Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,328,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawz11 View Post
Thank you, Turtle Creek 80! I definitely will take your advice and look into car pooling and splitting the drive days with the nanny to finish this year out. I'm a flight attendant so am out of town a lot and my husband travels often for work, hence the nanny. I'm also going to see if there are any decent private options closer that I can put them in next school year. I definitely don't want to break any laws and I was unaware of the seriousness of it. No wonder I've received such negative responses! I'm completely clueless when it comes to the school system and zoning and all that. Thank you so much for taking the time to advise.
Here is public schools 101: Texas school districts are called "independent" (ISD's) because they operate independent of any city or county. ISD boundaries do not always follow city boundaries which is why there are kids living in the 7000 blocks of Dallas who attend HPISD and why Town of HP west of the Tollroad attend Dallas ISD.

The public schools your kids attend depends on your home address. There are families all over the metroplex who may be closer, distance-wise, to a different elementary school in the same ISD or even a different school in another ISD, but they must go to the school their address is zoned to.

This is why it is INCREDIBLY important to research schools as part of your home search; it would be horrible to find out you live in, say, Plano but are zoned to Frisco or Lewisville schools or to find out that school that is walking distance from your new home isn't the one your kid will attend.

VERY, VERY rarely do school disrricts allow inter-district transfers. When they do, the kid transferring in pays tuition that is comparable to private school tuition.

The reason other posters were outraged by what you were suggesting is that 1) it's illegal, and 2) just like in HPISD, the best schools all around the metroplex are overcrowded. Families pay a premium to live in these neifhborboods due to their fabulous schools. How would you feel if your child who is at Bradfield had 5 more kids in his/ her class, all of whom live in Lakewood or Oak Cliff or Plano and who are using a "sham" address where dad keeps a small office or a tiny studio apartment for granny as their HPISD qualifying address. They don't pay HPISD taxes (and you know how cash-strapped the district's resources are without these 5 "free-loading" kids!!), they don't live anywhere near you, and they don't participate in anything (YMCA sports, neighborhood churches, Boy/Girl scouts, cafeteria duty, PTA meetings, etc) because they live in fear of being "found out". What you were talking about doing to the Lewisville ISD is no different!

It sounds as though you've already closed on the Hickory Creek home, but if you haven't, I'd have a firm chat with your hubby. It sounds like you greatly value education and you have a tough choice to make between Lake Dallas ISD, mediocre private schools, or doubling your Greenhill tuition bill (which may be another financial burden). If you need to be close to the airport, Coppell ISD, Carroll ISD (Southlake) or Grapevine- Colleyville ISD would all be much stronger choices academically. Flower Mound as well. Perhaps there is a solution you haven't thought of yet?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:34 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,565,587 times
All I can add is it isn't going to happen in LISD, especially in the competitive elementaries. The parents zoned to Wellington elementary pitched a hissy fit when the zoning was going to change within the school district.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:32 PM

86 posts, read 155,618 times
I was going to respond to the OP, but decided to read some of their other posts first.

Here's just one example:
Where do the "normal" people hang out?

And then the next day after this above post:
Relocating to Dallas from Los Angeles

???

Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,770,291 times
Nice catch! Trolling perhaps?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 AM

788 posts, read 1,226,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFam View Post
I was going to respond to the OP, but decided to read some of their other posts first.

Here's just one example:

???
So funny! Her posts aren't even believable. One minute she's a single girl relocating, the next she's married and moving to Hickory Creek.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,910,504 times
Quote:

Here's just one example:

???
Lets not also forget that those posts are CIRCA 2009. A lot can happen in almost 4 years. Its easy to forget to look at how old the posts are!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Lets not also forget that those posts are CIRCA 2009. A lot can happen in almost 4 years. Its easy to forget to look at how old the posts are!
Yes, but those posts were a day apart....read them. One day, she's a single 28 year old and the next day (literally, the next day), she's in her 30's and living somewhere else.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM

138 posts, read 217,109 times
Quote:
Yes, but those posts were a day apart....read them. One day, she's a single 28 year old and the next day (literally, the next day), she's in her 30's and living somewhere else.
Actually, if you read them. One day shes early 30s and is moving to Portland from Dallas and a day later shes 28 living in Dallas.

Women lie about there age(she could very well be 40 who knows), but reading the posts together, it is plausible that she lived in Dallas and was in the process of moving to move to Portland on those days she posted.

But yeah it does seem kind of fishy.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
Actually, if you read them. One day shes early 30s and is moving to Portland from Dallas and a day later shes 28 living in Dallas.

Women lie about there age(she could very well be 40 who knows), but reading the posts together, it is plausible that she lived in Dallas and was in the process of moving to move to Portland on those days she posted.

But yeah it does seem kind of fishy.
I see your point....maybe she was just looking to make friends and, yes, didn't necessarily want to tell her real age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas