Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:05 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,031,384 times

Advertisements

Unlimited Books for $9.99/ month

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...cId=1002872331

You can put it ony device with a kindle app, PC, tablet, smartphone, so actual Kindle device isn't needed.
Comes with a free 30 day trial.
Pretty good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 03:09 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,569,723 times
Upside is in many cases, Kindle Unlimited also gives access to the audio versions of the offered books.

Downside is the term "Unlimited" is a misnomer. Although there's no restriction on the number of books you can read each month, there is a limited selection of titles to choose from. It doesn't include books from the major publishers - Simon & Schuster, Harper Collins, Macmillan, Penguin Random House, and Hatchette.

Also, folks who are Kindle owners and have Amazon Prime already have access, via the Kindle Owners Lending Library, to one free book a month from the same library that's offered with Kindle Unlimited.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,962,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Unlimited Books for $9.99/ month

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...cId=1002872331

You can put it ony device with a kindle app, PC, tablet, smartphone, so actual Kindle device isn't needed.
Comes with a free 30 day trial.
Pretty good deal.
It's only a good deal if you already spend more than $10 a month on indie books, or over $120 a year on indie books (since it was pointed out that books from major publishers aren't included). Since I've mostly been buying books from major publishers when they go on sale for under $5, which isn't normally more than once a month, it doesn't make much sense for me to sign up.

Though I'm not really sure what is stopping people from signing up for the 30 day free trial, downloading hundreds of books, then cancelling, thereby getting hundreds of books for free. Can you only read the books you got through subscription as long as you are still subscribed, or something?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,474,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Though I'm not really sure what is stopping people from signing up for the 30 day free trial, downloading hundreds of books, then cancelling, thereby getting hundreds of books for free. Can you only read the books you got through subscription as long as you are still subscribed, or something?
They won't be yours to keep. It's more like a lending library.
From the Help File:
"You can keep up to ten books at a time and there are no due dates."
and
"To use Kindle Unlimited, you must have an Amazon account with a current, valid credit card and you must have 1-Click payments enabled."
(So I guess if you go over, they charge you )

Old 07-19-2014, 01:26 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,697,410 times
Its interesting, Amazon seems to be coming out with something new all the time. Jeff Bezos Blue Origin rocket company just got a space contract with the US government too, among other news.

The main reason I'm not subscribing now is because once school starts again I won't have time for much pleasure reading. I might look into the 30 day trail and if I like it maybe I'll sign up again when I have more free time.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
They won't be yours to keep. It's more like a lending library.
From the Help File:
"You can keep up to ten books at a time and there are no due dates."
Ah, there it is, Kindle "Unlimited" is not really unlimited, it's only 10 books at a time.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,697,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Ah, there it is, Kindle "Unlimited" is not really unlimited, it's only 10 books at a time.
Why would you need more than 10 books at any given time? I think that's about the limit at my local library too. It is unlimited because you can read as many as you want you just can't have more than 10 at a time, otherwise everyone would download a few thousand books and then cancel it.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:28 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,361,984 times
I like Amazon but I prefer to support my local library system.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Why would you need more than 10 books at any given time?
It's not so much about the amount as it is what I want to read when. What if I've downloaded 10 but then I see a book I'd rather read first? I can't do that, I have to first read and return one of the 10 I already have before I can get the one I wanted to read immediately.

This is really just an extension of Kindle's Lending Library, which I don't use. For those who do, this might be a great option, but regardless, the term "Unlimited" is a misnomer because it IS limited to 10 books at a time. Doesn't really matter whether you need more or not, it IS limited. I equally hate that phone companies have so-called unlimited data plans when they do actually have a data cap on them. It should be false advertising but I guess it's not because they do disclose the truth in the "fine print". It's the principle of the matter, it's misleading and deceptive.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,872,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I like Amazon but I prefer to support my local library system.
and can also borrow titles free from BookLending.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books