Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 PM

292 posts, read 1,244,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I need a root canal in a top molar second from the back tooth. It is very infected right now so I'm on antibiotics to kill the infection. I'm very nervous about the root canal and thinking about getting IV sedated for it if possible. I have heard of SOO many root canals never actually helping the tooth and having to get it pulled anyway later on. I'm worried about this happening especially since I'd be paying for the root canal out of pocket and then for it to not work or something. It would be a waste of the money. Do I root canal it or just have it pulled? I am 28 years old as an FYI if that matters.

I also dont want to pull it and then get an implant or bridge or anything. But the dentists say it will screw up your teeth by leaving a space is that true or a ploy to get money? Because I know 3 people who have had teeth pulled over 10 years ago and their teeth have never shifted into the hole. ???
I lost both of my molars second from the back on the bottom when I was young. The remaining molars angled into the space. I've since had braces to correct my bite and now have a retainer with a spring that is pushing the molar back upright so something (bridge or implant) can go into the space. So, yes, it can happen. You're putting lots of pressure on those teeth through chewing and if there isn't anything around it to keep it in place, it might tilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
So maybe I should try waiting it out until next year when I have the money and just hope it doesn't get infected again between now and then ???
Get it done as soon as you can, I waited and had a horible infection, I was really lucky that it did not end up causing serious problems.Please dont wait to long, you can get really sick from an infected tooth.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 30,112 times
I am facing the same problem i.e. either root canal or extraction on a lower molar. However, I am 72 years old and wondered if it's still worth it saving the tooth? Please help with advice. My general health is not good and I had my third total hip replacement two years ago. If I have the root canal, would I need a crown considering my age? Thank you for any help/advice.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:24 PM

403 posts, read 867,335 times
I've had 8 root canals. They are no big deal, more like an intense filling that takes approx 3visits to complete. I prefer them over fillings actually. After root canal I have little pain since nerve is removed, after a filling the tooth is ticked off from bring drilled on. Since its not the very last tooth I would do robots canal if the goth can be salvaged.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 59,760 times
hopper123Hi -

I'm twice your age (56), so I would imagine that your immune system is probably better than mine, but I am in a situation like yours where dental health professionals are talking about definite root canals or pulling teeth. I also have had my entire side of my face swell up due to the tooth nerve infection (twice), but I believe now that I can avoid either a root canal or extraction. I cannot recommend what is working for me (you know the drill), but I don't want to see someone half my age lose a tooth if they don't have to. Two and a half weeks ago I had severe soreness and pain due to a nerve infection of a upper jaw molar which quickly resulted in the swelling, so I tried a number of things on my own to kill the infection which are briefly summarized below. For a number of reasons, I cannot recommend them, but they are working for me, so I thought I should mention what I've done so far.

I am just recovering from a gum boil due to a nerve infection of a tooth. However, I believe that most dental health professionals will not give the best advice as to how to get rid of such an infection, short of surgery. However, I believe that there are alternatives. One way to temporarily minimize soreness is to run hot water (not too hot) over the area including the gum boil while in the shower - the above body temperature water (that doesn't scald) will probably kill many of the bacteria that are near the surface.

However, the gum boil is the 'drainage' site of a root or gum infection, and an antibiotic may be necessary to remove it. Here is what I am doing in my own case, although I cannot recommend this to others, even though it seems to be working for me: Whenever I am not eating and during the night, I put a portion of a cotton ball covered with antibacterial ointment between my cheek and the affected gum area (assuming it is on the outside of the gum as most gum boils seem to be). This appears to reduce the inflammation and swelling, in my case. It appears that even though the previous recommendation has stopped the drainage and tooth root infection in my case and the gumboil and swelling is gone, that some of the infection has moved to the jawbone. I have a prescription for an antibiotic which comes in a capsule which may be useful here. So, what I am starting to do is to empty a capsule in hot water and a tablespoon of DMSO and once or twice a day, take a mouthful and swish it around the affected tooth/gum area for several minutes before swallowing it (you don't want to add too much DMSO due to potential stomach upset). DMSO has the potential to allow much of the antibiotic to permeate the gum which should accelerate the destruction of hard to eliminate bacterial infections, in say the bone, which is my goal. When I accomplish this, I think my problem will most likely be resolved. Best of all, with the antibiotic treatment I mentioned above with the cotton swab, I felt a response in the tooth nerve region this evening, so, because of this and the fact that the drainage has stopped and the gum boil has disappeared, I plan to refuse to have a root canal. Of course, I should mention that the infection in my case has nothing to do with tooth decay but it seems to be a result of an incompetent onlay where the 'dentist' either did not sterilize the tooth, or 'burned' the pulp during the onlay procedure.

Read more: Dental Health Forum - root canal, gum boil, question [url=http://ehealthforum.com/health/root-canal-gum-boil-question-t301333.html#ixzz1hzmY7RTV]Dental Health Forum - root canal, gum boil, question[/url]

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
root canal is good-- implants are not. consider dental tourism to tia juana.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 59,760 times
Part of the idea of what I'm doing to cure the problem I have is that I'm always hitting the infection with something almost 24/7. For instance, since I last posted, I did the antibiotic & DMSO thing for 7 minutes and the shower thing I mentioned, and I'd say 80% of the bone soreness I had when I last posted is gone (but the combination of the DMSO and the antibiotic that it transported through the gum leaves a pretty bitter aftertaste an hour later). Now, I've got the partial cotton ball with the antibiotic salve in my cheek against the sore area. Tomorrow morning when I wake up it might come back to half of what it was, but pretty much every time I hit it with one thing after the next, it pushes the infection back some more. So after a couple weeks, eventually the idea is it should resolve itself. I've been at this for a week and a half and I've gone from swollen face with eye half shut to less than one fingers breadth of slightly sore gum and essentially no swelling. It's time consuming but if it results in no surgical procedure being necessary and keeping the tooth as is, it's well worth it in my book.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
root canal is good-- implants are not. consider dental tourism to tia juana.
I disagree.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
I disagree with root canal vs. implants. They're two totally different things, done for different reasons. If the root is dead, but the tooth is fine, then a root canal will usually solve the problem. If the root is dead, and the tooth has also been compromised, then a root canal will be mostly pointless because the tooth will have to be replaced soon anyway.

Also, to "concerned999999...." warm water higher than body temperature and lower than boiling, will NOT kill bacteria and will in fact create a perfect petri dish for growing new bacteria. The reason you're getting boils and infections, is because you're not INGESTING the antibiotics that need to work in your SYSTEM and not at the location of your tooth. If you did what the dentist told you to do, you probably wouldn't have all these problems in the first place.

Also, DMSO is known to contribute to neurotoxicity of the brain, and as such, the last thing you'd want to do, is put it on an infection in the mouth (where nerves and blood vessels provide a direct access to the brain). Yes, it can act as a delivery method for other drugs. However it is indicated very specifically for things OTHER than infection. The FDA has approved it for interstitial cystitis (a bladder disease), but not for anything else.

I'd say that not only is the fact that you posted your use this method as an effective method even if it is just for yourself only, irresponsible, but the fact that you have boils at all is proof that your method fails and you need to try something a little more conventional. Like - swallowing those pills instead of rinsing with their contents while you eat.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I realize the thread was started abit ago and the OP has taken care of the situation, but here is my two cents.

I'm dealing with the same scenario today and was at the Dentist this morning. If I was the OP's age I would probably go with having the Root Canal and Crown. However I'm not that age. I'm 62 and it comes down to the cost for me.

I have two Dental Insurances one is primary the other secondary. My cost for canal and crown plus the office visit after insurances pay is $1200. I have a $5000 max a year on Dental Ins and honestly wonder why they don't pay more for procedures. I'm paying 50%. I have only used the Ins for a cleaning this year. I think its a huge rip off and thats just one tooth. God forbid it was several.

I have elected to have it pulled since its the back tooth on the bottom. I will have it pulled on Jan 3rd. Its the tooth the Dentist was to have put a crown on in two weeks. It concerns me he didn't check for problems with this tooth before, and would have just crowned it without doing a root canal in the first place. Its actually fortunate for me I developed a tooth ache before I wasted the money on the crown. Which I had planned on doing until this root canal business came up and the price became so outrageous. I obviously would have then had to have had a Canal done, since the tooth has problems the dentist didn't seem to know about. My cost for extraction after insurance pays is $33.20. Its no wonder there are probably quite a few people, especially older ones that elect extraction. The cost is just way beyond reach and overwhelming.

You have to do what you have to do. If the money is there and your not depriving yourself financially elsewhere to pay it. Then have it done. Still I think Dental Care is beyound outrageous and really should be addressed in this country. It is no wonder I see so many people with missing teeth and obvious poor dental hygiene in this country. Its very sad.

I hope everything went well for you OP with your Dental situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health