Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times

Advertisements

Probably true, though I do think that some places are more demonstrative and spontaneously friendly than others. In fact, I know that to be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 7,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB123 View Post
You are too funny, you have it all wrong. We are from New York. My wife and 2 kids moved here 5 years ago to start a new life. We were told this is the place to start a business lol. I have 24 years experience in my prof industry, 15 years in my own business. We were very happy until we moved here lol. I can talk and like to talk with everyone, I'm very friendly and the only people that talk to me and do business with me are people from other states that moved here.

The original people have told me the following: go back to where u came from, You New York people have raised our taxes, You won't fit in here unless you drive a pick-up truck, I only do business with people that were born here, I can't buy anything from you your prices are too low, Who cares about those people in 911 they had insurance. Where are you from, where did you move from lol once you tell them they never talk to you again.
I visited a large statewide company downstate and the director said how dare you come here and try and take over the state, I know how you New york people are. LOL LIKE I WAS SATAN HIMSELF.
I gave up the full time business and got a job from a company in Maryland lol. - lucky I did because they don't hire people in my industry from New York in Delaware. I still needed to service companies in Delaware, my first day at my new job after I left an account in Millsboro the client called and said to my manager HOW DARE YOU SEND SOMEONE TO MY OFFICE FROM NEW YORK, Wheres my regular service person LOL The regular service person was going to be replaced by me because he was very unreliable and customers complained all the time about him EVEN THAT WOMAN LOL.
My manager told me not to tell people in Delaware where I moved from because they will complain and that they hate people from NEW YORK and I will lose my job.
I was let go after a giant Utility company in Delaware that I had serviced many times and taken very good care of told my manager that he never wated me to step foot in any of their offices again LOL (I only spoke to the man that made the phone call for 1 minute LOL I completed my work and made his machine work and had him sign the paperwork.) I went back to his office to ask him what I had done wrong but he wasn't there I called a few times to ask the manager and a sec that I know at the site about him and why would he do that. LOL the state police called me and wanted to kno if I was out to get him lol he told them I was going to harm him. I told the police I only wanted to know why and what I had done wrong because in over 20 years I had never experience such an event or a complaint. Lol I never found out Why and probably never will. I still have a business in Delaware and still have a very hard time paying the bills, feeding my family, and connecting with people. We have no friends and our families live in other states.
CORRECT. As soon as you let them know you are from NY everything goes downhill. I think their jealous ( at least the delawarians that react so negatively). I have better relations with people from anywhere else but DE. I regret moving here and will move back to NY. They have the wrong perception and are judgemental. As soon as I visit NY people talk to me willingly and compliment me. I'm leaving soon. Getting a job here is nonexistent. Other states call me. Out of state jobs are the norm. They do not have to welcome me. I think their way of life plays a big part in their miserable attitudes. Only talking about my experience so delawarians try not to be rude about my post.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,616 times
Look around. People in Delaware hardly talk to each other. NY people are willing to talk and would even ask to share a table in public if a seat is available. They never shared a table or went that far in socializing. Different culture. I feel like run ning back to ny and I will. It's just expensive but I realize that happiness is priceless.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:49 AM

71 posts, read 205,321 times
That is really unfortunate. I must say, that is far from my experience. I find folks down here to be some of the most friendly people I have ever met.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:01 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I am from Long Island and can honestly say there are NY'ers that won't give you the time of day just like anywhere in America. I agree with ictulips we have found the state to be very welcoming. Now I do live in an area that is largely transplants but I have been to Dover and Wilmington to name just two places and had wonderful experiences with everone I contacted. I could never generalize that an entire state is unfriendly.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
I also live in NY, currently Long Island but many years in The City. Generally the people in Delaware have been very friendly in my many visits over the last few years. NY may have been great at one time, but it no longer is.....when I move to DE I will also be highly unfriendly to NY'ers ;-)

Old 05-16-2014, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,173 times
I just returned from a visit to the Dover area. Having spent most of my life in California and Wyoming I was surprised at how friendly the people are in Delaware. We enjoyed are visit so much we bought a house in Hartly DE. Looking forward to moving there and enjoying the nice people.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:48 PM

293 posts, read 590,100 times
I visit Delaware a few times a year most of my life.And I Am from Cape May NJ.I have always been treated great,everywhere I go in the State.Never had any problems.All the stores,restaurants,motels,and even talked to alot of the true locals.I was treated perfect.Thats why I love Delaware so much.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,257 times
My husband is retiring next year but not me, I sure want a more peaceful way of life but still be able to have big city museums and such close to us. Seriously looking at Delaware will be coming to visit in October.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 4,257 times
Me too! Congratulations on your move. Any tips you could give me I would appreciate. Great to hear the people are nice in Delaware. I am very outgoing and this is wonderful to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware