Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 12:36 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times

Advertisements

It is hot, just glad we don't have the humid sticky stuff right now.....boy that's a bear to deal with. I have noticed lately I have less flys and less skeeters for some reason.....I am puzzled. I also see more bees this year. Last year my garden nearly died because I didn't have those little bugers to pollinate.

Heard on the news.....(not so reilable source) weather man said we might have an El Nino winter....boy do we need that like now. However I did get that FREAK rain fall last week too. At one point I was standing on my patio looking up to blue skies and still had a steady rain fallen It was one of those crazy Texas things we have around here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
It is hot, just glad we don't have the humid sticky stuff right now.....boy that's a bear to deal with. I have noticed lately I have less flys and less skeeters for some reason.....I am puzzled. I also see more bees this year. Last year my garden nearly died because I didn't have those little bugers to pollinate.

Heard on the news.....(not so reilable source) weather man said we might have an El Nino winter....boy do we need that like now. However I did get that FREAK rain fall last week too. At one point I was standing on my patio looking up to blue skies and still had a steady rain fallen It was one of those crazy Texas things we have around here.
Could be. Seems like hot summers always bring cold winters

Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times
Quote:

Sunshine and rain is normal in tropical climates. I guess not so normal around here.

I must have missed the rain last week since I was in Florida for 3 days.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:57 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Sunshine and rain is normal in tropical climates. I guess not so normal around here.

I must have missed the rain last week since I was in Florida for 3 days.
If you spent more than a few seconds outside in Florida last week I suspect you were not only hot, but also sticky-wet with sweat that can't evaporate in the high humidity.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
If you spent more than a few seconds outside in Florida last week I suspect you were not only hot, but also sticky-wet with sweat that can't evaporate in the high humidity.
It ws in the 80's and raining most of the time I was there. So yeah I was pretty wet when I went outside. At night though I had the convertible top down on my rental car and it was nice.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:25 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,933 times
Ahhh shoot! Growing up as a kid in Dallas, it got so hot we had to turn the kitchen oven on to cool off the house! We didn't have AC until I moved away from home.

El Nino? I had to look that up. I think it means we're going to have a more rainy than normal winter. Right? I do hope so.

Think of it like this; It's summers like this that sends the New Yorkers packing .

Who remembers June 1980 when it hit 113? I was working up in Flower Mound and on my drive home to Garland I heard on the radio that a tree trimming crew managed to short out some power lines and before it was caught under control, all the power in Garland was out. When I arrived home my pregnant wife and the other two kiddoes were out front under the tree waiting for me. We only had one car. We loaded up and drove over to Town East Mall where it was cool.....along with about 100,000 other people. Town East looked like a week before Christmas from all the people.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Who can forget the summer of 1980. I remember those two 113 degree days and I think the next day was almost as hot. 103 is nothing!

The things I remember about most of my childhood summers are sitting under shade trees with our bare feet cooled by St. Augustine grass and disappearing into the creeks and the private lake by my house on Yosemite for hours and hours. There are a lot of good creeks around here plus White Rock Lake.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
However I did get that FREAK rain fall last week too. At one point I was standing on my patio looking up to blue skies and still had a steady rain fallen It was one of those crazy Texas things we have around here.

We did as well. We were IN THE POOL and stopped going, hmm, was that THUNDER?!?!?! Yep, it was. Outta the water.....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
It ws in the 80's and raining most of the time I was there. So yeah I was pretty wet when I went outside. At night though I had the convertible top down on my rental car and it was nice.
Florida has been in a freaky weather pattern lately. They have been mostly cloud covered and rain. Why the space shuttle has not been able to launch since it was supposed to over a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post
Ahhh shoot! Growing up as a kid in Dallas, it got so hot we had to turn the kitchen oven on to cool off the house! We didn't have AC until I moved away from home.

Who remembers June 1980 when it hit 113? I was working up in Flower Mound and on my drive home to Garland I heard on the radio that a tree trimming crew managed to short out some power lines and before it was caught under control, all the power in Garland was out. When I arrived home my pregnant wife and the other two kiddoes were out front under the tree waiting for me. We only had one car. We loaded up and drove over to Town East Mall where it was cool.....along with about 100,000 other people. Town East looked like a week before Christmas from all the people.
LOL!!! And I was OUTSIDE for most of it. It was just a summer out of school for us. I even took summer school that year and it was hot and they FINALLY agreed to let us wear shorts. During break we would still walk the 2 blocks to the 7-11 for a Slurpee and walk back. It was like no big deal to us as we are much younger.

I kind of remember that power outage. My dad was in construction and I did a lot of stuff for him so I was always outside. 1980 and Flower Mound....... there was NOTHING out there but some larger lots w/ horses, lol.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
Quote:
High humidity makes people feel hotter in the summer because it reduces the effectiveness of sweating to cool the body by preventing the evaporation of perspiration from the skin.

Would you rather be hot and dry - or hot, sticky and soaking wet from head to toes with sweat? I'll take hot and dry any day...
That's what I'm saying, humidity isn't a factor to me up to a point. Once the weather hits the 100 mark it doesn't matter to me anymore, it's boiling hot and all I know is it's hot. Also, did I mention it's hot?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
OK well this may seem weird to you but this doesn't bother me that much. Now the humidity of Miami or even D.C. and NYC sometimes gets to me. And I have turned into a wimp a few times in Palm Springs.

Natives - we like to complain but we're actually quite in tune with the temperature. It makes you feel alive and brings back memories of summers past. Go crank some ice cream under the shade tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas