Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Some of you guys need to pull your heads out of your you know where. Business friendly in this context simply means "show me the money". And contrary to the Fox News talking points, very few states are purely business friendly or unfriendly. Texas is downright hostile to your business if the state has already decided that your competitors have donated a lot of money to politicians as they are more easily/cheaply bought in this state than some others relative to the impact. Take craft beer where a brewery's distribution rights are literally stolen from craft brewers without compensation and given to distributors who are then free to sell the stolen asset to someone else for whatever the market will bear. Why? Because distributors donate tons of money to all politicians to keep the system the way it is. Specific example yes, but the point is that Texas is only business friendly if you have something to offer its politicians.
Exactly. And I've seen plenty examples of Dallas's business-unfriendly practices such as zoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 AM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
The owner/founder of Amazon also owns paper Washington Post ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.938359f5e17f)

We have to pay attention to what it says about the topic. It mentioned 39 cities that have a reasonable hope, then it mentioned Dallas a few times among different set of cities. Near the end of the elimination thought process, it mentioned:

Quote:
...that could give secondary areas like Atlanta, Dallas or Toronto a leg up.
Dallas is very much in the competition. The way they ask different cities to fight it over is probably asking for tax and other incentives.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM

990 posts, read 2,302,731 times
Someone said there's not much Dallas can offer that Austin can't. Well, Dallas can't meet the requirements they listed, Austin can't.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:27 PM

140 posts, read 141,134 times
Looking at the requirements I would say the area of DFW that fits the best is the old Texas stadium site. It has easy access to freeways and the Dart line runs right through the area to the airport and downtown with a station that can be built right at the front door of the headquarters. The only question is how soon would they have access to start building on the land I think the freeways around there will be finished within the next year.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:52 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
Looking at the requirements I would say the area of DFW that fits the best is the old Texas stadium site. It has easy access to freeways and the Dart line runs right through the area to the airport and downtown with a station that can be built right at the front door of the headquarters. The only question is how soon would they have access to start building on the land I think the freeways around there will be finished within the next year.

That's a good suggestion. In between two airports as well. Is the area big enough?

I do think if they selected Dallas, the Irving-Las Colinas area is where they would go. Not Plano. Possibly downtown, but not sure where they are going to find the space they need there.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 PM

692 posts, read 854,908 times
Used to go to the University of Dallas and walk around the stadium area at night. That site is enormous. It would easily be big enough for the job, and it would utterly dominate the area, which has a bit of a vaccum there.

I would still be surprised if it came this way, but it's definitely big enough for the job, and Irving would bend over backwards to get it.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Used to go to the University of Dallas and walk around the stadium area at night. That site is enormous. It would easily be big enough for the job, and it would utterly dominate the area, which has a bit of a vaccum there.

I would still be surprised if it came this way, but it's definitely big enough for the job, and Irving would bend over backwards to get it.

So would Irving/Plano etc. all have to submit separate proposals to Amazon, or would they partner with Dallas on a single "Dallas proposal"?

If individual burbs all have to submit proposals that's going to be A LOT of cities Amazon would have to shift thru, I would think.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
So would Irving/Plano etc. all have to submit separate proposals to Amazon, or would they partner with Dallas on a single "Dallas proposal"?

If individual burbs all have to submit proposals that's going to be A LOT of cities Amazon would have to shift thru, I would think.
My best guess? Amazon already has 2-3 front runners. But they publicly launched this search for HQ2 as a way of telling these top contenders "you better get ready to pay up". They already know which metros have the space and talent to fill the jobs and want to make sure those places know how much the entire country is salivating over this thing so they get the right package. Kinda like when the Patriots played Boston and Hartford against each other. Or Jerry when he is shopping around for something for the Cowboys.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Phoenix? WTH?

Austin I could see...I don't think their tech talent pool is necessarily broader or deeper than ours, but Austin is "hip".

Denver...eh...I don't see it. Maybe.

San Francisco...if Amazon's looking to build a second and equal HQ in the US, it doesn't really make sense to me that they'd locate it so close to Seattle and in the same time zone.

Irving area in Dallas...only because Plano's saturated. If you're going to locate a corporate HQ that size in irving, you need a much larger pool of talent than Irving can offer.

Interesting....NYT selected Denver, with final 3 choices being Denver, Washington, and Boston.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...?smid=fb-share

Old 09-09-2017, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 29,086 times
Denver traffic is awful. Eliminating dallas but keeping Denver because of traffic is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas