Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:51 AM

455 posts, read 579,289 times

Advertisements

I highly doubt they will come to DFW. Probably no place in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
Agreed. I'd be surprised if they did.

I don't see them going to Boston either, though. Boston's kind of a tech backwater these days. Crappy pay too considering the cost of living.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 AM

Boston is some what like Seattle, I could see it. NY would be cool too.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,781,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Phoenix? WTH?

Austin I could see...I don't think their tech talent pool is necessarily broader or deeper than ours, but Austin is "hip".

Denver...eh...I don't see it. Maybe.

San Francisco...if Amazon's looking to build a second and equal HQ in the US, it doesn't really make sense to me that they'd locate it so close to Seattle and in the same time zone.

Irving area in Dallas...only because Plano's saturated. If you're going to locate a corporate HQ that size in irving, you need a much larger pool of talent than Irving can offer.
Austin is skewed to hardware, not software, so maybe less of a fit. It could be a contender because it's trendy and has an educated workforce (in general) but honestly I'd probably put Dallas itself above Austin.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 AM

989 posts, read 2,443,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
I can see that reasoning, but their press release says this:

"What is Amazon HQ2?
Amazon HQ2 will be the second Amazon headquarters in North America. We are looking for a location with strong local and regional talent—particularly in software development and related fields—as well as a stable and business-friendly environment to continue hiring and innovating on behalf of our customers."

Now, this isn't always the case, but "business-friendly environment" usually translates to low-tax/fiscally conservative environment.

That puts DFW and most other southern cities at least in the mix, IMO. Even though culturally it may not be what they are looking for.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,462,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Agreed.DFW has the airport,the infastructure,the talent and the business friendly environment.The Legacy area of Plano would make a lot of sense...
Don't look down on Chicago. Despite not drinking the Republican Kool-Aid and becoming in a "business friendly" Red State, Chicago is still a beacon of light in the rusting Midwest. DFW is beholden to one airline while O'Hare is a hub for two airlines. There are 10 million people in Chicagoland and the North and West suburbs are also full of corporations and talent. The Loop is what Texas and the South could dream about.

QOL is also factor and Chicago's lakefront and parks are aesthetically beautiful. Metra relieves the stress of driving the 30 miles on the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
But given their existing HQ in Seattle, it seems less likely. It's in downtown Seattle in a walkable area (Legacy isn't walkable - don't even bother with this comeback), near where younger people with high incomes want to live, not built in a suburb to save the company money. My best guess is NYC or Boston because they've actually got the talent already there (DFW doesn't by any stretch of the imagination). The poster who mentioned Canada could be to something as well.
Houston would be the only vibrant Downtown in the Sunbelt. The Heights is close-by and resembles Austin or Seattle's hipster neighborhoods.

I would agree with catering with Millennials after seeing McDonalds and Motorola move to Downtown Chicago from the suburbs. Right now, the commercial market in Suburban Chicago is in the dumps but The Loop is unexpectedly booming.

Toronto could be in the running, with its advantageous geographical location between the East Coast and the Great Lakes/Midwest region and being in another country.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 AM

New Hampshire would be a good pick for that.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Don't look down on Chicago. Despite not drinking the Republican Kool-Aid and becoming in a "business friendly" Red State, Chicago is still a beacon of light in the rusting Midwest. DFW is beholden to one airline while O'Hare is a hub for two airlines. There are 10 million people in Chicagoland and the North and West suburbs are also full of corporations and talent. The Loop is what Texas and the South could dream about.

QOL is also factor and Chicago's lakefront and parks are aesthetically beautiful. Metra relieves the stress of driving the 30 miles on the freeway.

Houston would be the only vibrant Downtown in the Sunbelt. The Heights is close-by and resembles Austin or Seattle's hipster neighborhoods.

I would agree with catering with Millennials after seeing McDonalds and Motorola move to Downtown Chicago from the suburbs. Right now, the commercial market in Suburban Chicago is in the dumps but The Loop is unexpectedly booming.

Toronto could be in the running, with its advantageous geographical location between the East Coast and the Great Lakes/Midwest region and being in another country.
I'm not trying to hate on Chicago, could still be an option, but my impression is it's a city on the decline...could be wrong though.

https://www.economist.com/news/unite...cking-up-again

"Cook county, which includes Chicago, saw the largest population fall in the same period, with a net loss of more than 21,000 people. Seven of America’s eight fastest-growing states are in the west. (In addition to Arizona, they are Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington; the eighth state is Florida.) Illinois, which contains Chicago, has lost more people than any other state for three years in a row."

Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 AM

I wouldn't rule out this place either:

https://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...o-Economy.html

Major Industries and Commercial Activity
The Provo-Orem area has a diverse economy with every employment sector well represented. The area is home to the second largest concentration of software technologies companies in the United States and has the third largest concentration of high-technology companies. There is also a large concentration of biotech companies located in the area.

Some of the world's major software companies are located in the area, including Novell, Inc., Symantec and Corel, creating opportunities for more than 400 small to mid-range high-technology companies. Provo is also home to such giants as Nestle Frozen Foods and Nu Skin Enterprises Inc. High-technology companies in the Provo/Orem area include Micron Technology, Ameritech Library Services, Convergys, Folio Corporation, Viewsoft, and Nimbus Manufacturing, among others.

The notable work ethic of local employees and the appeal of a serene mountain community have made Provo ideal for a wide variety of manufacturers, communications firms, and marketing and retail organizations, including Banta Press, Nature's Sunshine, Sears Telecatalog, PowerQuest Corp., and Powder River Manufacturing. Many industrial parks offer a variety of settings for light to heavy industry with abundant, low-cost utilities.

As other sectors of the economy have prospered in recent years, retailers have seen dramatic increases as well. Provo is a magnet for many of the surrounding counties and the major shopping areas are easily accessible from I-15 and other main routes.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:11 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,116,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I wouldn't rule out this place either:

https://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...o-Economy.html

Major Industries and Commercial Activity
The Provo-Orem area has a diverse economy with every employment sector well represented. The area is home to the second largest concentration of software technologies companies in the United States and has the third largest concentration of high-technology companies. There is also a large concentration of biotech companies located in the area.

Some of the world's major software companies are located in the area, including Novell, Inc., Symantec and Corel, creating opportunities for more than 400 small to mid-range high-technology companies. Provo is also home to such giants as Nestle Frozen Foods and Nu Skin Enterprises Inc. High-technology companies in the Provo/Orem area include Micron Technology, Ameritech Library Services, Convergys, Folio Corporation, Viewsoft, and Nimbus Manufacturing, among others.

The notable work ethic of local employees and the appeal of a serene mountain community have made Provo ideal for a wide variety of manufacturers, communications firms, and marketing and retail organizations, including Banta Press, Nature's Sunshine, Sears Telecatalog, PowerQuest Corp., and Powder River Manufacturing. Many industrial parks offer a variety of settings for light to heavy industry with abundant, low-cost utilities.

As other sectors of the economy have prospered in recent years, retailers have seen dramatic increases as well. Provo is a magnet for many of the surrounding counties and the major shopping areas are easily accessible from I-15 and other main routes.

Umm. No.

It will be interesting, but like others I don't expect DFW to be selected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas