Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,223 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your insight. Her wisdom teeth are not bothering her. I think the dentist wants to extract them because that is what is normally done.
I can understand her concern about root canal but then extraction will leave a gap.
The dentist has mentioned having an orthodontist evaluate her for braces. I think she has a beautiful smile and to me I don't think it would be necessary as compared to my other daughter that did need them.
So if there is a root canal, how would that effect braces?

Lots of questions in my mind and I want what is best for my baby girl.
I have a bit of distrust in dentist as I think many of them have the theory the amount of work needed is directly proportional to the amount of insurance you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,072,591 times
No root canal. They don't last forever and will have to be replaced by an implant.

Go the implant route and bypass the root canal.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:02 AM

29,259 posts, read 17,024,970 times
I've heard many reports on RC's...I had one about 40 yrs ago and have crowns on 2 teeth and it's not given me problems...I was in my late 30's probably. I had another RC maybe 15 yrs ago and it's given me problems. Over the RC is a bridge of 3 teeth and next to the bridge is a molar that is has broken filling...the dentist says it can't be re-filled and wanted to pull the molar and most likely the bridge next to it would have been involved...

After two courses of amxocillan over the 10 yrs I'm still hanging on to this area as I don't want the trauma and the money spent on this major work. Then what about the spaces, I am not a fan of implants, don't want metal implanted in my mouth.

I keeping pain free with some remedies that I've learned about from holistic folks and sites and right now I'm doing good...this has been a 10 yr issue. I'm no spring chicken. I've had a lot of dental work in my life and don't want the trauma if I can help it.

This is for a younger child and if you can why not a consult with a holistic dentist. J

Old 01-28-2016, 05:12 AM

3 posts, read 10,223 times
Thank you, We are scheduling a second opinion with a holistic dentist.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:22 AM

29,259 posts, read 17,024,970 times
Good on the 2nd opinion, and thinking on these wisdom teeth and thinking over my life, I don't remember ever getting these teeth. I just looked this up and maybe 10% or so do NOT get them and they say it's a genetic thing. My grandgirl had her's taken out last year and had no problems I hear. She was 18. Keep us updated on your decision.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,981,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaGary View Post
Thank you for your insight. Her wisdom teeth are not bothering her. I think the dentist wants to extract them because that is what is normally done.
I can understand her concern about root canal but then extraction will leave a gap.
The dentist has mentioned having an orthodontist evaluate her for braces. I think she has a beautiful smile and to me I don't think it would be necessary as compared to my other daughter that did need them.
So if there is a root canal, how would that effect braces?

Lots of questions in my mind and I want what is best for my baby girl.
I have a bit of distrust in dentist as I think many of them have the theory the amount of work needed is directly proportional to the amount of insurance you have.
I think your assessment of the dental field's "theory the amount of work needed is directly proportional to the amount of insurance you have" is unfounded.

Also wisdom teeth don't always bother the patient, and might not bother them for years. But those teeth are more prone to decay, and if they shift they can cause damage to the molars next to them, and can cause bone damage as well in the jaw. This might or might not ever happen, and even if it does happen, it might not happen for many years. Your daughter's wisdom teeth will have only recently erupted (grown through her gumline) so there's really no telling what will happen when she's 20. But if the dentist thinks they're already growing in a bad position, it would be prudent to prevent problems, rather than fix them after the fact. Many dentists now take a "wait and see" attitude about wisdom teeth unless there's something immediately noticeable through x-rays or a visual inspection.

I'd say definitely get a second opinion.

As for braces vs. root canal - there's a member here on CD who is a dentist, maybe he'll post soon. I don't have an answer for that.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 AM

27 posts, read 79,540 times
You can go for root canal. There is no benefit for pulling out teeth. It may only the things get surgery on it which generally suggested by dentist.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,258 times
If you can find a dentist you trust, you're very lucky, because even the holistic ones are not always trustworthy. My most recent dentist, Dr. Thomas Gent at Sola Dental, who talked me out of my root-canaled molars and botched the replacements. I ended up with massive gum and bone loss and now will likely lose most of the rest of my teeth! I am suing him and he is under investigation with the state dental board. Do not spend your money and threaten your health! I was just fine with root canals. My health really went downhill after all the surgeries, antibiotics, and corrective surgeries. It’s taken two years and I am always depressed. I was disfigured for 18 months. What I wouldn't give to still have those root canaled teeth that caused me no problems!

Old 02-23-2017, 12:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,836 times
My teeth never shifted either. That shifting stuff is bs.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,836 times
The benefit is saving money when pulling. a RC guarantees nothing. Now that said, it's much easier to pull teeth if it's the far back teeth, the very last in the back because it won't destabilize any of the teeth. I'd not want to pull one up front and then weaken the ones on either side. RC's are expensive. Weigh the good and bad. Finances, vs age, vs position of tooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health