Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 PM

47 posts, read 163,459 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-

We will be in Dallas next week for yet another visit! Just needing some feedback on quality pre-schools right in the metro area. There is a strong chance we will be living in Lakewood or Park Cities area or very close to the city.

Anyone have experience with a co-op pre-school in the area? Also a pre-school with naeyc credentials? (National Association for the Education of Young Children). We are looking at schools for our two children while in town- a bit crunched for time. The recommendations would help!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
There is Northhaven Co-Op on Preston Rd. in Preston Hollow.
Northaven Co-operative PreSchool

There is also a very good preschool called The Di Vinci School.

Lamplighter is very good. Bring your big checkbook for that one, but it's a great school (goes through 4th grade)

I looked at the list of schools of NAEYC schools. Northhaven was on it. Park Cities YMCA preschool was on it. I don't know most of the others. My son was at a preschool that had that accrediation and the school dropped it voluntarily because the school could be better without it. (Some of the rules are too restrictive.)

I don't know if you will have trouble coming in mid-year or not. Some of the better ones might be full until next Fall.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:35 PM

47 posts, read 163,459 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks FarNorthDallas.

Never would have know about these really neat little pre-schools. They look amazing! Can you also share your son's pre-school with us? (Parents have the best feedback!). I'm also aware that many pre-schools are already following many of the naeyc principals without the actual official accreditation.

By the way...I really appreciate your knowledge on the elem. school front too!!!! Also I know this is off the thread topic but would you be so kind to share the better private schools (elem.)? I'm not sur this is the route we will go but just in case. I recall you mentioning your kido attends a private school?

Thanks again!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I can't recommend the preschool my son went to anymore. They had a director change and all I can say is, YIKES. It was a church based one in Preston Hollow. My son is 13 now, so it was awhile ago he was there anyway.

Private elementary school. Well, that's weird, I can't think of any private elementary (K-5th or 6th) school. Lamplighter would be the closest as it goes to 4th grade. The better private schools go all the way through 12th grade. Many start at age 3. You could do your preschool in the private school they are going to attend.

The better ones in town are:
1) Episcopal School of Dallas (age 3-12th grade)
2) St. Marks (boys, starts at 1st grade)
3) Hockaday (girls, PK-12th)
4) Greenhill (PK-12th)
5) Parish Episcopal School (PK-12th)

Cistercian (boys) and Cambridge (co-ed) are good and start at 5th grade. I heard Providence (co-ed PK-8th) was a good school.

There are other good schools in North Dallas. The good Catholic schools (Pk-8th) are Christ the King, St. Rita's and St. Monica's. All of the Catholic high schools are good. Jesuit (boys) and Ursuline (girls) are great. Bishop Lynch, Pope John Paul are good too (both coed).

The best Montessori school is St. Alquin. Wow, great school. Goes from age 3-8th grade. Back when my son was little, I tried to get him into this school and they weren't even taking names for a waiting list. Same with Di Vinci School. Amazing school. Back then they only took 6 new kids a year. Mine was not one of them, but I tried.

I have heard great things about Northhaven Co-op. There is also a co-op school in Richardson called Creative School Co-op. Those are the only two co-op schools I know of.

Dallas is also lucky enough to have plenty of schools for kids with learning differences like dyslexia. My son attends one of those. It's an amazing place. They take kids as young as 3 and at that preschool age I don't think you have to have any learning issues.

There are private schools in the Lakewood area, but I am not that familiar with them. There is a Catholic one St. Thomas Aquinas. I think Lakehill Prepatory is over there. There is a dyslexia school by White Rock Lake called Dallas Academy.

There is also a school downtown called First Baptist Academy. It has a very urban feel to it. Oh, and there are private Jewish schools around, too. The churches in the Park Cities have preschool programs also. You have a lot of choices.

Here is a website about many of the private schools in Dallas.
Welcome to The Web Guide To Dallas and Fort Worth Private Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: