Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 01:59 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,059,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiFederalist View Post
Never ever ever leave a dead tooth in your mouth. Dentists are killing people with root canals and crowns. This is based on research by a team of scientists led by Dr Weston Price almost 100 years ago and suppressed by the ADA. If they admitted the truth they would have a massive legal problem.

Virulent bacteria is trapped in 300 miles of tubules in the Dentin and migrates throughout the body, especially to the heart. Read the "Root Canal Coverup".

Extracted dead teeth from humans implanted in rabbits. The human is healed and the rabbit gets the human's disease. Replicated hundreds, if not thousands of times.

I actually had my root canal biopsied after extraction and it registered "severe" levels of toxicity, which was suppressing enzymes and other bad things.

Same with mercury fillings; they are deadly -- just inches from your brain. Get rid of them. Stop calling them "silver" fillings.

I am 61 years old and have had mercury/amalgam fillings for over 40 years, a couple of huge ones in my upper molars too, just inches from my brain and I am doing just fine.

I have a couple of root canals too.

Maybe I'm immortal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 21,706 times
Discuss all treatment options with your dentist and consider getting more than one opinion so you can make an informed decision.
In making a recommendation for treatment, every dentist takes into consideration liability (and possibly ease of treatment and financial return); this does NOT always translate into the best option for the PATIENT.
As the patient, you must decide the best option for you.
Personally I do not think having a dead tooth (root canal kills the tooth) in your mouth is desirable, so, when I had 2 root canals recommended (over 15 years ago), I did a lot of research and opted to just do a crown on both teeth; I have NEVER had an issue with either tooth (my teeth were NOT infected and were causing me no pain; they only had very large fillings and one tooth had broken).

Tooth infection is nothing to mess with; it can cause permanent damage to your heart, go to your brain and even kill you.

It is my understanding that removing a tooth and leaving a space affects proprioception, occlusal strength, jaw bone integrity.

Bottom line, everything has a cost; if you choose the cheaper method of treatment, the long term cost to your health and quality of life may exceed the cost of what you "saved". I encourage you to make your choice based on best outcome for your health and quality of life and find a way to work out the cost; it may take extra work and even sacrifice but aren't you worth the extra effort?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,267,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

I am 61 years old and have had mercury/amalgam fillings for over 40 years, a couple of huge ones in my upper molars too, just inches from my brain and I am doing just fine.

I have a couple of root canals too.

Maybe I'm immortal.
If the mercury in amalgam fillings was as dangerous as is advertised by some, we'd have a lot of very sick dentists and dental assistants who deal with them every working day.

I just don't see dentists as a group really coming down with grave brain diseases at a greater rate than anyone else.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,686 times
For people who hate seeing their dentist or feel like they're not seeing somebody ethical or even pretending to be, then you need to find a new dentist! Even if it inconveniences you...I uses to feel like there wasn't such a thing as a "good dentist", but I now go to an office recommended by co-workers and it's the BEST office I've ever been to. I literally could NOT be happier! They have told me what procedures I MAY need, I DEFINITELY need, etc. And when I went there initially, I'd LITERALLY seen a dentist 2 days prior who told me I NEEDED some work done on my molars & this place said that though the procedures would be a good money maker for any dentist, all I REALLY needed was 2 extractions. Did that & they monitor the other things (which have since cleared up). They were blunt about extractions versus root canals, failure rates, etc. and alternative options. They even invited me to get other opinions & after it all, my office seemed to have the best options and care. AND it was cheaper.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 AM

10 posts, read 49,218 times
You had an underlying abscess which should have been cleared by the dentist who did the root canal. Instead the root canal 'sealed in' the infection until a 'gum boil' developed. You could have lost your life if the abscess moved through your body to your brain, heart etc... You may have a legal case against the dentist who did the original canal.
Most root canals are done properly and getting a extraction and then implant is a utterly stupid idea over a canal and a crown.

Here in the UK there is a fixed fee on the NHS of £50.50 ($120) for dentists to charge, a root canal is involved and takes 90 minutes, and a extraction takes 20mins. (A crown is extra) So you can guess what the dentists recommend to patients! So asking a dentist here whats best is not straightforward - because whats best for him is not whats best for the patient. No wonder we all have Austin powers teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqvisor View Post
I had a root canal done on my #19 tooth. For then past year it has been a bit tender. Man did I work extra hard to keep it clean, not eat with it much and just baby it. Then I got a pimple on the gum and I started feeling run down. Run down for almost six months. Saw a couple dentists who said, "try to save the tooth, maybe do another root canal." For what reason? The tooth as obviously harboring an infection. 2 rounds of antibiotics and I finally listened to one dentist who said, "that tooth is done. You've had it most of your life and it's time for it to get out of your body."

So I scheduled to have it taken it. Man I was nervous, so much that I asked for Ativan. I took one before I got into the chair. I still felt anxious. My blood pressure was up. Then the Dentist came in and we started chatting. I actually took another half. Soon I was relaxing A LOT. He kept talking to me about business and things. Got me numbed up. I remember closing my eyes and just feeling a bit of a tug and it was out. Really simple, no pain. Getting an extraction is very simple and does not take long. He stitched it up and I was out the door.

Two days later I felt my strength come back and I'm back to working out (a week later) and all is great.

Bottom line, if you have a bad tooth that is causing you problem after problem and sapping your energy, GET IT OUT! You can always get a bridge down the line or get an implant. Don't try to redo a bad root canal.

Seriously, if I can do this with all my anxiety issues, you can. It's a breeze and your body will thank you for it.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:40 AM

10 posts, read 49,218 times
Have to add to this - my nan is 91 and had all her teeth pulled after childbirth at 26. She is fit as a fiddle and of central european (German/Polish/Hungarian) stock. No dementia or other problems other than being a bit deaf.
However, with dentures you cannot taste food properly, chew properly or bite into a apple, and they never fit! So there is a huge disadvantage over keeping your teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
I'm with you, jambo.

At age fifty-eight, I've kept my teeth longer than most in my family. Our Northern Scots DNA isn't great in the tooth department - apparently. My great-grandmother had all her teeth extracted when she was twenty-six, due to a gum infection. She lived to be eighty-six and pretty much ate what she wanted.

Her eldest daughter (she had nine kids, as did I), my grandmother, had all her teeth removed early in life too, although I'm not quite sure at what age. She lived to be a few weeks shy of ninety-nine, and she too ate what she wanted.

My mother only had about eight of her own teeth, I think - four on the top and four on the bottom - but she died earlier than the others from a smoking-related illness at age seventy-two.

I have to go to the dentist soon as several fillings have fallen out, most of which are forty years old, so I can't complain. I'm told that I need several root canals now, but I won't be going that route. I'd rather have well-fitted dentures. My only concern was my ability to sing with dentures, but my dentist assures me that I shouldn't have a problem. Here's hoping; I sing for a living!

Mahrie.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,078 times
Boy , I am Glad I am finding this out know cuz I am going to the University of Detroit Mercy Dental School , I am 56 , and ready to get Rid of my old teeth taken out , yesterday I had my 4 front upper teeth pulled now talking about a couple root canal done , but from what I am reading what is the sense in trying to save these old teeth, Glad I found this article , made my mind up & will save me Alot of $$Cash$$ , ( time for dentures ) lol.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:13 AM

83 posts, read 104,596 times
Tooth extraction cost less than a root canal. If your dentist is advising you to pull the teeth then, it is better to do it because your tooth is badly infected and it may not possible to do the root canal properly.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,178 times
My 13 year old daughter recently had a rear molar cavity filled. The dentist said the decay was deep close to the nerve and said if it gives her problems she may need a root canal.
Now it is giving her pain. Her wisdom teeth have not been removed. The dentist suggest doing that when the insurance refills.
We now need to do something about the rear molar. My wife does not like what she hears about root canals. I have had several and I think I’m still normal.
My wife think maybe it is best to extract the molar and let the wisdom tooth move forward. Any words of advise or experiences would be appreciated. We have not discussed this with her dentist yet.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaGary View Post
My 13 year old daughter recently had a rear molar cavity filled. The dentist said the decay was deep close to the nerve and said if it gives her problems she may need a root canal.
Now it is giving her pain. Her wisdom teeth have not been removed. The dentist suggest doing that when the insurance refills.
We now need to do something about the rear molar. My wife does not like what she hears about root canals. I have had several and I think I’m still normal.
My wife think maybe it is best to extract the molar and let the wisdom tooth move forward. Any words of advise or experiences would be appreciated. We have not discussed this with her dentist yet.
1) Unless the wisdom teeth are causing problems, there's no reason to extract them at all. I had only two grow in, one became loose and the dentist pulled it out without any anasthesia at all - it was mostly painless since it was already loose. The other had a cavity last year, and he pulled it out then. Both wisdom teeth were in my mouth for over 30 years before either of them needed to come out.

2) Is your wife a dentist? A hygienist? Does she have some kind of knowledge that the dentist doesn't have, that leads her to conclude that the wisdom tooth will move forward if the molar is extracted? Does she have any understanding of how long that process takes? It could be YEARS of your daughter having to chew on the other side of her mouth, which puts extra strain on THOSE teeth - before that wisdom tooth moves forward. And that's only if it moves forward. They don't always do that. In fact sometimes they become impacted - which is why they sometimes have to be removed. And of course with all that freedom to move, it could move in a way that makes things worse than they were before you started.

My advice: Either do as the dentist suggests, or get a second opinion and do what the other dentist suggests.

In either case, ask a lot of questions. You should ask the first dentist about the wisdom tooth idea. Maybe he'll take a look and determine that it's the perfect solution. But that's not for anyone here on CD to say, since none of us are dentists looking at your daughter's x-rays and mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health