Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,818,770 times

Advertisements

Boulder does have a similar attititude to Laguna Beach, and has kind of the same vibe as the Newport Peninsula...I have lived in all three places and actually used to see many ex-Boulderites in both Newport and Laguna...Cherry Creek North along third avenue has kind of a Coastal California town feel..Colorado is Colorado....But Boulder California as I heard it called often the 8 years I lived there does have a Cali--vibe..
The people in Boulder claim to hate Californiacation--so they must be doing alot of self loathing these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,726,826 times
Scott: hahahaha, I think a lot of the Boulderians are Calif. That explains it. I think Boulder would be fabulous if it could have Laguna's coastline and pier. But nooo....

Old 11-24-2008, 04:21 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,818,770 times
Oh ya Denver isn't boring in my opionion; I grew up in Denver and used to refer to it
as DENVOID...Woke up early this morning in middle of the city, and took the dog for a hike to the top of Conifer MT. and came back down by 10 am in shorts in November...
If you like the clubs of LA, San Fran,NYC; crave the highest cultural enviornment possible---love late night dining---Denver is not your place....If you love the outdoors
and wanna cycle,ski, and simply be twenty min. from downtown to foothills serenity or
Boulder than Denver's not bad...

Old 11-24-2008, 04:25 PM

oh I so agree with you!!!!!!

Also, I might add, if you crave the ocean and water activities, the style that comes with coastal living, Denver is not for you. If you'd rather ride your bike down the beach than a rocky terrain filled with wildlife, move to the coast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Oh ya Denver isn't boring in my opionion; I grew up in Denver and used to refer to it
as DENVOID...Woke up early this morning in middle of the city, and took the dog for a hike to the top of Conifer MT. and came back down by 10 am in shorts in November...
If you like the clubs of LA, San Fran,NYC; crave the highest cultural enviornment possible---love late night dining---Denver is not your place....If you love the outdoors
and wanna cycle,ski, and simply be twenty min. from downtown to foothills serenity or
Boulder than Denver's not bad...

Old 11-24-2008, 05:25 PM

227 posts, read 1,009,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I lived in Denver for about 3 years. I first moved into Glendale. I signed my lease on-line, and only visited downtown before moving there and signing the lease. I went online and found a apartment complex located on the Cherry Creek bike trail...
Quote:
...However, I was completely wrong, and disappointed when I moved there. I hated it. It was located in Glendale. The apartment complex was this homogenous suburban looking crap. The promised retail was target, and every chain stripmall down Colorado Blvd...
Well, I guess that's what you get when you sign an apartment lease before even driving past the place.

Quote:
...If I stayed out there I would have no idea where I would live. I hate urban sprawl, however, I have no problem with old towns outside of cities that are still considered suburbs, but are actual towns with their own buisness districts, walkable streets, their own character, etc. Here in Pittsburgh there are many old towns outside the city that are considered suburbs, but are actual real towns. I felt Denver didn't have many at all. It seemed like once you left Denver 99% of everything was a suburb built from urban sprawl.
I guess I would understand your points if I didn't research the area throughly before I moved out here. This isn't Pennsylvania. It wouldn't take a hefty amount of research to find out that there weren't many little towns outside of Denver in the old days. It was Denver and that was it. Just outside of town was the rolling plains. In fact, if you just went to city data's information pages about the suburban areas you would see many of them incorporated in the early part of the century up to the 60's and later. These days small towns just don't pop up next to big cities.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,255,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Boulder does have a similar attititude to Laguna Beach, and has kind of the same vibe as the Newport Peninsula...I have lived in all three places and actually used to see many ex-Boulderites in both Newport and Laguna...Cherry Creek North along third avenue has kind of a Coastal California town feel..Colorado is Colorado....But Boulder California as I heard it called often the 8 years I lived there does have a Cali--vibe..
The people in Boulder claim to hate Californiacation--so they must be doing alot of self loathing these days...
Yeah, I agree Cherry Creek N. does have a coastal vibe, for some reason. Kind of like all the little shops in Laguna.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:03 AM

bullfish: I think your post is pretty harsh. I myself have seen ads for Denver that are totally misleading. And for someone coming across the country, it's not like they are millionaires who can spend weeks at a time scoping out a city. And all the research in the world isn't going to tell you exactly what you'll be getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post
Well, I guess that's what you get when you sign an apartment lease before even driving past the place.

I guess I would understand your points if I didn't research the area throughly before I moved out here. This isn't Pennsylvania. It wouldn't take a hefty amount of research to find out that there weren't many little towns outside of Denver in the old days. It was Denver and that was it. Just outside of town was the rolling plains. In fact, if you just went to city data's information pages about the suburban areas you would see many of them incorporated in the early part of the century up to the 60's and later. These days small towns just don't pop up next to big cities.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,939,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post

Wow dude, I was just describing my thoughts on moving out there without having time to go out there to actually physically find a place. I had to finish working in Philly for two weeks before moving out there to start a job. Some of us can't take off work for two weeks to move.

[mod cut]

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-26-2008 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 AM

15 posts, read 108,192 times
Denver is just fine.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:51 PM

227 posts, read 1,009,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
bullfish: I think your post is pretty harsh. I myself have seen ads for Denver that are totally misleading. And for someone coming across the country, it's not like they are millionaires who can spend weeks at a time scoping out a city. And all the research in the world isn't going to tell you exactly what you'll be getting.
[mod cut] He admittedly had time to visit downtown but not 30 minutes to drive down to Glendale.

Am I the only person who looks at a cross country move as a VERY serious undertaking? Isn't it worth a few hours of your time to read up on how the area is laid out and how old stuff is and what other people's opinions about a certain area are? Aren't their several city data threads out there just on Glendale alone?

This is a free country and anyone can rant and rave as he wishes. That doesn't make it a crime for those rants and raves to be questioned.

I am sympathetic to the injustices in the world, but not to people's unpreparedness.

Quote:
Wow dude, I was just describing my thoughts on moving out there without having time to go out there to actually physically find a place. I had to finish working in Philly for two weeks before moving out there to start a job. Some of us can't take off work for two weeks to move.

[mod cut]
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but throwing around things like
Quote:
I hated it.
And
Quote:
The apartment complex was this homogenous suburban looking crap. The promised retail was target, and every chain stripmall down Colorado Blvd.
Quote:
It was just too yuppie and new looking for me. It didn't have any soul IMO.
can be considered harsh. You mistakenly thought Denver would be like Pittsburgh. 15 minutes of google could have told you that it wasn't.

I'm not being harsh. I'm just not buying what you're selling.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-26-2008 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: be nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver