Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 PM

243 posts, read 915,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
Did it get annoying when she was sick? LOL

We are slowing getting to know our neighbors, I think once summer is here and less rain we will get to know more. Since hubby brews beer we probably will beating them off with a stick. LOL
They are the sweetest neighbors. I only hope my DE neighbors will be just as great. Hubby met one neighbor when he went for the house inspection. They seemed nice, he said. But I wouldn't expect any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 01:54 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movn2del View Post
They are the sweetest neighbors. I only hope my DE neighbors will be just as great. Hubby met one neighbor when he went for the house inspection. They seemed nice, he said. But I wouldn't expect any different.
Well, movn2del....you'll just have to have a summer or fall party for a small group of your neighbors you're leaving. I believe you said your new property has a nice yard, with established landscaping, and with a view of Andrews Lake? Why don't you think about having a small garden party? If not this year, next year. They probably would would love that! I have a caterer I use for my garden parties, who's absolutely fantastic. I had a sit-down dinner for 12 people 2 years ago in my back yard, and it only cost me about $350, and it was first class. Buffet would probably be less, and this guy I use is the best around. He can set up a buffet with basic picnic food, to cold cuts/salads, to steamship round, shrimp and crab cakes. And, his desserts are out of this world, too!

Just an idea.......If you decide to do that, I'll help you get started, if you want.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:44 AM

903 posts, read 3,507,256 times
Hey movn2del (and Laural), now if Delly ain't friendly, I don't know who is! I've seen pics of the party she referred to.... and she's not exaggerating about it being first class! And her backyard was beautiful... everything was in bloom, and apparently she could not ask for a better day weather-wise!

Laural, we have already gotten to know one family we will live next to... through youth bowling and Cub Scouts. In fact, that's how we found out about the house! Hmmm, woods around one side, horses on another, and we already know one family. We're pretty set, as long as we keep the animal treats in hand! Don't know if neighbors brew their own, though, so we may be lookin' your way for hubby's samples!

movn2del, I think we've already figured out we'll be close enough to get together; I have a feelin' you and your family will settle right in! Glad to hear hubby met one of your new neighbors, always a welcome experience!

Mary

Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM

243 posts, read 915,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Well, movn2del....you'll just have to have a summer or fall party for a small group of your neighbors you're leaving. I believe you said your new property has a nice yard, with established landscaping, and with a view of Andrews Lake? Why don't you think about having a small garden party? If not this year, next year. They probably would would love that! I have a caterer I use for my garden parties, who's absolutely fantastic. I had a sit-down dinner for 12 people 2 years ago in my back yard, and it only cost me about $350, and it was first class. Buffet would probably be less, and this guy I use is the best around. He can set up a buffet with basic picnic food, to cold cuts/salads, to steamship round, shrimp and crab cakes. And, his desserts are out of this world, too!

Just an idea.......If you decide to do that, I'll help you get started, if you want.
We usually have a party every summer for friends. Unfortunately, we will not be able to do that this year. Packing, moving and all that. Our neighbors know we love them and will be invited to visit us in DE. Whether or not they take us up on it is another story. Personally we like the friendly backyard bar-b-q. Hamburgers, dogs, chicken, sausage, salads and such. Hubby mans the grill. BYOB for alcohol, we supply water and soda. Not into catering but we might be swayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Hey movn2del (and Laural), now if Delly ain't friendly, I don't know who is! I've seen pics of the party she referred to.... and she's not exaggerating about it being first class! And her backyard was beautiful... everything was in bloom, and apparently she could not ask for a better day weather-wise!

Laural, we have already gotten to know one family we will live next to... through youth bowling and Cub Scouts. In fact, that's how we found out about the house! Hmmm, woods around one side, horses on another, and we already know one family. We're pretty set, as long as we keep the animal treats in hand! Don't know if neighbors brew their own, though, so we may be lookin' your way for hubby's samples!

movn2del, I think we've already figured out we'll be close enough to get together; I have a feelin' you and your family will settle right in! Glad to hear hubby met one of your new neighbors, always a welcome experience!

Mary
Well, we will have to put some work into the backyard for flowers. There are trees in the backyard and some bushes and flowers in the front. I know that we will have to get a burning bush and a lilac bush to put somewhere. They are my favorites. I agree Mary, Delly is friendly. It also sounds like she puts on terrific parties. I like casual, help yourself parties.

We are close enough to get together. I'm sure we will meet plenty of neighbors just from walking the dogs. Most people where we live now know the dogs names. I'm not sure they know ours.

We have no doubts that we will fit in and make friends.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 PM

903 posts, read 3,507,256 times
Hi movn2del,

Had to laugh at your current neighbors knowing the dogs' names, but not yours and/or hubby's. Way back when, we lived in NY with the in-laws, our 2 small children, and large golden retrievers. The in-laws have a corner lot, in a busy neighborhood, the same one hubby came home from the hospital to when he was born. SO, neighbors knew HIS name, but in the almost 2 years the kids and I were there, few knew mine.

Now, even 15+ years after we moved from NY, lots of folks still ask about Duke and Sandy (the dogs, not our kids). Funny how some people remember too much about animals, and not enough about their owners/caretakers!

Mary

Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 17,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
I certainly hope no one ever intentionally gives the wrong directions to a hospital....or in any other sort of emergency.

Maybe I'm an odd ball (OK..I am), but I don't understand how that's fun? I do have an acquaintance who grew up in the rural south, and, yes, that's her idea of fun. I see it as an opportunity for kindness and consideration. Giving the wrong directions to a driver in an over-crowed, unfamiliar driving area is really an opportunity for creating an accident. That's fun?

petoonya, what happened to you and where? If you don't mind sharing.
Hi there! I don't see how its fun either, like another post said "its like missing the punchline" since you don't actually see the person getting lost etc. While I may be from NYC, and know that place like the back of my hand, I have never been able to get the hang of Wilmington. I tend to get lost everytime I go into that city. Well one day I needed to find that really big building off of Delaware Avenue that has the DuPont sign on the roof (its kind of triangular in shape and a high rise). Well I asked someone if they knew where that building was (I knew the actual name at the time) and they said "Oh sure I know where that building is. Just go down this street, make a left, go 5 blocks and turn right at the next intersection etc" Well he had me drive about 3 miles total for 35 minutes in rush hour traffic, only to end up at the building, which was 2 blocks from where I originally spoke with him.

Very rude if I do say so myself

Old 05-30-2008, 08:15 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,005,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petoonya15 View Post
Hi there! I don't see how its fun either, like another post said "its like missing the punchline" since you don't actually see the person getting lost etc. While I may be from NYC, and know that place like the back of my hand, I have never been able to get the hang of Wilmington. I tend to get lost everytime I go into that city. Well one day I needed to find that really big building off of Delaware Avenue that has the DuPont sign on the roof (its kind of triangular in shape and a high rise). Well I asked someone if they knew where that building was (I knew the actual name at the time) and they said "Oh sure I know where that building is. Just go down this street, make a left, go 5 blocks and turn right at the next intersection etc" Well he had me drive about 3 miles total for 35 minutes in rush hour traffic, only to end up at the building, which was 2 blocks from where I originally spoke with him.

Very rude if I do say so myself
petooya, I'm sorry you had that experience. There are weirdos everywhere I suppose, but when something like this happens we tend to connect it to the place where it happened. I suppose even one of us here on the DE forum may exhibit a lack of good judgement and make poor choices. If we all treat others as we wish to be treated.....well, we all know the routine. Sadly it doesn't always happen. I think your experience was beyond rude. It could harm someone or create great difficulty for them. Rude is just being a jackass. This person was a jackass with a purpose.

I hope you've had more positive experiences in the state of DE which might offset the unkind encounter you had in Wilmington.

btw, I avoid driving in that area as much as I possibly can. Driving in DE can be an Olympian experience at times.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 PM

65 posts, read 233,732 times
Well so far I would have to say that people here in Delaware are by far the friendliest people I have ever met!
beachanyone

Old 06-06-2008, 07:24 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times
I'd like to talk about this from two perspectives. The first is as a very active member of City Data who participates in many different threads around the forum. I have had the opportunity to read and post in many different state forums and there are some that stand out as clearly the friendliest. Delaware and Maine are probably the two that stand out for me. My assumption is that the majority of the people who regularly post in state forums live in that state, therefore I'd have to include Delawareans as amongst the friendliest.

The second view is a person one from having visited the state many times. In the past five or six years, my wife and I have visited several states while considering where we would like to retire. Given our personal interactions with people in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Delaware, South Carolina, Illinois, Connecticut, etc (and of course our own knowlegde of New Yorkers), the folks we have met in Delaware were generally so much friendlier than the other states that it helped make our decision to retire in Delaware much easier.

Now anywhere you go, there are always going to be a few clunkers, a few unfriendly types, a few negative types, etc. That's just part of life. Further - if YOU are not the friendliest of individuals, you'll find it harder to find friendly people. But in general, I'd have to say that Delawareans are amongst the friendliest people I've met!

Charley

Old 06-06-2008, 08:25 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I'd like to talk about this from two perspectives. The first is as a very active member of City Data who participates in many different threads around the forum. I have had the opportunity to read and post in many different state forums and there are some that stand out as clearly the friendliest. Delaware and Maine are probably the two that stand out for me. My assumption is that the majority of the people who regularly post in state forums live in that state, therefore I'd have to include Delawareans as amongst the friendliest.

The second view is a person one from having visited the state many times. In the past five or six years, my wife and I have visited several states while considering where we would like to retire. Given our personal interactions with people in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Delaware, South Carolina, Illinois, Connecticut, etc (and of course our own knowlegde of New Yorkers), the folks we have met in Delaware were generally so much friendlier than the other states that it helped make our decision to retire in Delaware much easier.

Now anywhere you go, there are always going to be a few clunkers, a few unfriendly types, a few negative types, etc. That's just part of life. Further - if YOU are not the friendliest of individuals, you'll find it harder to find friendly people. But in general, I'd have to say that Delawareans are amongst the friendliest people I've met!

Charley
A big big welcome back Charley So glad the worst is behind you.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Bill and I also found this to be true. Delware on a whole is friendly.
Where ever we go, people we dont' even know smile and say hello. That would not happen in the area we came from. Only if they knew you.
There are a few kooks but that is anywhere you go.

Your post deserves a Star
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware