Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM

38 posts, read 121,467 times

Advertisements

It's been about 25 years since I have been to Dallas. Would like to drive down from KC to see Big'D and I remember that Spring is so pretty there. BUT- what is basically a good time to do this? - last week in March or early April? Want to visit Botanical (sp)Gardens at White Rock Also need a few recommendations on Hotels (under $125.00 a night). Want to stay along Central Expressway - maybe somewhere between Lemmon Ave and Forrest Lane. I always lived in those areas and plan on just driving around those neighborhood areas and maybe one trip by Dart to downtown.

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,321,343 times
Oh wow- Dallas has changed A LOT.

April is usually a good bet, weather-wise. Check the Arboretum calendar for events/festivals during that time.

Don't miss the entirely new Dallas Arts District- over 300 acres and the biggest arts district in any US town. In the last two years, a new Opera House, Theatre, performing arts high school, and residential/commercial development has opened on the northeast corner of downtown. If you like the theatre, check the Wyly Theatre's schedule as the first night of any performance's run is "pay what you wish"....$1 or $2,000- you can see a fantastic first-rate play on a budget (or make a nice donation!) Have dinner at one of the nearby restaurants like Tei An or Samar and experience the new downtown!

Also, don't miss Knox-Henderson, which has been completely redeveloped in the past 5 years (Henderson side) and 15 years (Knox Side). Lots of shops, restaurants, etc.

As for hotel recommendations, check the Palomar (Mockingbird & 75....the old Hilltop Hotel) to see if you can get a good deal. It's across the street from a DART station. Further north is a Suites Hotel (not sure the name- maybe a Hyatt Summerfield?) at Caruth Haven & 75, just south of NorthPark. Or the Doubletree on the east side of 75 from there.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks for your input TurtleCreek. I wasn't sure if April would be too early, but I know spring usually comes sooner down there then in Kansas City. Our winters can on and on...

I did check out the hotels you suggested and I Googled "hotels on Central Expressway" and come up with a bunch. So far, the Courtyard Marriott is the winner - they got the most consistant good reviews and seem to have the best rates!

It will be something to see all the changes after so many years. By the way, you should work for the Dallas Chamber of Commerce! They would love you - your posts are always so kind and very knowledgeable

Old 01-25-2011, 02:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,183,772 times
Well if you want to go inexpensive there's the La Quinta on Central just south of Henderson. It's not very nice but the compensation is that you can walk everywhere around there..

Tell the Palomar you want the SMU rate and maybe you'll get a better deal. I used to be able to book it for $99.

Don't miss the Arboretum that time of year. Also if you come in March try to go to the Greenville Avenue St. Patrick's Parade - it's on Saturday, March 12.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Lakewooder, when you say the La Quinta is not very nice, what is wrong with it? It looks nice.... I know they all look that way on Google Earth.

I am getting a kick out of reading all these Trip Advisor postings on these hotels - folks can be picky! And you will see one comment that just raves about the hotel, and then almost in the same time frame you will see a terrible review. I think it all depends on the staff that is there when you are. And yes, don't put me by an elevator!

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 AM

I was just there recently and it's not a dump or anything but it's been some time since it was 'refreshed' as they say...

I used to live around the corner and I don't think there's really anything wrong with it..it's just not cool or flashy. It's perfect if you are going to walk or catch cabs.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,536,733 times
I would say Mid May- June- April is nice but can still be cold and drab. I remember my grandmother came out last year at the end of May and left June3 and the weather was beautiful and the trees were flowering. It was a lovely time of the year.

But if you only have end of March and early April- then cross your fingers it's nice! Cause we all know how Texas weather can be

Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,536,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Don't miss the Arboretum that time of year. Also if you come in March try to go to the Greenville Avenue St. Patrick's Parade - it's on Saturday, March 12.
That would be fun to see for a out of towner...heck it's fun for locals too!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 PM

I don't have to have flash and I am not real picky. As long as it is NOT a dump! I really liked La Qunita's rates for April. I could stay one more night then I was planning. And I will be driving a rental car. So I think it's between Marriot Courtyard and La Qunita.

I can't come in May because of work issues. So I think the week before Easter would be the best choice. Gee, I can remember it being warm and so pretty in late March(especiallyTurtle Creek with all the Azaleas) back in the 60's and 70's. But it seems that Dallas has had more winter then usual the past couple of years, so March may be pushing it!

Thanks to you both for the information.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM

The azaleas are really pretty dependable. Easter at Lee Park picnic, symphony concert and doggie parade is April 24, 2011. Dallas Blooms at the Arboretum is March 5 - April 10, 2011 http://www.dallasarboretum.org/DallasBlooms/index.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas