

I'm not trying to slam Denver, but this is a Denver forum so i'm just letting all my thoughts flow out. This post might sound negative but it's just my honest thoughts after a month here.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
I have written much on this forum about different neighborhoods in the city and the suburbs that have a good walkable neighborhood with good transportation. I cannot take the time and repeat all my verbose posts.

With the internet it is easier than ever to find a better place to live. You can go to google maps and find all the supermarkets and where they are located. In addition, in google you can see all the RTD bus stops. You can go on street level and see the neighborhood.

A good neighborhood for me is within walking distance of good basic stores like King Soopers, Walmart etc. It has to be on a major bus route. Light Rail is nice but Denver has a good bus system and in many areas provides more options than the light rail, especially at transfer stations.

A good park in the neighborhood, I also want. That is easy because Denver and the suburbs have so many parks, trails and open spaces. Many of these parks are available with public transit, even in the foothills. In the past, I have taken the bus to Evergreen, Nederland, Boulder Canyon and taken the bus back home. Today, I can easily get on the Light Rail and end up at the trails, waterways at the Mineral Station, with access to the whole Platte River Trails and Chatfield Reservoir--and again take the rail and bus home.

Well, some people would want nightclubs and that type of entertainment. Granted that would be in select neighborhoods and certainly Downtown. However, I am too old for all that and I prefer concerts, opera, theatre etc. but the these Downtown amenities are easily available by public transit from most metro areas and getting better with the bus and rail built out. These distant amenities are easily accessible by public transit, become my extended neighborhood. Yet, there are many walkable neighborhoods, all over the area, where on can walk to coffee shops, bars, restaurants etc.

Yes, at times I want boring places, quiet places, parks and trails where I can be at peace. I have written much on Arvada and the boring and peaceful neighborhoods. Years ago when I worked a hard job all week, Downtown, all I wanted was to return to the tranquility of my boring neighborhood. I know that many hard working people also feel the same--it is our refuge, our place to
Livecontent

It is time for me to go to bed, so tomorrow I can face another bright, sunny, boring, happy, day in Colorado.

Last edited by livecontent; 11-22-2008 at 11:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver