Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times

Advertisements

haha, yes, I do have bad eyes. But sorry, compared to the eastern spots we talked about, Denver is brown to me. I did throw a bone though, there are worse areas as in brownness. As far as brown being worse than green, that's just a personal thing. I know tons of people who find beauty in the desert, while I think it looks awful. Just me. You and I have totally conflicting loves of cities and such, so it doesn't surprise me we disagree. It's all good though, I respect your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
If the only color you see in all the photos I've just posted on this thread over the last day (which included scenes in/around Denver, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, and Las Vegas) is brown, you might want to get your eyes checked. I see many shades of green, pink, red, blue, gray, black, yellow, white, and yes... brown-- and dozens of different hues of that color. This pathetic criticism of the western landscape as "brown," and "brown" as inferior to "green," unfortunately seems to be quite common in our culture, even among those who live in this part of the country.

And that's actually one of my biggest complaints with Denver; it's a city settled and dominated from day one until now by those who have attempted to make the place look artificially green like in the east-- at an enormous waste of precious water-- rather than embrace xeriscaping and the native landscape like Albuquerque (of course, I took a picture of a grassy quad at UNM and a golf course, so while they still have non-native turf grass there too, it's still not as bad as Denver) and Tucson have-- and even in the outskirts of Pueblo (the northernmost outpost of the desert southwest IMO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 AM

Katiana: Re: the weather. I was actually cracking a joke. Hmm, I don't really know for sure. I'd have to do major research. And last I saw, I think even the scientists were in disagreement. I believe you though. And you know, our memories as kids are probably not exactly on point. : )

Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM

Is that really the truth? Are you a prof. photographer and can tell or was it just obvious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0457 View Post
I think if I take a picture of Pittsburg with a 50mm lens, and from a similar distance take one of Denver with a 28mm lens, then Denver is going to look small.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
OK, yes, Pittsburgh is greener than Denver. I forget how green it is there till I go back for a visit. The google earth pictures show green even in the winter. There are also more trees there.

However, if I think Denver reminds me in some aspects of Pittsburgh, who is to argue with me? It's my perception. A few other things: prominent business families in politics (Coors, Denver; Heinz, Pittsburgh), public benefactors gving money for the public benefit (the above, plus the Bonfils, Boettecher families in Denver; the Mellon, Scaife, and other families in Pgh), etc. Of course Pittsburgh had daddy bigbucks, Andrew Carnegie.

The first time I went to the DU campus I told DH it reminded me of the U. of Pittsburgh campus. He proceeded to tell me it didn't and I said, "Hold on here. I said it reminded me of Pitt; it doesn't matter what you think". Amazingly, he agreed with me (for a change)!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 AM

haha, yeah, perception is funny. It all has to do with us as individuals, my background is not yours and vice versa.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:21 PM

93 posts, read 260,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Is that really the truth? Are you a prof. photographer and can tell or was it just obvious?

I think it was fairly obvious that those photos were not taken with similar focal length lenses. The Denver shot is wide angle.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM

I see. I didn't notice that. Thanks for responding.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,150 times
im moving to denver from ny and im afraid that its going to be boring. I know its not going to be anything like ny,no where is.Being bored is a big problem for me so fingers crossed

Old 05-12-2009, 07:09 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan0805 View Post
im moving to denver from ny and im afraid that its going to be boring. I know its not going to be anything like ny,no where is.Being bored is a big problem for me so fingers crossed
Your statement sounds boring to me. Even the thought of worrying about it is boring. It sounds like you want to set yourself up for being bored---and you have not got here yet.

Your are telling me that you are not excited in new experiences. Anyplace that you are new, cannot be boring; at least until you seen all the sights.

When, I was in your shoes, and I was moving to a new area, I was sending away for brochures, maps, tourist guides and waiting with impatience for them to arrive. I went to the libraries and bookstores and got information on the place I was going. It increased my excitement. This was before the internet; now you get instant information.

Oh, yes, I was in your shoes--I am an ex New Yorker. I would assume by your statement that you are referring to New York City as "...to be anything like ny,no where is..." This is a typical statement from a New Yawker. NYC is great but it is not the center of the universe; it does not have the monopoly on culture; it is not a standard by which all other places are measured. It is New York City; It is unique but not the only unique place in this country.

You will see many differences in culture, environment, weather, topography in Colorado that will not be anything like New York; and some like New York; and some better than New York; and some less desirable to you, than New York.

If you cannot appreciate and develop an interest in these differences, and find activities that can occupy your life, then you will be miserable. Perhaps, then the boredom is not exogenous to you; but an endogenous feature of yourself. And wherever you live, you will not
livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-12-2009 at 07:19 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 08:11 PM

94 posts, read 184,615 times
There is plenty to do in Denver. Any place is what you make of it. You have to give it a chance when you first move here. It takes time to make new friends and discover the places and the things you love to do. Any place is boring if you don't have friends around you. I moved here from the Midwest, near Chicago, use to spend a lot of time in Chicago and St. Louis. Had fun in both cities, but I love it here in Denver. I am never bored here, and I am really just starting to meet people. It helps to love the outdoors, because there is so much to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver