Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 AM

264 posts, read 1,184,094 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide where to road trip with the family (DH and I along with three kids - 6, 4, and 10 months) for Spring Break and am totally stumped. We would like to go somewhere within a 12-hour drive (we can break it up into two travel days). I would love to go to the beach (maybe Destin?), but am not sure where to go that won't be overrun with drunk college kids. We were thinking of going skiing, but with the kids, that would get mighty pricey.
Any suggestions for some family fun on Spring Break?? Preferably someplace not too terribly expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Some of the places we have gone on a road trip for Spring Break that were not skiing are:

Galveston - stay in a condo on the beach like the Seascape. This way you have a kitchen (save a ton of money on eating out) and plenty of room for everyone so that your not having to "lights out" when the kids go to bed. Mom & Dad can have some time . We got away w/ the 1 bedroom there since they have bunkbeds builtin to them in the hallway. Lots to do like the indoor Schlitterbahn Water Park, Moody Gardens, tour the Bishops Palace & Moody Mansion (even the kids got into these) and others historic houses, play on the beach. One great thing about Seascape is it is ON THE BEACH side of the road. You can go back and forth between the pool and beach and not have to cross the road.

The Frio River - we stayed at a couple of different cabins here thru a place called River Oaks (I'd have to double check) and it is located outside Concan, Tx. You can look up all kinds of things to do down there at Texas Hill Country River Region (Texas Hill Country River Region). Garner State Park is nearby with paddle boats, rock climbing walls, hiking trails, swimming in the river, etc as is Lost Maples State Park. At the cabins they have outdoor firepits which are great for roasting marshmallows and most are right on the water. We take our bikes and you can bike around all over the place. You are literally OUT IN THE COUNTRY and can see the stars as clear as be. Most of the cabins have hot tubs and they also had a mini golf. Play in the water, hike, bike, play games, etc. A lot of family fun.

San Antonio - of course this is a no brainer. Fiesta Texas, SeaWorld, The Alamo, RiverWalk, etc. We stayed at a hotel that was right by the river and Alamo that had a kitchen and a seperate bedroom and living room. VERY NICE and VERY reasonable.

Hot Springs, Ark - too cold to get out on the water but you can stay on Lake Hamilton or up at a place called Mountian Harbor Resort on Lake Ouchita. There is an amusment park there that is a water park on one side and amusement park on the other. Water park will be closed right now but I don't know about the amusement park side.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Good suggestions by mom. However, today I am thinking of New Orleans! My late Daddy took us there when we were under 10 years old a couple of times. We did walk down Bourbon Street but I didn't see anything which scarred me for life.

It did teach me to appreciate architecture and history. When I go these days, I still remember how we were on Canal Street and I got my first gander of The Quarter around the corner.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 PM

^^^ LOL!!! I was married my first time to NOLA and walking down Bourban St in the daylight and seeing some of what was going on........ I looked like a country girl that had never left the farm all jaw dropped.

Okay, we stayed at River Oaks Resort (River Oaks Resort - frio river concan,vacation homes) and one time we stayed in one of the River Oaks Cabins and the other time we stayed in Riverside. The cabins are a group of about 12 cabins dispersed on one LARGE plot of land and you have plenty of space around your cabin but they share some horseshoes and a volleyball area. The Riverside was more of a house that was in a subdivision on about 2 acres. Both were 2 bedrooms/2bathrooms.

Here is the link for Seascape:
SEASCAPE CONDOS - A B Sea Sales and Rentals - Galveston, TX
I can tell you that about 4-5 years ago they put up all new siding on the place. When Ike came thru it got away with VERY LITTLE damage to the main structure and only the pool area was damaged. We got sent pics of the place after the hurricane by some friends that own a unit there. It says they are under a reconstruction phase but they have rates listed for March so I'd call them to double check if they are taking any reservations for that time. For a condo their prices can't be beat. We paid LESS for a 1 bedroom condo ON THE BEACH w/ a kitchen here than some people pay for a motel room OFF the beach.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
How about St. Louis? You've got the Arch, Union Station, the St. Louis Science Center, Bigfoot (the monster truck, not the mythical creature), etc. etc. etc.

When I was growing up, my dad had to go to St. Louis for business a lot. When he could, he brought the whole family along. I always thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,094 times
Mom - Do you remember the name of the hotel you stayed at in San Antonio?

I love all your suggestions, thanks!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
ruidoso nm is not too far and has skiing that is cheaper than colorado

Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
Mom - Do you remember the name of the hotel you stayed at in San Antonio?

I love all your suggestions, thanks!
I had to do a Google Earth to find it. I know on a map I can find it, lol. It is now a LaQuinta and it is located around Elm & Blum right across from an entrance to the mall and a block down from the Alamo. You can walk thru the mall to gain access to the RiverWalk and there is also an IMAX at the mall. Since trying to find parking for the RiverWalk can be a PITA you don't have to worry about it when you can walk from your hotel to it.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM

70 posts, read 278,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
How about St. Louis? You've got the Arch, Union Station, the St. Louis Science Center, Bigfoot (the monster truck, not the mythical creature), etc. etc. etc.

When I was growing up, my dad had to go to St. Louis for business a lot. When he could, he brought the whole family along. I always thoroughly enjoyed it.
Awecelot makes a GREAT suggestion. St. Louis is my home town, and there are tons of things to do there. And of course some of the GREATEST eating anywhere---check out The Hill (the Italian part of town. You can't go wrong anywhere there.)

Other sites to see: Forest Park--Lots to do there, including the St. Louis Zoo---which has been ranked among the top 10 in the country. The Jewel Box (for flowers and great family pictures.) and the art museum. Even if you just go to the front outside...there's a great statue of King Louis and a terrific overview into the city.

There's Shaw Gardens for other botanical sites, The Magic House---really fun for kids and is in Kirkwood (a suburb).

Some really great architecture near Forest Park, in the Central West End, near Tower Grove Park, and in Soulard. Oh, and one of the BEST places is Grant's Farm. The kids will love this. The property was that of Ulysses S. Grant, and was purchased by the Busch family. The grounds are huge and there's a "wildlife" sanctuary on the grounds that you can visit via a tram. And there's a petting zoo, and you used to be served some Anheuser-Busch products for free, but I don't know if they still do that. And of course there's the brewery for tours and tasting, etc.

Guess I should get a job at the tourism board.

The drive is about 12 hours and can be broken up into 2 days. Joplin, Mo is a good half way point.

Okay...good luck and I hope you choose St. Louis. Go Cardinals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas