Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 AM

66 posts, read 382,490 times

Advertisements

We are moving into a home in Hickory Creek. The elementary school assigned to us is not one I would prefer to send my kids. Currently, they attend private school in Preston Hollow and we LOVE the school but the commute once we move is going to be too far, especially if dealing with the IH35! I'm used to driving 4 minutes to get them to school. Not far from us is Flower Mound and it looks like there are some high rated elementary schools in that area. I'm not too impressed with the private schools I've seen in the area unless there is one someone can highly recommend to me that is not more than a 20 min drive. The private schools near me are Lakeland Christian, Grace Christian, or Explorations. I'm not the biggest fan of Montessori but will consider it if it's as good a school as they are used to. Are these any better than the public elementary schools in Flower Mound? I am going to rent a house for the nanny and would look in the zones of the better elementary if it's comparable to the private schools in the area. My kids are currently in Kinder and 1st grade. Small class size, parent/teacher involvement, no bullying, higher than average academic curriculum, and extra curricular activities are among our most important desires in a school. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!
*We are not just moving out to Hickory Creek for the hell of it, FYI. There are reasons why we must move into the house we are relocating to, otherwise, we would choose a home in a different area*

Last edited by kittypawz11; 12-22-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:45 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,929 times
Are you asking public to help you manipulate the system so you can have your cake and eat it too? What was stopping you to research local schools and commute to privates before you were blinded with the million dollar bling?

Old 12-22-2013, 12:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
You're a real piece of work. Best wishes. Why anyone would buy an expensive home in a sub par school district when schools are important, doesn't compute with my logic.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:13 PM

Regardless of schools, we are renting an apartment or house for the nanny(she has kids of her own) in which my kids would also live in part time. I am simply asking about the reputation of public schools in the area because I would rent her home in that zone if possible. Her kids would also attend the school. Our reasons for moving out of Park Cities are work and financial related. If I could stay where we are, I would but it's just not possible and we didn't just choose to move out to Hickory Creek for the fun of it. There are reasons in which we must live in the house we are moving into.
Moving a child from Greenhill private or HP elemntary to Corinth Elementary is not something any parent would willingly do if they had the means to keep their child in a better school. I simply just cannot drive an hour + twice a day, 5 days a week, to keep them in the school they are at and I would like to my kids to attend a decent school. But I see your point and I apologize for any offense. I really do not want to take them out of the schools they'e in so I'm just going to have to make the drive for now I guess! Yikes. Is 35 the best route? Anyone have any alternative routes to get to North Dallas toll from 35(Lewisville)? How long of a drive during school hours am I look at?

Last edited by kittypawz11; 12-22-2013 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-22-2013, 12:17 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
You mentioned earlier that your kids were in an HP elementary?

>>My kids are ages 5 and 7 and currently attend elementary in Highland Park. We are moving to a beautiful home in Lewisville (Hickory Creek) very soon and I have absolutely zero knowledge of the Lewisville area apart from the lake.<<

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...land-park.html

Old 12-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Yes, one is HP elementary and the older in private b/c he needs more attention due to dyslexia. I am just going to have to bite the bullet and make the drive from Hickory Creek but not sure what kind of drive I'm looking at.

Last edited by kittypawz11; 12-22-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 03:58 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawz11 View Post
Regardless of schools, we are renting an apartment or house for the nanny(she has kids of her own) in which my kids would also live in part time. I am simply asking about the reputation of public schools in the area because I would rent her home in that zone if possible. Her kids would also attend the school.
1. If your original post was truly to inquire on behalf of nanny, then you wouldn't have dropped in the bit about "the school the house is zoned to is not one you'd prefer your kids to attend".

2. Your kids spending time at nanny's house (living there "part time") does NOT in any way establish residency for school enrollment. Splitting time between nanny + parents is NOTthe same as splitting time between divorced mom + dad who live in different school districts (in that situation, kids can enroll in either school as they clearly have residence in both). You said nanny's kids would "also" attend the FM school, implying your kids would, too.

3. Your only 3 choices are : public schools zoned to your new house, any private school your kids can get into, or sticking with Greenhill and trying to get the sibling in there as well. I wouldn't rule Greenhill out; check the school directory and you might find a family or two who live in your new area with whom you could carpool. Doing the drive only 1-2 days a week is much better than all 5 days!

You seem completely clueless as to how public school zones work which I will hopefully attribute to you possibly being new to the US school system (please say yes!) If that isn't the case, then what you have proposed on this forum across several posts reeks of entitlement and being above the law.

I would encourage you to find a suitable private school (or stick with Greenhill) because I can GUARANTEE you that if you use nanny's home address to enroll your kids in Flower Mound schools, the very second you get caught, your kids will be yanked out of that school and will be enrolled in Lake Dallas ISD the very next day. You can also get fined. Not to mention getting nanny in trouble for being a part of this scheme....you do care for this woman, correct?!

I saw the same scenario play out in HPISD where families living in Garland or wherever would rent cheap apartments by SMU for residency. It never lasted. Plus, those kids usually had no friends because they could never reciprocate with play dates and sleepovers for fear of being "caught."

Think about the example you are setting for your kids. Skirting / breaking the law and causing them to be accomplices in your "secret" doings. Soooooo wrong to subject children to this way of thinking & living.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
FYI, from Lewisville ISD website:

"I have been informed fully and understand it is a criminal offense to present false information to enroll a student in a public school. Falsifying, altering, or tampering with government documents are offenses subject to prosecution as a misdemeanor or felony under perjury law and Penal Code 37.10. A person who presents false enrollment documents is also subject to liability for tuition costs. Presentation of false information or neglecting to notify the school district of a change in the residency status which results in lack of proof of residency in Lewisville I.S.D. will cause immediate withdrawal from school. I attest that all representations I have made in this document are true and correct."

You will sign this document when you enroll your kids into Flower Mound schools.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 PM

9 posts, read 11,964 times
I agree with the above poster. You should stick with the school you're in or choose a private school closer to your new area.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Thank you, Turtle Creek 80! I definitely will take your advice and look into car pooling and splitting the drive days with the nanny to finish this year out. I'm a flight attendant so am out of town a lot and my husband travels often for work, hence the nanny. I'm also going to see if there are any decent private options closer that I can put them in next school year. I definitely don't want to break any laws and I was unaware of the seriousness of it. No wonder I've received such negative responses! I'm completely clueless when it comes to the school system and zoning and all that. Thank you so much for taking the time to advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas