Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 PM

40 posts, read 123,922 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and I are considering relocating to a town near Dallas. I am a nurse and will have no problems finding a job anywhere I go, but he is going to school to become a Chef. We would like a town that is on the move, but not growing at 139%. That much growth is kinda scary. I lived in Cape Coral, FL a few yrs back when they experienced a boom as well and it was hell. Horrible traffic, no jobs and pretty much too much too soon.

So anyway getting back to my question, we would like to know which areas are worth looking into? We plan on a family, so good schools are a must. Our price range for a home is $250k or less, and the town needs to be within a 30 mile range from downtown Dallas. Some areas that we are looking into are, Allen, McKinney, Coppell, Frisco, Grapevine and Flower Mound. Out of these towns, which one have low crime and nice subdivisions? Is Frisco still nice even though it's booming?

Thank you for helping, we are planning a trip and want to know which places to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTammy74 View Post
Hi my husband and I are considering relocating to a town near Dallas. I am a nurse and will have no problems finding a job anywhere I go, but he is going to school to become a Chef. We would like a town that is on the move, but not growing at 139%. That much growth is kinda scary. I lived in Cape Coral, FL a few yrs back when they experienced a boom as well and it was hell. Horrible traffic, no jobs and pretty much too much too soon.

So anyway getting back to my question, we would like to know which areas are worth looking into? We plan on a family, so good schools are a must. Our price range for a home is $250k or less, and the town needs to be within a 30 mile range from downtown Dallas. Some areas that we are looking into are, Allen, McKinney, Coppell, Frisco, Grapevine and Flower Mound. Out of these towns, which one have low crime and nice subdivisions? Is Frisco still nice even though it's booming?

Thank you for helping, we are planning a trip and want to know which places to visit.
All of the municipalities you mentioned have nice subdivisions and low violent crime. I don't know about the perjury, embezzlement and jaywalking rates, though.

I live close to Frisco, and it is very much in a growth mode. It looks pretty nice to me, as I define "nice".

I think you need to ask more focused and definite questions. Perhaps actually visiting will resolve the questions you may have in mind but don't know how to really define. Also, visiting will probably raise a lot of other questions.

Good luck on your move.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
all those towns are nice--Grapevine probably has more issues of crime just because of its composition but even then it is very safe, nice town
your husband's commute should be the issue if you think you can find a job w/good commute at local hospital/clinic...
Dallas as some bad freeway traffic...30 miles can translate into an hour or more of time each way...
is that really something you would want to do

Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
You don't want to be commuting between McKinney and downtown Dallas. Too far!

All of the others are just 6 of 1, half dozen of the other - just newer suburbs with similar demographics. They all look the same and you can't tell one from the other and you can't even tell when you drive from one to the other.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
McKinney is just as far from Dallas as Frisco, just the next town up from Allen, so wouldn't write that off as being too far. None of these cities (with possible exception of Coppell) are cakewalk commutes to Dallas.

I personally like McKinney best of all that you mention because it was a sizable county seat before the suburban wave hit Collin County. It has a great historic section and charming courthouse square. Stonebridge Ranch is one of the nicest planned developments in all of the North side of Dallas with lots of green space, lakes and trees that separate it from the cookie cutterness of a lot of the Dallas burbs.

I have enjoyed living in McKinney, the kids are doing well in the schools here, still a nice small town feeling to it despite the growth.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
all those towns are nice--Grapevine probably has more issues of crime just because of its composition but even then it is very safe, nice town
There is VERY little crime here in Grapevine. DH and I have lived here for almost 7 years and we've never been a victim of anything, unlike when we lived in Dallas.

McKinney is WAY too far to commute to downtown Dallas.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I just meant comparitively--Grapevine DOES have issues with petty crime--burglaries/car vandalism--more so than Coppell or Flower Mound which to my knowledge don't have any section 8 apts in them...
the area around Mustang drive is probably the least desireable area of Grapevine--
know two families that owned houses in that area and moved because of those apts and what they considered "deteriorating" atmosphere...but most of Grapevine is great--we visit there/eat there/shop there but compare this graph of crime statistics for Grapevine
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
and this one for Coppell--
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
there is a difference--a big difference in some categories...
I lived in Bedford for almost 25 yrs and I know there was an increase in petty crime over that time even though I never experienced anything but some vandalism at Halloween...

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Since we don't know where you'll be working, does your husband know where he'll be taking classes? Art Institute? El Centro? Cordon Bleu?
We don't want y'all driving far from your home and where your kids will be in school.

Lake Highlands area of Dallas is good. And Richardson.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 PM

I'll be working in Carrollton because I plan on transferring with the hospital that I work for now, they are all over the US. And he is going to school here and will be finished with college by the time we move, so I would imagine that he would work at a nice restuarant somewhere in Dallas. Usually most cities have a downtown with lots of eateries and I can't imagine that Dallas would be any different. But thank you for all of your great info.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Ok I guess I should have asked this too, what about Carrollton? What do you all think of that town? Someone above asked me what I consider nice. My definition of nice is, relatively low crime, clean neighborhoods with out rundown houses or trashy homeowners. It doesn't have to be perfect but I always believe that it doesn't cost anything to go outside and keep your lawn neat and junk free. Even here I've seen some cute little houses that would be some much nicer if the lazy homeowner would put the remote control down and pick up all the broken and faded toys in the front yard. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas