Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:30 AM

7 posts, read 43,600 times

Advertisements

Root canal is always better than tooth extraction because it saves natural tooth and less invasive. A renowned dentist of Malo Advanced Oral Rehabilitation told me that it would be better to save your teeth rather than pulling it out. Therefore I would ask you to go for root canal treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 AM

10 posts, read 49,213 times
Get the canal. Once you lose one tooth, the rest move in to fill the gap.
Your teeth forwards naturally over time.
When teeth move about, pockets tend to open up between the side of the teeth and the gum. This exposes the periodontal ligament.
The periodontal ligament is attacked by bacteria - this ligament is vital to attach the gum to the teeth so no bateria can get down there. Once the ligament goes, calcus biulds and bateria invade down to the root. The gumbone is also attacked and a different set of more vicoius and dangeroius bateria called 'gram-negative' bacteria start living inside and about the hard calclus and start eating away to the tooth's root system.

Not only does this type of 'below the gumline' bacteria (its black anerobic bacteria not the white plaque) give you heart disease as it finds its way into your bllood stream and causes inflammation of your vessels, it also moves to the other teeth to open up more pockets.

All of this and you don't feel a thing during the first and maybe even later stages. Basically, lose one tooth and you end up losing the lot over time, its like a horror show - and fighting to keep a tooth with a >5mm periodotal pocket is a uphill stuggle.

And although very vigilent cleaning after root planing sessions and periodontal treatment can keep periodontal disease at bay, it's really just slowing its progress - eventually it will win.

Further more - having later implants is not usually a simple option, because of the degree of bone loss from periodontal disease. You may find that if you fancy a implant, you will have to first have a procedure to implant some dead mans bone into your gumline to build up the gumbone for a implant site. If you get a canal - your gum bone and other teeth will be preserved even though the canaled tooth will fall out in 10-15 years time anyway. So you can plan for a replacement implant in this time. I have no doubt in 10 years time implant technology will have advanced a great deal.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:53 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I need a root canal in a top molar second from the back tooth. It is very infected right now so I'm on antibiotics to kill the infection. I'm very nervous about the root canal and thinking about getting IV sedated for it if possible. I have heard of SOO many root canals never actually helping the tooth and having to get it pulled anyway later on. I'm worried about this happening especially since I'd be paying for the root canal out of pocket and then for it to not work or something. It would be a waste of the money. Do I root canal it or just have it pulled? I am 28 years old as an FYI if that matters.

I also dont want to pull it and then get an implant or bridge or anything. But the dentists say it will screw up your teeth by leaving a space is that true or a ploy to get money? Because I know 3 people who have had teeth pulled over 10 years ago and their teeth have never shifted into the hole. ???
My mother had a few teeth pulled instead doing root canals at time due to financial concerns. Now years later she regrets that decision as her face has a much shallower look.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Everyone who is responding specifically to the OP - the last time they posted on this thread was back in January of 2012 - almost two years ago. They first posted in 2011.

While the information is still good information, I'd hate to see anyone put in an effort to respond to someone whose situation has already been resolved.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I need a root canal in a top molar second from the back tooth. It is very infected right now so I'm on antibiotics to kill the infection. I'm very nervous about the root canal and thinking about getting IV sedated for it if possible. I have heard of SOO many root canals never actually helping the tooth and having to get it pulled anyway later on. I'm worried about this happening especially since I'd be paying for the root canal out of pocket and then for it to not work or something. It would be a waste of the money. Do I root canal it or just have it pulled? I am 28 years old as an FYI if that matters.

I also dont want to pull it and then get an implant or bridge or anything. But the dentists say it will screw up your teeth by leaving a space is that true or a ploy to get money? Because I know 3 people who have had teeth pulled over 10 years ago and their teeth have never shifted into the hole. ???
I had one in the same place but lower jaw. The top didn't fit correctly, and the entire tooth ended up rotting. So it had to be pulled. I haven't gotten anything put in the space and my teeth are fine.

That said, I have shovel teeth, and shovel teeth have more roots than other teeth, and the roots grow down into the jaw bone (when the dentist pulled the rotten tooth, it exploded, and he ended up having to drill the roots off the bone). Because of the super deep and plentiful roots, my teeth may not be as messed up as someone else's could be from having a space there.

However, my mom also has a missing tooth on her bottom jaw (more like the third or fourth molar from the back), and she's had no problems.

Personally, I'd say pull the tooth, and then get an implant. I know a lot of people with implants who like them and have no troubles.

Don't get a bridge though - don't shave down healthy teeth just to fill in a hole.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM

511 posts, read 799,806 times
Gosh, I'm probably facing this decision today. One entire corner of my back molar broke off last night. I have no insurance so I rather just pull it and then worry about filling in the gap sometime next year. After reading all the replies, there is no real clear choice. Both options have drawbacks. Really stinks that these dentists charge thousands of dollars yet expect you to pay in full immmediately.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:51 AM

506 posts, read 2,575,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Gosh, I'm probably facing this decision today. One entire corner of my back molar broke off last night. I have no insurance so I rather just pull it and then worry about filling in the gap sometime next year. After reading all the replies, there is no real clear choice. Both options have drawbacks. Really stinks that these dentists charge thousands of dollars yet expect you to pay in full immmediately.
That's unfortunate that you don't have insurance. You can still make payments since most dental offices will work with companies like Care Credit. Dental offices stopped acting like banks because patients would stop making payments on their bills. They have to pay Care Credit a percentage (just like credit card companies) but at least they get reimbursed up front. If you have bad credit then that's another thing. If you're only looking at the extraction of one molar I'm sure you could find a place to do it for only $150-300. Don't bother getting put to sleep unless you want to pay an extra $600-800 or more.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:53 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Before you decide do some research.

There has been a "statistically significant correlation" between root canals and cancer. Especially breast cancer. I would not have one. I'd get rid of the tooth before I would take the chance, even if it was a gazillion to one.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-08-2013, 12:41 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Do you live near a city that has a dental school? If so, try that. Whatever it costs you, It will be less.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Before you decide do some research.

There has been a "statistically significant correlation" between root canals and cancer. Especially breast cancer. I would not have one. I'd get rid of the tooth before I would take the chance, even if it was a gazillion to one.

20yrsinBranson
There's *less* than a gizillion to one chance that by living, you will get some kind of cancer at some point in your life, no matter what you do. As long as you continue to be alive, your risk for cancer increases.

There is -less- than a gazillion to one chance that by eating, you will risk choking on food. The more food you consume over the span of a lifetime, the higher your risk of choking.

Maybe you want to revisit your adamant hyperbole on what you would or would not do, given a gazillion to one chance of risk of unwanted results.

Also - please reference the reliable source where you saw that statistically significant correlation. I've never heard of ANY correlation between root canals and breast cancer, other than a couple of quack companies that sell supplements and fraudulent treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health