Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 PM

40 posts, read 123,986 times

Advertisements

I posted a question last week and asked about good areas to live around the Dallas metro area. Over and over again people complained about the commute. So what I would like to know is, what cities or towns should I stay away from because of the killer commute. The following cities we plan to visit to see if we like them are... *Richardson, Frisco, Lewisville, Coppell, Carrollton, Denton, McKinney, and Allen. I would prefer Collin and Denton counties over Dallas county. I have been told the taxes are higher in Dallas Co. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
there is no way to give any type of accurate answer because there is no destination--are you just traveling within the towns that you have mentioned or are you going from them to somewhere else...

Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,236,061 times
If you're working in Carrollton then Frisco, Lewisville, Coppell, Carrollton might be suitable. The others will offer cross town commutes which may require a change of road/hiway in route. The commute from Denton chokes crossing Lake Dallas (or whatever that watering hole on I-35 is).

If you're working in the med center then you might look in Oak Lawn, Uptown, Greenville areas. If you don't have any of those kids yet you can always sell and move again, after you've gotten an idea of the layout of the area.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,476,826 times
Well, you are a nurse and can work anywhere, like you said, so I guess it's your husband who is a chef that might have a harder time finding a job which might lead to a long commute from one point to another.

I would rent until husband finds a job. True there are plenty of restaurants in downtown, uptown, etc, but there are also restaurants in other places in DFW, too. What is the job market like for chefs generally? What type of establishment does he work at?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,599,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTammy74 View Post
I posted a question last week and asked about good areas to live around the Dallas metro area. Over and over again people complained about the commute. So what I would like to know is, what cities or towns should I stay away from because of the killer commute. The following cities we plan to visit to see if we like them are... *Richardson, Frisco, Lewisville, Coppell, Carrollton, Denton, McKinney, and Allen. I would prefer Collin and Denton counties over Dallas county. I have been told the taxes are higher in Dallas Co. Thanks.
Rent for the at least the first 6 months. Learn the area before buying.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,215,697 times
Can't go wrong with UpTown. You have everything you need within 2 miles no joke. My 2 cents

Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 PM

937 posts, read 2,908,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTammy74 View Post
I think you are being mislead on the property taxes being cheaper in Collin county. For one the actual county tax is a small portion of the property tax bill. The bulk of the tax bill comes from the school taxes. So the county you are in doesn't make a big difference unless you are in an expensive home.

I have a home in Dallas county and my friend has a home in Collin county and his taxes are slightly higher and the appraisal values are basically the same.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM

264 posts, read 1,185,023 times
If you are commuting to downtown Dallas, Richardson would probably be the least stressful commute, Carrollton and Coppell would be your next best options. McKinney, Allen, Frisco, Denton, and Lewisville would be brutal.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:43 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,536,258 times
Taxes are high no matter where you buy, advise from me rent for 6 month and then purchase.

Anything West of 35E or up 35E is brutal, you like BIG city living choose Allen, Carrollton, Richardson, Dallas (Uptown).

You like country living with a small communte try Mckinney, Lucus, Wylie, Sachse, Rowlett and Rockwall (north and east)

You like southern area of Dallas
Grand Praire
Arlington
Lancaster

Looking for good schools do your research, looking for tight net location stick to down town dallas.

Looking for affordablity anything outside of Dallas.

I live in Dallas county, and my taxes are about the same as someones in Rockwall county.

your taxes are based on your value of your home and the school district you live in.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:01 PM

583 posts, read 2,635,118 times
Commute from Mckinney to Downtown--let's just say American Airlines Center--during rush hour 60-75 minutes. Add rain/snow/sleet/wreck pack on another 10-20 minutes. Commute during non-rush hour around 45 minutes. Taxes in Mckinney currently at around 2.5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas