Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,844,744 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, I have to have a second root canal on a tooth that apparently had a "bad" root canal.

I was wondering how the procedure differs from the original. In this case I already had the hole and never got a crown and now it's broken. My original dentist wanted to remove my tooth but i went for a second opinion and they said all I needed was a new root canal, crown and post since I had enough of a tooth left.

Is the pain afterwards similar or less since the nerve is already dead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,825,924 times
Keep in mind that a re-do with a post and crown is only marginally less expensive then an extraction and implant, IF you don't need a bone graft (bone graft raises the price of the implant). And an implant is a singificantly superior option, even if you have to pay a little more. If you could afford it, I'd recommend extraction and implant instead. Insurance will pay for the extraction, but probably -not- for the implant. That's what makes it a tough decision.

All that being said - the pain will be pretty much the same. When you have the original root canal done, they removed the nerve (that's what a root canal procedure IS). So if you felt pain after it then, you'll feel pretty much the same this time around too. Possibly a little more, because they'll have to do some pushing and pulling and possibly a little laser-burning of gum tissue to get the crown to fit perfectly, and the healing process is uncomfortable (basically feels like you bit into a liquid-hot mozzarella pizza slice before it had a chance to cool off). Tolerable though, nothing a single vicoden and the rest of the day's worth of tylenol won't cure.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,846,811 times
If you have a root canal isn't the point to remove the entire root(s)? I've never heard of someone getting a root canal and then just letting it go - are you sure it isn't some infection?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,844,744 times
Well i survived! The doctor said this might be more sore than last since i had quite a bit of decay. I'm going for my core and post on monday.

I'm also on penicillin for my abscess so far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health