Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM

368 posts, read 932,344 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to FM from South Florida in mid-March, but wanted to understand if zoning works the same there. There seem to be SO many elementary schools within a few feet of each other in Flower Mound.

We are zoned for 75028 (Bentley Woods Estates I think it's called where we are buying) and my older son (1st grader) is zoned for Forest Vista Elementary. I had hoped for Garden Ridge Elementary since the staff on the phone seemed extremely nice and helpful and Forest Vista, not so much, but impressions over the phone are difficult. However... Garden Ridge Elementary had what they called a "social skills" program that my older son needs and Forest Vista does not, so a little disappointed there too.

So I found out PK in Forest Vista and all of the elementary schools it seems in FM are not full day, only 3 hours, which would mean we would pay for the 3 hours there, and then need another day care for the afternoon! Forest Vista can't take any more children anyway - they're full. They referred us to Timber Creek - no tuition-based spots open there either and that's the only program we'd qualify for. We were floored since we're used to full-day preschool here (6:30am-6:30pm). So for the remaining year until summer, does anyone have recommendations for private preschools that are close to Forest Vista/Timber Creek? We'll have better luck getting into the PK program in the fall. For preschools, I've heard great things about Primrose?? My 4-year-old is very verbal, highly active, strong imagination (and somewhat strong-willed), independent. I'm thinking Montessori too possibly but again, might be too expensive.

But my question is this, if we ended up not liking Forest Vista for our older son and wanted to go over to Timber Creek right down the road, could we do it? I'm just wondering what our options are if we really find our older son doesn't get the support he needs due to his gifted/ADHD/ASD status. We don't have the money for private school for him AND private preschool for our 4-year-old so I'm hoping people have experiences in these schools.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 PM

24 posts, read 28,785 times
I'll try to help a little. My kids went to both Garden Ridge and Timber Creek. Both were good experiences. Forest Vista and Garden Ridge are very close and there is a nice The Children's Courtyard within a couple of blocks of them. It does both pre-school and after school care. Timber Creek is about 3 miles away from The Children's Courtyard.

I know that there is transferring that takes place between Garden Ridge and Forest Vista when it's more convenient to go to one over the other. The first year we lived in this neighborhood I had my daughter transferred to Timber Creek to go to a special program for a year. At that time the principal of the school you were transferring out of had to sign off on the transfer. The staff at Garden Ridge are just wonderful. My best friend's kids went to Forest Vista and the staff there are also great - except the principal, or so she says. She had to work fairly closely with him, and she felt that he was difficult.

Close than Timber Creek is Vickery Elementary School. It's a fairly new school and you might want to check it out. Donald Elementary School may also be closer to you than Timber Creek. I think all elementary schools in Flower Mound are great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: