Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,018,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Our AC was out yesterday and since we decided 92 was a little uncomfortable to sleep in all night we ended up at the Doubletree down the street. Not a bad night--and the thermostat's default was SIXTY SIX!

But according to USA Today, we may be looking at only 98 or so on Friday and Saturday.

I thought most houses had 2 AC units. Are you in a one story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,599,825 times
Our house, while nearly 2600 sq ft, only has one AC unit (granted, it's a 5-ton unit) because it is a single story. Much bigger than that, they need two units - and a 2-story home should have 2 zones (either two units, or a properly zoned single unit, depending on the size of the house).

Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,634,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
The point is - there are millions of people that do it and aren't terribly bothered by it.

Maybe they are acclimated to the heat. Maybe the children here see their parents tolerate the heat and thus they tolerate it too. We are a product of our environment. Maybe they are in good health, without a thick layer of fat which increases the body's core temperature. I'm not sure why most people here aren't affected by the heat, but it's a fact a large percentage certainly don't seem overly bothered by it.

I suspect if someone is accustomed to much cooler summer weather in the northern U.S. they would view our Texas summer temperatures as being unbearable. Yet, if someone came to Texas from even hotter (and often higher humidity) areas - they would consider Texas summers to be mild in comparison. Much like the minus 0 degree cold temperatures of many northern states is par for the course, but we would find it unbearably cold. (By the way - I hate cold, grey skies, snow, sleet and freezing rain...give me the high temperatures, sunshine and blue skies any day.)
I'm with you Koot. This is our first summer here. We moved here from Maryland and lived in Louisiana before that. Louisiana was the worst by far... upper 90's and humidity was 80's and 90's. It was un-freaking real. Its one thing to be hot, but another to be hot and sweaty/damp etc. Before moving here several people told us the summer heat was ROASTING HOT, Unbearable, etc. Make no mistake, it is hot.. but its not the end of the world.

I think being out of shape can make it worse for people. My wifes family came with us to Dallas this past weekend during the taste of Dallas festival and they are all out of shape and were DYING. My wife and I were fine though.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,283,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
My kids play outdoor sports. For years we were their coaches. I've been out in it for an entire day several times a week. This past weekend in a golf tournament. It was hot but survived. My oldest is in a soccer camp this week as well as volunteering for an outdoor Bible study in a low income apartment complex where they are outside all day. We have employees that have to be out in it all day be it making deliveries or working the docks. We still have 1 truck that has no a/c. My dad was in construction as well and was outside all day in the heat as was my grandfather. We just get used to it and go on and be smart about it by staying hydrated.
Yes, I've been there and done that too. The summer of 1980, the worst ever, was one where I coached my daughter's softball team. Oh my, a newbie to Texas, but I survived as well.

I don't run the A/C in my vehicle. I really don't think it's necessary to waste more energy than we already have to do.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Our AC was out yesterday and since we decided 92 was a little uncomfortable to sleep in all night we ended up at the Doubletree down the street. Not a bad night--and the thermostat's default was SIXTY SIX!

But according to USA Today, we may be looking at only 98 or so on Friday and Saturday.
So many times I've been called a wimp because I don't like the heat in Texas. I can assure you should my home A/C go out, I will not rent a motel room or sleep in someone's home where the A/C is running. The only way I would do that is if I had small children as I would be concerned for their well-being.

We didn't have A/C in California and there were days when the temperature soared above 110 degrees. Of course, the dew point there is much more comfortable and it cooled off somewhat at night. We also knew that cooler weather was right around the corner with the temperature capable of dropping into the 60s a few days after the scorching warmth.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I normally work in my office but about 3-4 times a week I am on a roof. I am an estimator for a commercial roofing company. You should see how hot it gets up on those roofs. I try to make my appointments early in the day though.

And on the weekends and sometimes in the evenings I do side jobs. Last week I had to just stop what I was doing because it got so hot. I told the guy Id be back to finish the next day because I just couldnt take it anymore.
It's miserable and not even worth it. I absolutely dread having to mow my lawn. It really is way too hot for anything, and I get ill when I work in the heat. I'm extremely stubborn and will not stop until the job is finished. Of course, I'm only out in it for a few hours and not like you have to be for so long. I'm not a spring chicken anymore, but I'm in excellent health and have an abundance of energy compared to others my age that I know.

Oh well, I'm dreaming of a cold north wind and only have about 3.5 months to go before it hits. I absolutely love fall and winter in Texas. It beats California weather all to pieces at that time of the year.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,018,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I absolutely love fall and winter in Texas. It beats California weather all to pieces at that time of the year.

The fall weather is just like it is now, but 80-90.. if there is a cold spell it drops to 70. booooring

Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 PM

6,827 posts, read 14,047,739 times
My A/C went out yesterday but lucky a guy was working on a friend of mines A/C so I gave him a call and he can right over. 45 minutes later and was back in business. It was the best $80 I have spent in a long time. I can work outside in the heat and feel just fine unless I come inside and sit down.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:14 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,024,021 times
Help muh, Jeebus....

Old 07-14-2009, 03:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,181,360 times
One of my classmates (she grew up on the street where my mom lives) was on Facebook saying her air went out and she went to a hotel...everyone was giving her Sh&t and talking about how we didn't have AC at our elementary schools (most schools got AC in the '70s here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas