Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 18,416 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of enrolling our child in pre-school, at least a few days a week. I'm not concerned where in the metroplex the school is located, I am concerned with it being one of the top pre-schools in the area. And by top I mean a pre-school where the students tend to feed into the top Dallas private schools. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 12:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Pre-schools popular with the Dallas elite private school crowd are:
-Lamplighter - PreK starts with a 3 year old program. Lamplighter goes to 4th grade, is co-Ed, and is a major feeder to St Mark's

-Temple Emanu-El has a wonderful preschool program starting at age 2 or 3. However there is Jewish religious instruction if that's an issue/conflict.

-Highland Park Presbyterian and Preston Hollow Presbyterian have day schools starting at age 2 that have been around for decades. I went to HPPDS & my kids will likely go there, too. Preference is given to members' children, FYI.

-Providence School (goes to 8th grade, feeds nicely into Cistercian and other schools) starts with PreK...4 year olds, I believe.

I'm sure the Catholic schools have preschools attached, and Montessori is always an option, too.

I started this thread by saying those schools are "popular" because that's exactly what they are. They are absolutely NOT a "lock" for getting into St Mark's, Hockaday, etc although many of their graduates do go there. Really, what those schools look for when they "interview" your 4-year-old for kindergarten admissions is a child who is a curious learner and who is extremely well-behaved. They are also looking for families who will support the school generously with their time and financial resources.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
Some of the top private schools have their own preschools and that should be the first place you look for preschool if your target private school has it. The only way into Kindergarten may be the school's own preschool.

Course, with the economy I am wondering if it's easier to get a spot in the good schools these days. Well, probably not Cistercian, but the others. I have heard of people new to Dallas who got right into St. Marks.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 PM

37 posts, read 142,990 times
I don't think it is easier, seems that the economic situation of school districts drives folks to look at private schools. We tested for St.Mark's for this school year, they had record applications, 160 for 1st grade and only 32 boys were accepted. Could have been that 80 qualified, but only 30 got accepted. Unless you start at a preschool that feeds into an elementary that prepares your child for the St. Marks' Hockday, etc entrance exam in 5th or 8th grade, it might come done to the pick of the draw in elementary.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 AM

100 posts, read 440,463 times
You might want to check out da Vinci, Lamplighter and Meadowbrook.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 17,881 times
The Meadowbrook School, which offers PreK 3 & 4 and Kindergarten classes is an outstanding option. It is a hidden gem that is know by word of mouth. I would say 90% of its students go onto schools like St Marks, Hockaday, Greenhill, ESD, Parish, Good Shepard. The remaining usually are heading to Highland Park Public Schools. Check it out on the web.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 AM

100 posts, read 440,463 times
Agree on Meadowbrook. Link to website: Meadowbrook School

Old 09-10-2014, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 17,896 times
Hi, we are relocating to Plano, TX in the near future and have a 4 year old boy and a 2 year old boy. Our 4 year old boy has been in preschool since 2 years old and we would like to continue his "education" at a 4 year old preschool in or around Plano, TX. This thread provides some great preschools. However, I have a few questions...(1) is the "St. Marks" mentioned in this thread "Saint Mark the Evangelist" catholic school in Plano, TX? If so, do you recommend the Saint Mark the Evangelist preschool in Plano, TX? If not, what "St. Marks" is everyone referring to (that appears to be highly recommended)?, (2) while we value everyone's opinions on this thread, is there any third-party rating/ranking of Dallas-area preschools?, (3) as we're not intimately familiar with the DFW area, what preschools (from those mentioned - or not mentioned yet - in this thread) would you recommend for someone living in Plano, TX? Many thanks to everyone.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:44 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,202 times
If you live in plano, you may plan on driving to the metroplex for the highly ranked preschools. Numerous people make that drive. The st. marks referred to in the posts is the one in the middle of dallas (preston and royal). One of the best schools in Texas, if not the nation.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almirojb View Post
Hi, we are relocating to Plano, TX in the near future and have a 4 year old boy and a 2 year old boy. Our 4 year old boy has been in preschool since 2 years old and we would like to continue his "education" at a 4 year old preschool in or around Plano, TX. This thread provides some great preschools. However, I have a few questions...(1) is the "St. Marks" mentioned in this thread "Saint Mark the Evangelist" catholic school in Plano, TX? If so, do you recommend the Saint Mark the Evangelist preschool in Plano, TX? If not, what "St. Marks" is everyone referring to (that appears to be highly recommended)?, (2) while we value everyone's opinions on this thread, is there any third-party rating/ranking of Dallas-area preschools?, (3) as we're not intimately familiar with the DFW area, what preschools (from those mentioned - or not mentioned yet - in this thread) would you recommend for someone living in Plano, TX? Many thanks to everyone.
The St Mark's mentioned above is St Mark's School of Texas, an elite college prep school for boys in grades 1-12. It does not have a preschool or even a kindergarten.

I am not familiar with the St Mark in Plano that you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: