Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:14 AM

243 posts, read 914,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I LOVE your posting........very true, very real, and quite wonderful
Here is a sampling of proof there are nice people in Delaware. The answer is absolutely, positively YES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 PM

405 posts, read 1,375,547 times
Being from CA I'm still amazed how people in DE are so friendly and want to chat with us. We already have favorite waiters at some of our restaurants that we ask for by name, one guy is such a horrible waiter but he is so hilarious and funny that we ask for him each time.

I've even had a conversation with my neighbor at my 4 ft high fence, I've only seen that in the movies. LOL

Now if I can only get use to this weather.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:52 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Glad things are working out for your Laurel. That's funny.....friendly people surprising you! And, actually, we locals are surprised when we are walking towards someone, and when we get closer, that person avoids eye contact! That's a sure giveaway they are not from around here. But, we don't let them get away with it and say Good Morning, or something. Many newcomers act a little suspicious and seem afraid to speak to us. But, maybe from where they come, they have good reason. They'll change their ways, in time.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 PM

65 posts, read 233,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Glad things are working out for your Laurel. That's funny.....friendly people surprising you! And, actually, we locals are surprised when we are walking towards someone, and when we get closer, that person avoids eye contact! That's a sure giveaway they are not from around here. But, we don't let them get away with it and say Good Morning, or something. Many newcomers act a little suspicious and seem afraid to speak to us. But, maybe from where they come, they have good reason. They'll change their ways, in time.

Delly, That reminds me of myself...avoiding eye contact. Unfortunetly I have spent too much time avoiding strange glares from people in the state we currently reside that I just don't even look people in the eye anymore!
You are right, people from DE don't let us get away with that!!! We are moving in 2 weeks so I am going to have some adjusting to do.
Tabitha

Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
I certainly hope no one ever intentionally gives the wrong directions to a hospital....or in any other sort of emergency.

Maybe I'm an odd ball (OK..I am), but I don't understand how that's fun? I do have an acquaintance who grew up in the rural south, and, yes, that's her idea of fun. I see it as an opportunity for kindness and consideration. Giving the wrong directions to a driver in an over-crowed, unfamiliar driving area is really an opportunity for creating an accident. That's fun?

petoonya, what happened to you and where? If you don't mind sharing.
Argh, I can't imagine deliberately giving the wrong directions to anyone. We walk our dogs in our neighborhood quite a bit and oftentimes are asked for directions, we always try to be accurate b/c it's no fun getting lost in unknown areas, it must be beyond frustrating (thank goodness for Garmins!).

Re friendliness, it's true people in the southern states are friendly, have always noticed when we go into a store, salespeople will ask "Can we help you?" and really mean it - whereas it's usually not quite that way in northern states (they may ask but it doesnt really ring true). JMO.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:30 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
I'm sure that as in every other state in the nation, there are going to be some people who will be happy to receive me as a newbie in Delaware, and some who will not be happy about another New Yorker coming to invade their space, clog their roads, abuse their services or whatever the complaint du jour might be.

In my visits to Delaware in the past several years, I've been very lucky to have met extremely friendly individuals who seemed genuinely welcoming when I shared my plans with them. For me, the strategy is a simple one. I'll be able to distinguish those who welcome me from those who are not interested, and do my best to show those who welcomed me that I was worth their welcome. For those not interested in me, I wish them a long and happy life and say "bye bye". It's their loss.

I do presume I will meet many more welcoming folks than the other.

Charley

Old 05-17-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Argh, I can't imagine deliberately giving the wrong directions to anyone. We walk our dogs in our neighborhood quite a bit and oftentimes are asked for directions, we always try to be accurate b/c it's no fun getting lost in unknown areas, it must be beyond frustrating (thank goodness for Garmins!).

Re friendliness, it's true people in the southern states are friendly, have always noticed when we go into a store, salespeople will ask "Can we help you?" and really mean it - whereas it's usually not quite that way in northern states (they may ask but it doesnt really ring true). JMO.
Ya know Honeycrisp......I've never heard of that before giving wrong directions, just for the entertainment value. That's a new one on me!

We had (an unplanned) breakfast this morning with a Virginia couple at Dover Downs. Our tables were relatively close, and before we left we exchanged telephone numbers, addresses, and shared our thoughts on our pet peeves. We each told our ages, how many children/grandchildren we have, and what we do for a living. They were such a delightful couple, and we touched on the fact that, it's a wonderful thing to be able to talk with strangers for 30 minutes, eat breakfast together, share the catsup bottle for the home fries, and part good friends! Virginia people, in my opinion, have always been friendly! What a great way to start the day!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I'm sure that as in every other state in the nation, there are going to be some people who will be happy to receive me as a newbie in Delaware, and some who will not be happy about another New Yorker coming to invade their space, clog their roads, abuse their services or whatever the complaint du jour might be.
Charley
Oh, most definitely, Charley! There will always be a certain number of people, no matter where ANY of us go, not being accepting.

The last time we drove to New York (which was a couple of years ago) I thought people were being friendly when I was trying to get in the correct lane, to get on the George Washington Bridge. Everybody was honking and waving, and I was waving back. My husband said....... "they are not waving to you to be friendly......they are honking at you to get out of their way, and they are making obscene gestures"
I know where I'm not welcome!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachanyone View Post
Delly, That reminds me of myself...avoiding eye contact. Unfortunetly I have spent too much time avoiding strange glares from people in the state we currently reside that I just don't even look people in the eye anymore!
You are right, people from DE don't let us get away with that!!! We are moving in 2 weeks so I am going to have some adjusting to do.
Tabitha
Tabitha, I hope things go well with your move. Whatever I can do to help you locate services, restaurants, places to shop, or other.....just PM me. I'll be happy to be your link to adjusting!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Ya know Honeycrisp......I've never heard of that before giving wrong directions, just for the entertainment value. That's a new one on me!

We had (an unplanned) breakfast this morning with a Virginia couple at Dover Downs. Our tables were relatively close, and before we left we exchanged telephone numbers, addresses, and shared our thoughts on our pet peeves. We each told our ages, how many children/grandchildren we have, and what we do for a living. They were such a delightful couple, and we touched on the fact that, it's a wonderful thing to be able to talk with strangers for 30 minutes, eat breakfast together, share the catsup bottle for the home fries, and part good friends! Virginia people, in my opinion, have always been friendly! What a great way to start the day!
That's sure a relief, Delly! Had to go to a meeting today not far from where we live but in an area I'm really not familiar w/. Had been there once before but a couple of years ago. Followed my hubby there (sounds pretty pitiful, doesn't it - ?!) who didnt stay - anyway afterwards I knew vaguely where I wanted to go and except for a few wrong turns (which I pretty much knew I did), I made my way home, none the worse for wear (had my cell phone just in case I needed it, felt brave and didnt want to ask for directions (was in a rush to get home too b/c we had plans).

How nice you made friends w/ another couple in the restaurant today! Hoping some of that is contagious when we go on vacation soon, it just makes it more fun overall (I'm sure my hubby gets tired of hearing just me talk but one of us has to, right - ?! )

Want to take the time to congratulate Marych on the newspaper article the other day, very exciting, wtg!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware