Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 02:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,378 times

Advertisements

Oddly enough, that there are too many people like Red around here is one reason Dayton sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:25 AM

6 posts, read 15,418 times
I think you have to separate DAYTON proper, with the great southern suburbs: Oakwood, Centerville, (parts of) Kettering, Bellbrook & Springboro

Nobody goes to Dayton, unless they work there, everything that is growing, and the good schools, shopping, etc, is in the southern suburbs.....

Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,378 times
I disagree. Things are doing quite well in Beavercreek.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
I disagree also. North of Dayton is doing just fine, too, with cheaper housing and less traffic than south of town.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:02 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
Basically, the word is that the suburbs, are better off than Dayton proper? Hmm, there are parts of Dayton that have some life, such as the Oregon District or around UD. Still, for family life, the suburbs provide better schools, etc.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 10,794 times
Default Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
At least our housing market didn't crash, and didn't Las Vegas beat Dayton in most abandoned city by Forbes magazine?

In all seriousness, Dayton can get old after, say 10 years. Mainly because it does get to be the same after a while. But I would think this would be true of most metros, with exceptions like New York City. Also, I could see Dayton being lackluster if you are absent a car.

P.S. I think we have more then 30 days of sunshine. It's sunny right now!
I was only speaking for myself, and giving MY opinion. But let me just say that our housing market crash if you want to call it that, was only due to our quick growing population, and fast construction to keep up with people moving here for construction jobs. I don't think alot of people from all over have ever chosen to move to Dayton for all the massive employment opportunities ever!
On another note...Until I moved here I had never seen quick, beautiful, quality construction either. It takes people in Ohio 2 years to build a mall! 30 years to never complete highway construction, and decades to build housing developments. Here you can drive by a vacant corner one day and two weeks later and apartment complex is in the same spot with people living in it, and swimming in the pools. A highway or intersection is 24 hour construction for a week and it's done. Aren't they still working on I-75? They were when I moved in 1999 and when I was learning to drive in 1978, how come they're not done yet!

Happy cows are from California and happy people are from Las Vegas!

Peace Out

Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilloon62 View Post
I don't think alot of people from all over have ever chosen to move to Dayton for all the massive employment opportunities ever!
You are incorrect. You sound like you're about 15 years old.

Dayton was a BOOM town in the early part of the twentieth century. People DID move en masse to Dayton during World War II. The housing situation for workers in Dayton during the war resembled Silicon Valley today.

You also don't have a clue about the growth of the auto industry during the 50s and 60s. Dayton was a prime point in the migration of Appalachians north for factory jobs.

But, growth in Dayton hasn't been the case since the 1950s.

Ignorance like yours is a problem because you don't know what you're talking about. Growth anywhere isn't inevitable. Dayton has seen both sides of the boom-bust picture. Just let the water situation become more of an issue, and fossil fuels become super expensive, and you will see Las Vegas shrivel to nothing (as it was originally nothing.)

Old 03-31-2009, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 20,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I went to college near Dayton and that place sucked. The only thing I liked about it was the Submarine House on Salem Ave. I wish I could get some food Fed X to me!!!
if your white,, thats the best way to get it,,

Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 10,794 times
What I said was(in caps)..."I don't think alot of people FROM ALL OVER have ever chosen to move to Dayton for all the massive employment opportunities ever!"
I personally don't think appalachians constitutes people from all over! Nor do I feel that the auto industry jobs that WERE created back then, could be considered, "massive employment opportunities".

Anyway...I moved because of the horrible weather there, and because of the attitudes of people like you that refuse to let go of the past.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,705 times
Default Correcting an idiot's mistakes and ignorance of history

Sgillloon62, you are quite wrong.

Appalachia and the south. I forgot the entire south. And I forgot northern and eastern Europe, but that was an earlier in-migration. Dayton once had a large immigrant population of Hungarians, Poles, etc. concentrated in North Dayton. Some immigrants got off at Ellis Island and followed their families and fellow villagers to this "Dayton" place.

That certainly sounds like "all over" to me.

As far as employment, let's add in a small, insignificant company like NCR (which itself gave birth to an equally small insignificant company called IBM, ever hear of it?), and the massive machine tool business based in Dayton in the early part of the 20th century.

So do some reading, dumb-@-$-$. You're completely ignorant of history.

You confirm my impression that your mental age is 15 or less. You are illiterate and vulgar, and you are one of the stupid masses who can only look back about 3 years. You can insult me all you want, but I know the history of this place and you're uneducated and ignorant.

Actually, people exactly like YOU are the problem of Dayton. You have no understanding of history, so in like manner, Dayton's history as the "original Silicon Valley" of inventions has been entirely forgotten by low-IQ rednecks like you who probably drooled on the pages in history class in public school.

So, go back to your shake and bake glitzy piece of faeces in the middle of the desert, where there's no troubling history or depth to learn about.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 04-03-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton