Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2020, 05:12 PM

13,064 posts, read 18,179,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Good luck with that! Even the 6' seems to be am impossibility for some. We had to go to Best Buy today because our TV died. It was fine going in....Stopped people at the door and arranged for someone to meet us at the TV section. Also taking the employees temps as they arrived. Then it went downhill. The guy that met us had a disposable mask that looked as though it was too big. Most of his nose was sticking out and he kept pushing it up with his fingers....probably about 30 times. I kept backing up but not sure it made a difference. And of course if you have gone TV (or car) shopping with a husband you know that it takes FOREVER. We finally chose what we wanted and I was waiting in the department for them to bring it up. Some woman came with a cart up the aisle. I moved away but she cut around the corner so close she almost ran me over. I moved to another place out of her way and then she came back up and around the corner again almost hitting into me and passing within a foot. Really people?? They did have sanitizer there which I used liberally. We stopped at Sam's first and again people practically on top of each other. I kept moving away and someone instantly moved into my space.

We are trying to stay healthy so if we ever get off NY's "naughty" list we can scoot up and see our daughter and granddaughter, but that appears to be a remote possibility with the numbers DE is generating.
For what is worth, I have heard there are some random stoppages going on for out of state plates and they ask where you are headed and then check to see if you are there for 14 days!!! Apparently you have to provide a phone number where you are going to be in NY. That said, I really doubt they can enforce it unless they hit your EZpass with a fine.

We had a BJ's membership and gave it up because we lost several months off the membership due to the virus and they would not budge on a few free months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 05:28 PM

9,741 posts, read 14,300,385 times
Rothbear....We can relate, and haven't seen our daughter and family in Pennsylvania since last Thanksgiving. We didn't get together last Christmas since the grandchildren are grown and some are in other states. So we thought we would get together in Spring 2020. Well, that didn't happen because of COVID. I guess we could make it across the border and visit, but the family decision is NO! None of us are willing to risk it. So, we e-mail and Skype for the time-being.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:02 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,882,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
For what is worth, I have heard there are some random stoppages going on for out of state plates and they ask where you are headed and then check to see if you are there for 14 days!!! Apparently you have to provide a phone number where you are going to be in NY. That said, I really doubt they can enforce it unless they hit your EZpass with a fine.

We had a BJ's membership and gave it up because we lost several months off the membership due to the virus and they would not budge on a few free months.
Apparently NY only updates their list every Tuesday according to our daughter. So apparently if they take us off on a Tuesday we will stay off until the next Tuesday. So it's a matter of timing where we can leave on Wednesday and come back Monday. They live in upstate NY and have had very few cases there. We go up 95 to 476 to 81 to 12...nowhere near the big hotspots. Also take our lunch with us and only stop once for bathroom using Clorox Wipes, soap and hand sanitizer heavily. Would probably take a can of Lysol spray with us as well. However she is a civilian employee with the Air Force and should we go up while still on the list she would be forced to quarantine 2 weeks plus take DGD out of daycare for 2 weeks and of course still have to pay. We won't risk that. As far as Sam's, luckily my husband's boss pays for a business membership on which we can piggy back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Rothbear....We can relate, and haven't seen our daughter and family in Pennsylvania since last Thanksgiving. We didn't get together last Christmas since the grandchildren are grown and some are in other states. So we thought we would get together in Spring 2020. Well, that didn't happen because of COVID. I guess we could make it across the border and visit, but the family decision is NO! None of us are willing to risk it. So, we e-mail and Skype for the time-being.
We also do the Google Hub every Sunday. Our granddaughter was born last November, so this will be her first birthday and the first Christmas where she will interact. We have missed so much. Last time we saw her she wasn't even crawling now she is about ready to walk. His parents live an hour away and he loves telling us about visiting them, etc. Rubs it in. The DGD thinks we live inside the Hub and I'm not sure she even recognizes us other than these strange people in the box. I know people have it worse and I should be grateful we can at least do the Hub thing. I really am, but since she is our only daughter and only grandchild I don't even feel like a grandmother as we never had a chance to really bond.

Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal just as everyone else.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Apparently NY only updates their list every Tuesday according to our daughter. So apparently if they take us off on a Tuesday we will stay off until the next Tuesday. So it's a matter of timing where we can leave on Wednesday and come back Monday. They live in upstate NY and have had very few cases there. We go up 95 to 476 to 81 to 12...nowhere near the big hotspots. Also take our lunch with us and only stop once for bathroom using Clorox Wipes, soap and hand sanitizer heavily. Would probably take a can of Lysol spray with us as well. However she is a civilian employee with the Air Force and should we go up while still on the list she would be forced to quarantine 2 weeks plus take DGD out of daycare for 2 weeks and of course still have to pay. We won't risk that. As far as Sam's, luckily my husband's boss pays for a business membership on which we can piggy back.

We also do the Google Hub every Sunday. Our granddaughter was born last November, so this will be her first birthday and the first Christmas where she will interact. We have missed so much. Last time we saw her she wasn't even crawling now she is about ready to walk. His parents live an hour away and he loves telling us about visiting them, etc. Rubs it in. The DGD thinks we live inside the Hub and I'm not sure she even recognizes us other than these strange people in the box. I know people have it worse and I should be grateful we can at least do the Hub thing. I really am, but since she is our only daughter and only grandchild I don't even feel like a grandmother as we never had a chance to really bond.

Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal just as everyone else.
Easy to understand your feelings, sometimes the grain of sand irritates more than a rock. I understand how you feel. Just this past week my "growing up" next door neighbor passed away. Not only were we neighbors til 2006 when my dad passed, but DH and I lived 18 houses away, so we were always there. I got the call on Tuesday and her daughter said she did not want me to come and I said we would not. It literally killed me not to go, but the church video's the funeral mass live, with the permission of the family, so I did get to watch on Friday. Her 6 surviving siblings were all there and I so missed sharing this, but she understood. Her mom was 95 - so while sad, it was a blessing.

Just last week, Dh and I were talking about Christmas. My only sibling is here and his siblings are on LI, so I doubt we will be going there. If we don't go it will be the first time in over 25 years that I did not make it in to see the Rockefeller Centre tree, St. Patrick's, and the store windows. More bummed about that than anything!

Old 10-25-2020, 07:07 AM

829 posts, read 632,456 times
Quote:

We didn't renew our BJ's membership either, as we haven't been there since February, having heard stories of poorly managed crowded conditions and depleted stock. We always had a love/hate relationship anyway and we're doing fine without them, so I doubt we'll be back.

I had to go to the Giant Pharmacy on Route 24 yesterday and while there, I picked up a few items. We've been doing Giant Curbside Pick-up and Instacart orders for about 90% of our groceries and the last time I went to the store, they'd removed the directional aisle signs on the floor, but they still had the 6 feet marks at the registers. Yesterday they seemed to be gone too and people were getting far too close for my comfort. I actually like grocery shopping, but I don't think I'll be returning to doing it myself any time soon, unless I have no choice.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
We didn't renew our BJ's membership either, as we haven't been there since February, having heard stories of poorly managed crowded conditions and depleted stock. We always had a love/hate relationship anyway and we're doing fine without them, so I doubt we'll be back.

I had to go to the Giant Pharmacy on Route 24 yesterday and while there, I picked up a few items. We've been doing Giant Curbside Pick-up and Instacart orders for about 90% of our groceries and the last time I went to the store, they'd removed the directional aisle signs on the floor, but they still had the 6 feet marks at the registers. Yesterday they seemed to be gone too and people were getting far too close for my comfort. I actually like grocery shopping, but I don't think I'll be returning to doing it myself any time soon, unless I have no choice.
You took the words right out of our mouths about BJ's. I have ordered the bulk items that I used to buy like laundry detergent from Amazon. I am like a bunny in the grocery stores. I run into Giant grab a wipe, and a check out gun and I am in and out pretty quickly. I also go to Weis, which is small enough and labelled very well, that I feel pretty comfortable in there.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:44 AM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 12,646 +67
KENT 3422 +15
SUSSEX 7802 + 32

Hospitalizations 103 n/c
Critical 21 -1

Our average % positive is at 6.9% through yesterday and 5.5% for the day.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:35 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,882,732 times
Quote:
You took the words right out of our mouths about BJ's. I have ordered the bulk items that I used to buy like laundry detergent from Amazon. I am like a bunny in the grocery stores. I run into Giant grab a wipe, and a check out gun and I am in and out pretty quickly. I also go to Weis, which is small enough and labelled very well, that I feel pretty comfortable in there.
There is a BJs near where daughter lives in NY and we used to go there now and again using a 3 mo trial membership. Each of us used our SC driver's licenses and then we used our DE licenses when we were there. Finally pulled the plug and joined with the special and went to the one in New Castle once. Had been to Newark several years ago with one of our trials. The NY one was decent and New Castle wasn't too bad but the Newark one was kind of dingy and not as well organized. We actually like BJs better than Sam's as they seem to have more stuff we use but going to New Castle or down south isn't practical now so we will probably just let the membership lapse and just use our "free" Sam's one. By the time things loosen up I figure BJs will probably be bugging us to join again. I do like the fact that I can use Scan 'n Go at Sam's and have the least number of people handling my stuff. Although I have to go with DH (he has been doing most of the shopping) as it is an app on my phone and he doesn't know how to use it. I also use my Samsung Pay at other stores so that the checkout people aren't handling my card or not having to stick it in the machine. I do have a Phone Soap here at home that I put in my phone every night and also put credit cards and keys in it as well.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
There is a BJs near where daughter lives in NY and we used to go there now and again using a 3 mo trial membership. Each of us used our SC driver's licenses and then we used our DE licenses when we were there. Finally pulled the plug and joined with the special and went to the one in New Castle once. Had been to Newark several years ago with one of our trials. The NY one was decent and New Castle wasn't too bad but the Newark one was kind of dingy and not as well organized. We actually like BJs better than Sam's as they seem to have more stuff we use but going to New Castle or down south isn't practical now so we will probably just let the membership lapse and just use our "free" Sam's one. By the time things loosen up I figure BJs will probably be bugging us to join again. I do like the fact that I can use Scan 'n Go at Sam's and have the least number of people handling my stuff. Although I have to go with DH (he has been doing most of the shopping) as it is an app on my phone and he doesn't know how to use it. I also use my Samsung Pay at other stores so that the checkout people aren't handling my card or not having to stick it in the machine. I do have a Phone Soap here at home that I put in my phone every night and also put credit cards and keys in it as well.
Another tech challenged DH with a tech savvy wife. Aren't we the best!!!! I keep telling him, if I die the lights will go out and the water will go off, the garbage pickup will go unpaid and worst of all, he may get really nicked on his part D coverage. He laughs and says " when the lights and water go off and they don't pick up the garbage I will call and explain that I was so bereaved that I forgot to look and I will pay it then."

The Part D he thinks he is in control of because you get 10K advertisements in the mail to change.

I do have a bible of instructions, but then he would have to remember where it is!!!!

Old 10-26-2020, 11:01 AM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 12,776 +130
KENT 3447 +25
SUSSEX 7854 + 52

Hospitalizations 108 +5
Critical 19-2

Our average % positive is at 7.2% through yesterday and 7.3% for the day. We lost 4 people yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware