Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:52 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times

Advertisements

Boring? Never was to me. Yeah, there are not as many social events planned by groups or the city as I've seen elsewhere. Never had a problem finding things to do though, I always had so much to do with friends and family I had to beg off and break engagements to find time to sleep.

I did find Denver was very sprawling and it's very easy to just do things with the people in your immediate group. Blandness was a factor, buildings are pretty similar and lots of chains so I've driven past things and never even knew they were there...so many miles to travel my brain would go on autopilot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
Quote:
Downtown Denver seems like the only place that has any life on the streets at all. The rest of Denver is just a car-dependant wasteland of strip malls and empty streets.
I agree. So live downtown, problem solved. Lot's of choices therein.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
I agree with Steveindenver and the OP, downtown is far more pedestrian friendly and busier than pretty much all of the burbs surrounding Denver.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,215 times
There are also lots of dense, urban neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Capitol Hill, Park Hill, Wash Park, the Highlands, Uptown to name a few. I know that Denver is not as dense as some larger cities, but there are definately some nice urban areas of the city. I currently live in southeast Denver about 20 minutes from downtown, but I'm planning on moving into the downtown area this spring, because I want to be in a more urban area.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:30 PM

75 posts, read 303,745 times
I just moved here from Grand Rapids, MI and can say that Denver is not boring when compared to GR. Albeit, I'm somewhat of a homebody, but I've taken some opportunties to drive up into the mountains, enjoy the Artwalk a few fridays ago, and go to the convention center. I think it's a matter of discovering stuff on your own or asking people at work.

I will say though that compared to Grand Rapids, Denver is a bit excessive (and overkill) with stores, malls, shopping, etc...but you get that in any big city ;-).

I'm very glad I made the move from Michigan. There are a lot of people, including my parents who are struggling in Michigan due to their poor economy.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
FunkyMonk, I see two problems here. One, you seem to have invented (or bought into) an image of what you thought Denver was before you came there-- and the reality turned out different. Denver is an ordinary middle American city, nothing special really, but a city that is well executed, and with a nice mountain backdrop behind. It's not some funky, hip, super unique place. I see a lot of people on this forum who have some really strange ideas about what Denver is all about. And by Denver, I mean the whole metro area. Second problem is I believe you and others who think like you are being closed minded when it comes to things like "strip malls" and are excluding a whole realm of possible experiences to be had in Denver-- just because it doesn't preconform to your urbanist models. This is what I'm talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I feel like Denver is very, very sprawled with a strong suburbia feel. Downtown Denver seems like the only place that has any life on the streets at all. The rest of Denver is just a car-dependant wasteland of strip malls and empty streets.
And downtownnola seems to express a similar opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Hint: the best areas to explore are in the city. I personally find the 'burbs to be a bit bland and boring.
Yes and no. Yes, I too personally find many of Denver's suburbs bland and boring. No doubt about it. Areas like southeast Aurora, most of Douglas County, most of the SW metro area, and much of the Broomfield/NW corridor in particular bore me to tears. But I don't personally find the official gentrified "urban" districts in the city of Denver to be all that and a bag of chips either. I personally find the much hyped up "urban" areas like Capitol Hill and LoDo Highlands to be nothing special other than some old architecture that has been preserved. Architecture alone does NOT make a city in my view. Imitation Philly cheasestake joints and "NY Pizza" places are not what makes a real, "urban" neighborhood. I think a lot of what the yuppies have turned Denver into over the last 20 years is laughable. Wanna be east-coast style urban hipsters continually invent failed mnenomics for old neighborhoods. For example, East Colfax is referred to as "SoCo" in their language, South Broadway and the Golden Triangle is rebadged into "SoBo." I wouldn't be suprised if next year Five Points becomes the new "FiPo." Some of these areas do have nuggets of coolness and authenticity, but they are quickly being replaced with a generic mock-east coast "urbanity"-- nothing uniquely Denver about it. I take a function over form view of the world.

Areas like Washington Park aren't even urban at all; they are old suburban neighborhoods that happens to be within the jurisdiction of the center city municipality. And nothing wrong with that-- Washington Park is a nice park in a nice neighborhood, but people have blown it way out of proportion into something it really isn't. To some people, "urban" has nothing to do with population density and geographical characteristics of a place and everything to do with their own ideology in their black in white world of "urban" vs "suburban."

The most interesting places in Denver, in my view, are precisely some of the areas that you probably snub right now-- much of the "inner ring" of suburbs-- full of old strip malls and ugly commercial strips from an area long gone. Some of these areas are where you'll find some incredible hidden gems, ethnic and international, true cosmopolitan diversity. I developed a bunch of photo tours to show newcomers and oldtimers alike what Denver really has to offer, off-the-beaten-path. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Parker Rd/ Leetsdale Dr photo tour
Aurora photo tour-- Iliff Ave.
Photo tour: Federal Blvd

Other cool, hidden areas like the ones above include Colorado Blvd south of Evans (the University Hills area), the entire length of Colfax, West Colfax, and East Colfax including downtown Aurora (probably the most authentically urban and diverse area in the entire state of Colorado. Not saying it isn't a dangerous, seedy, grimy area, but it's authentic and real), Havana going through Aurora. And little things all over the place, here and there.

While Denver's new urbanist community, which is large and growing, have indeed accomplished a lot and have some bragging rights, they're not anywhere remotely near as cool as they think they are. And I think that's what throws off a lot of people like you; some of us just ain't impressed with these areas that architecturally conform to east coast style urbanist ideologies, but don't really have anything authentic about it. I actually don't blame you for thinking Denver is boring. But I encourage you to take advantage of what actually exists there on the ground, even if it means having to drive or take a bus to get there.

Quote:
I personally don't find Denver to be all that laid back. People here seem like they're always in a hurry and tend to avoid getting to know people around them. Lots of soccer moms speeding through red lights in their Suburbans to get their kids to practice.
I totally agree. I'm not sure where people, especially newcomers, get the idea that Denver is laid back, because it's anything but.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 11-20-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I agree with vegaspilgrim. Enough has been said about the "built enviroment". Are "the people" laid back? No, not really. I work in health care; most of the people I work with are def Type A. You are expected to show up except in the worst snowstorm, when you are sick with anything less than Anthrax, etc. DH works in engineering in Boulder, which is supposed to be even more "laid back". I don't think he's taken a sick day since our daughter had surgery almost 7 years ago, and that was to be with her, not for himself. I joked that if I had been working in a hospital at the time, they would have made me schedule the surgery on my day off! So no, people here are not any different than anywhere else. You are expected to put in an honest day's work for a day's pay.

Give it a little time. I think you will like it eventually.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 PM

227 posts, read 1,009,065 times
Spare me! This thread is well on it's way (save vegaspilgrim's refreshing reality check) to becoming a bash automobile and bash suburbia strip mall thread. If you don't like it, leave. If you don't want to leave then hide in Stapleton, the big suburb in the city limits. You don't even have to leave that progressive community if you don't want to.

Denver is old only in the middle. Everything from the outer city to the suburbs is new. That isn't going to change, and isn't necessarily bad.

"People here are so unfriendly".

If I had a dollar every time I read that one. It's as if people everywhere else are better... You control your own destiny when it comes to being sociable. If you don't talk to people they won't talk back. I find it harder to make friends in Denver. Not because the people are different, I am different. I am getting older. My priorities change. My responsibilities change. My outlook on life changes.

Quote:
I've met tons of great people since I moved here in 2004, but making good friends does take alot more effort here than in some places I've lived.

People here seem like they're always in a hurry and tend to avoid getting to know people around them. Lots of soccer moms speeding through red lights in their Suburbans to get their kids to practice.

Overall, I love Denver. I think it's a great place to live. I just don't think that it's as friendly and laid back as it is reputed.
Dare I ask in which Camelot this doesn't happen every day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
As for the people and the culture, I find the people to be cool and friendly. But also, I feel like there is not much energy here. Most of the people here seem to be sort of out-of-it or in their own little world. People around here don't seem like they want to meet new people or be engaging, and they have a big bubble around them. I feel like people are big on privacy here.
Unless you have met several hundred thousand people you can not possibly make that determination. I would suspect that you are having self worth and self perception issues. You're projecting onto others the feelings that you truly experience yourself.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:58 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
I think Denver is just a normal Middle-American city. To be honest, before coming here I had never spent much time in the midwest. But now I have traveled to other midwest states I am learning what it is all about. Some things about it are kind of hard to get used to. But now I am learning that I can't hate on it for what it is.

I wasn't expecting much out of Denver or projecting any views onto it. I have lived in 9 different cities in my life so I know that places always turn out different than expected. I know that it is a fools game to try to bring your old ways to a new city, you gotta adapt.

I was just a little bit shocked by what I sense as a lack of community here. It's a very ultra-individualist vibe in my opinion. And to me, well, there is a very generic and corporate, big box store feel to a lot of the city. More than any other place i've lived.

And getting around here by bicycle here sure is a challenge. There are lots of great paths to ride on, but since i've moved here I have probably rode about a thousand miles. I just ride and ride and ride through endless suburbia. It's getting me in shape at least.

And to the people on this thread who are taking what I am saying personally and taking it as an insult, lighten up I think that I am being very respectful here and my critisism is reasonable and in good taste. Maybe if people accept the faults of their city than they can work for a positive change right? Some people just never want to hear anything negative.....

I can say a lot of great things about it here too. There is a lot of sunshine, awesome parks, safe streets, reasonable cost of living, etc. I am happy here for sure, it is a lot better than many other places out there.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
I think a lot of it depends on your age. Younger people are going to want more of a city vibe with hip nightlife and lots of people their own age. You can frind that in Denver and surrounding neighborhoods like others have suggested. Its big enough to have some diverse and interesting areas, yet small enough to not be intimidating.

Coming from the east, I find people here friendly, although there are so many transplants, you can't peg that on Denver itself. I just like the climate, access to the mountains and outdoor activities here. I find it an exciting place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver