Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 02:27 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,017,220 times

Advertisements

Ok, sent you two.I don't mind you posting them. I've never figured that part out. As usual I got so busy I forgot to take pictures. A friend grabbed my phone and shot a few for me.

My friend had such a good time. Come to find out she's never had a birthday party before!!!

She loved being the Bell of the Ball!! All the attention was on her for almost 5 hours.
I don't think I Have ever been so tired. That was sa lot to set up, watch over then clean up. Thank goodness for my hubby and a few friends.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,451,318 times
I'm glad to post the photos for you, Camper. You did such a nice thing for your friend. How sad that she's never had a birthday party, but it looks like you gave her a wonderful one!

Just click on each photo to see it larger:
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-party-01.jpg   Freebie chat part 3-party-02.jpg  

Old 11-03-2019, 04:48 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,428,422 times
Wow that looks great! And now I am more than a little sad that she never had a birthday party before. She sure looks happy (and pretty good for 80!!)

Old 11-04-2019, 01:03 PM

I wish I could have gotten a shot with the room all full. Not sure how many there were but I had 40 charis and there were still a few standing. We had music playing, cake and ice cream and a ton of presents.

Rita is pure German and full of pi$$ and vinegar. Hardly ever smiles and walks with a walker when she's not toppling over but she stood so proud and tall at her party. I was so proud of her, and for her. The last time we were all together was at her husband's funeral. Tom was one of the friendliest people I have ever met and every time he spoke of Rita he called her his bride.

My life is so much richer having her in it and I love my weekly visits and daliy phone calls.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:11 AM

Any time you want me to post photos of Rita or anything/anyone else, just let me know. I love seeing photos and sharing photos!

My mother was born in the Back Forest area of Germany in 1922. She came over to this country when she was in her mid-20s. In those days an immigrant had to be sponsored by a relative who was already a citizen and who agreed (in writing) to be responsible for that immigrant's lodging, food, getting a job, finances and everything else. The sponsor also had to agree to be held responsible for any legal issues the immigrant might have and pay for any expenses that the immigrant might incur. My mother's uncle, who had immigrated many years earlier, was her sponsor.

Most German immigrants lived in a certain section of New York and worked as live-in maids/caregivers while they learned English. That's what my mother did and, after she learned English, she worked in a hospital where she met my dad.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:16 AM

There's a Facebook memory page for those who grew up in the 1950s. (There are also memory pages for 1960s, 1970s, etc) I was looking through it today and was reminded of how I loved spending my summers in the local library. I'd walk up there each morning and be waiting on the steps when it opened. Then I'd sit at one of the tables and read all day long. I could have checked the books out and taken them home (and I did, when the library closed for the day) but I just enjoyed being surrounded by books.

Even today, I'd rather hold a book while reading. Yes, I google info on the internet but I dont really get the enjoyment out of looking at a screen that I get from touching and turning pages.

I think Ketabcha feels the same way.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:26 AM

I meant to add, about my mother, that she never lost her German accent and handwriting style. But that didnt stop her from becoming a very successful real estate agent for almost 50 years. She was a member of the Million Dollar Club for 30+ years and eventually was so busy that she was could handle only referrals and repeat business. (Other agents in her office made a good living off the business she turned over to them.)

I mention this because she was stern and, like Rita, seldom smiled. But clients seemed to appreciate her matter-of-fact honesty. I used to wonder why they werent offended when she told them, pointblank, that they couldnt really afford a certain house or advised that they should stay in their smaller current house for a few more years. But many of them told her they appreciated having an agent whose word they could trust and who didnt seem to be "in it" just to make money.

I'll bet Rita is the same way.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I meant to add, about my mother, that she never lost her German accent and handwriting style. But that didnt stop her from becoming a very successful real estate agent for almost 50 years. She was a member of the Million Dollar Club for 30+ years and eventually was so busy that she was could handle only referrals and repeat business. (Other agents in her office made a good living off the business she turned over to them.)

I mention this because she was stern and, like Rita, seldom smiled. But clients seemed to appreciate her matter-of-fact honesty. I used to wonder why they werent offended when she told them, pointblank, that they couldnt really afford a certain house or advised that they should stay in their smaller current house for a few more years. But many of them told her they appreciated having an agent whose word they could trust and who didnt seem to be "in it" just to make money.

I'll bet Rita is the same way.
Spot on description of Rita!! She's a little hard to take at first but once you know her you love her.

My grandfather was German. He came to live with us when I was around 10. I just always thought he was cold and mean until after he was gone and I was older and looked back. It's a shame I wasn't more mature, I probably missed a lot.

I remember working at the Credit union when I was in my 20's and a little old german lady came up to my window and started chewing me out. Said I had spelled my name wrong and I should be proud of my german heritage. It was all quite embarrassing at the time.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:00 PM

I sent Ketabcha a brief message, asking if she were ok. She replied that she's fine and the tornado didnt affect her immediate area. Sometimes life just gets in the way of posting on forums.

I certainly understand that -- but I hope she understands how much she's missed and cherished. It's weird how you can care so much about someone whom you've met only on the internet. But some people's auras are so amazing that they navigate through cyberspace and we just fall in love with them.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 AM

I hope no one minds that I'm going to post a couple of photos. The first one was the passport photo for when my mother took my sister (the one who died in May) and me to Germany to meet her family. I'm the kid on the right, making a sad face because we'd gotten our many vaccinations earlier that day. My sister was a spitfire and you can probably see it in her face. Both she and I were 3 years old here -- since we were only 10 months apart, there were two months each year when we were the same age.

The second photo was taken of my mother when she was almost 80 years old. Germans, at least all those in her family, seemed to age well.

The following post will show a more current photo of my mother and all three of us sisters.
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-passport-photo.jpg   Freebie chat part 3-mom-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff