Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 04:35 PM

130 posts, read 156,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
OMG LMAO that video is super cheesy. Why, just why...
LOL... it was! The mayor's pass with the outside of his right foot was actually not bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 04:52 PM

3,927 posts, read 4,531,945 times
A coworker we just hired told me that he is from Arkansas. One of the reasons he moved away was that basically if you don't work for Walmart (which is based in the state), you might as well not even exist. Walmart runs EVERYTHING there. It has god knows how many employees in the state. So whenever Walmart says jump, everyone in the state asks "how high" to the detriment of everyone else in that state.

That made me think about Amazon. As fantastic as the Amazon deal could be, I wonder if it's not a double edged sword, and I'm not referring to just traffic. Whichever city they land in, Amazon would have them by the balls. Imagine Amazon in Plano. The 50,000 jobs would dwarf all other companies in the city, to the point that if Amazon suddenly made outrageous demands, could the city realistically say no? and risk losing all those jobs which would decimate that town? The answer has to be no, and that is something to think about. It would be foolish to expect that any giant company, (and not just Amazon), would not put its own interests first, even if it means screwing over the city it's based in. Only a city like maybe New York or Chicago would be big and strong enough to stand up to Amazon, and even that's 50-50. Plano/Frisco? Forget it. Remember the howling Frisco residents did when they had to give $100 million to Jerry Jones recently? Well that's a love tap compared to what Amazon will do. Proceed with caution.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 PM

385 posts, read 493,202 times
It's funny how some Frisco residents assume that young talent (under 30) wants work there.

Amazon is prestigious, though, so I don't think moving to a place like Frisco would affect campus recruiting much at all.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:10 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,692,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
It's funny how some Frisco residents assume that young talent (under 30) wants work there.

Amazon is prestigious, though, so I don't think moving to a place like Frisco would affect campus recruiting much at all.
Only people in Frisco think that place is that cool. Great if you have a family it isn't that bad. If you want a more modern life be close or in Dallas.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 PM

92 posts, read 118,112 times
Dallas proper should be far more popular if it weren't for the abysmal performance of DISD.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 AM

162 posts, read 197,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
OMG LMAO that video is super cheesy. Why, just why...
I love it, the last 5 second of the video, well done!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,812,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post

Bain & Co is a top three consulting firm and one of the most highly desired jobs for top undergrads and MBA grads. And yet they couldn't recruit top talent in Irving, and had to move to Uptown. Amazon is a lower paying and less prestigious job. Point is, they will go where their employees want to be. That's not Frisco. GE moved to Boston, not to save money, but because of recruiting.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:11 AM

140 posts, read 180,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Bain & Co is a top three consulting firm and one of the most highly desired jobs for top undergrads and MBA grads. And yet they couldn't recruit top talent in Irving, and had to move to Uptown. Amazon is a lower paying and less prestigious job. Point is, they will go where their employees want to be. That's not Frisco. GE moved to Boston, not to save money, but because of recruiting.
Amazon care about their employees? Bwaahahahahahahaha you are a joke. They care about tax $$$ deals. Employees are secondary. Enjoy your miserable DISD and minimal police force in Dallas - oh yeah and dont call 911 and expect them to be there anytime soon

Old 09-25-2017, 06:16 AM

385 posts, read 493,202 times
Quote:
This is exactly why the firm I work for (a top firm in their industry) is keeping all revenue-generating positions downtown rather than moving them to the burbs in several cities. They wanted to move some positions from the loop in Chicago to the burbs and recruiting took a hit, especially when the company's main competitors had desirable locations. I wonder how much a suburban location will affect Amazon....the typical Amazon employee is much different than the typical consulting/investment banking employee.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:42 AM

20,300 posts, read 18,620,735 times
Quote:
Well, in part GE moved because the state of Connecticut has been choking the life out of businesses of any size for years. GE saw that Connecticut was collapsing financially and knew with 100% certainty it and its well paid employees would be targeted to cover much of the shortfall. GE was the largest private employer in the state and Bernie Sanders never once paid an official visit to GE that in nutshell illuminates the problem. I'd agree that recruiting was part of the pie but it wasn't all of the pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas