Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 01:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,748,042 times

Advertisements

Vegas: I have never been to Phoenix. I was talking about Albq. It was downtownnola who mentioned Phoenix. And I'm sorry, I see no beauty in drab browness. Not compared to lush Tennessee anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 02:13 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,953,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Pittsburgh looks pretty drab and ugly in that picture too; even considering that it was taken during the "green" half of the year, I doubt that picture really does Pittsbugh justice. Looks really hazy/polluted or something. Truth is, you can't use stupid aerial shots to "prove" anything about a city. I'd rather see pictures of what it looks like on the ground up. I'm sure Pittsburgh has its charms and has a lot going for it, but I truly do not believe it is any bigger or better of a city than Denver is.

If we're going to launch a photo war here of who's city is better looking in pictures, between my photos, Denver Aztec's, MobyLL's, and McGowdog's, Denver's got a winning team.

You can't compare the two cities. Every city has something in common with another. Hell, Toledo will have things in common with San Diego.

Pittsburgh feels about the same size as Denver. It is hard to describe though. We have 55 sq miles with a lot of the land covered in Rivers, unlivable hillsides, and large parks. Denver is 155 sq miles with a lot of parks, and the area by the airport. The metros are very similair in population with Denver raising and Pittsburgh leveling out.

Pitsburgh is much more dense. The neighborhoods on the southside, and northside, and some of the east are dense row neighborhoods that are not found in Denver. You have more of a Dense eastern city feel here that is not found once you get past St. Louis.

I was catching up on this thread. The biggest thing that struck me moving home after being in Denver for 3 years was the vegitation. I moved back in May and holy crap it is different. You can drive the interstate like I-70 in colorado and see nothing but trees from April-October. Than in winter you see that there are houses actually down there. The vegitation is a huge difference here when it comes out.

I know Mobyll and Denveraztec's photos from Skyscraperpage. They are great photographers. I would suggest looking at this link below. Matt Robinson (Known as Flash on SSP) also takes amazing photos and does my city justice also. I know it may be shocking. But Pittsburgh is an amazingly beautiful city. I love Denver, but people always expect it to be beautiful for being in Colorado. When I lived out west, People expected my city to be old, poor, and ugly with no technology (CMU means nothing)...............

http://www.pittsburghskyline.com/

Please look at that site.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Awesome you are Awesome. Thanks for giving a first hand idea of the two cities.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:29 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,836,627 times
Well the weather is anything but boring; today our high temp at 71 is higher than both
LA and Vegas, tomorrow expect snow high of 38....You can wear shorts and parkas all
in the same week on a fairly regular basis...

Old 12-02-2008, 02:31 PM

Just thank global warming for that. It wasn't always that way. Soon my property in Thornton will be oceanside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Well the weather is anything but boring; today our high temp at 71 is higher than both
LA and Vegas, tomorrow expect snow high of 38....You can wear shorts and parkas all

Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 PM

456 posts, read 1,581,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I do love this crazy a** schizophrenic weather!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 PM

I love not having to wear gloves, and a hat and three shirts and a sweater and an itchy wool coat!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,386,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Vegas: I have never been to Phoenix. I was talking about Albq. It was downtownnola who mentioned Phoenix. And I'm sorry, I see no beauty in drab browness. Not compared to lush Tennessee anyway.
If the only color you see in all the photos I've just posted on this thread over the last day (which included scenes in/around Denver, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, and Las Vegas) is brown, you might want to get your eyes checked. I see many shades of green, pink, red, blue, gray, black, yellow, white, and yes... brown-- and dozens of different hues of that color. This pathetic criticism of the western landscape as "brown," and "brown" as inferior to "green," unfortunately seems to be quite common in our culture, even among those who live in this part of the country.

And that's actually one of my biggest complaints with Denver; it's a city settled and dominated from day one until now by those who have attempted to make the place look artificially green like in the east-- at an enormous waste of precious water-- rather than embrace xeriscaping and the native landscape like Albuquerque (of course, I took a picture of a grassy quad at UNM and a golf course, so while they still have non-native turf grass there too, it's still not as bad as Denver) and Tucson have-- and even in the outskirts of Pueblo (the northernmost outpost of the desert southwest IMO).

Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 PM

93 posts, read 261,337 times
I think if I take a picture of Pittsburg with a 50mm lens, and from a similar distance take one of Denver with a 28mm lens, then Denver is going to look small.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,280,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
That is ironic because that is exactly what I always hear. Except replace the word Boulder with Denver and the word Denver with Fort Collins or Colorado Springs. Or replace the word Boulder with Fort Collins and the word Denver with Cheyenne. Or replace the word Boulder with Colorado Springs and the word Denver with Pueblo. Or replace the word Boulder with Springfield and the word Denver with Shelbyville...

Everyone along the Front Range likes to look down on some other town.
Well, yes, but as a Boulder Countian myself I can say that the ignorance of some Boulderites towards Denver is amazing. They think it's some "den of iniquity" where everyone smokes, no one recycles, everyone shops at a mall in national chain stores, etc. I will say the ignorance some have towards Boulder is similar: dirty hippies who eat granola and wear Birkenstocks all the time. Having lived in both and liking both, I think they are different but one is not better than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Just thank global warming for that. It wasn't always that way. Soon my property in Thornton will be oceanside.
Actually, I don't think the weather has changed noticeably anyway, in the 28 yrs I have been here. The first winter we were here was warm and dry, with very little snow. It was after that year that the ski areas put in snowmaking. A couple years later was the great Christmas blizzard of '82. Then the Thanksgiving blizzard of '83. A lot more I don't specifically remember. My kids hardly ever had a snow day off school from 1989 to June 4, 2005, but it snowed in Boulder on the latter date, the day my youngest graduated from high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver