Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,430,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
All I want to do is have a nice smallish 2 bedroom condo with a garage in a community that also has a fitness center for around 175k ish and basically just come and go to work and in my off time work on my hobbies (guitar) - personal development (classes) and find a nice 45-50 year old girlfriend.
All the first part is "yes", but Plano is a family oriented city with not that much nightlife nor any big public social actitivies or locations, so finding a girlfriend will be the tougher part. The rec centers in Plano (there are several) are inexpensive and offer the fitness and personal development classes you are interested in. You may also check Richardson and far north Dallas. They offer similar things.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,463,293 times
Here's an exercise for all of you:
Let's say that in this imaginary world, West Plano was merged with Frisco or Lewisville. Now the city of "Plano" is basically what you would call East Plano. West Plano doesnt exist. So now what would the perception of the "new Plano" be? upscale suburb on the level of Frisco/Allen that people are fighting to move to? or declining ghetto more on the level of Garland to be avoided by those with "better options"?

You can repeat the same thing in reverse; let's say East Plano was merged with Richardson and now Plano consists only of West Plano, what would the perception be? declining suburb to be avoided or very upscale city?

Your HONEST answers to these questions will tell you which part of Plano is dragging who down.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,474,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Here's an exercise for all of you:
Let's say that in this imaginary world, West Plano was merged with Frisco or Lewisville. Now the city of "Plano" is basically what you would call East Plano. West Plano doesnt exist. So now what would the perception of the "new Plano" be? upscale suburb on the level of Frisco/Allen that people are fighting to move to? or declining ghetto more on the level of Garland to be avoided by those with "better options"?

You can repeat the same thing in reverse; let's say East Plano was merged with Richardson and now Plano consists only of West Plano, what would the perception be? declining suburb to be avoided or very upscale city?

Your HONEST answers to these questions will tell you which part of Plano is dragging who down.
You're taking away the strongest, safest, highest preforming, wealthiest part of the city and not expecting people to think that is a decline?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,430,080 times
East Plano has DART, downtown and Oak Point Park, west Plano has a high concentration of employment, Central Plano has affordable houses plenty of libraries, amenities, and access to muliple employment corridors, and all 3 have good schools. No part is bringing any other part down.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:15 AM

533 posts, read 645,839 times
Like somebody else quoted on this thread - big cities will always have less affluent parts. If West Plano were right next to the park cities, some might say West Plano is dragging down park cities. Would you buy the argument then? All I'm saying is that it is relative and it is a part of life. "Dragging down" is the wrong phrase to use because people are not going to stop buying houses in West Plano because it is in the same city as East Plano.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,655,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Like somebody else quoted on this thread - big cities will always have less affluent parts. If West Plano were right next to the park cities, some might say West Plano is dragging down park cities. Would you buy the argument then? All I'm saying is that it is relative and it is a part of life. "Dragging down" is the wrong phrase to use because people are not going to stop buying houses in West Plano because it is in the same city as East Plano.
Man, the cheap parts of UP are dragging down Park Cities overall. I hear there are ACTUAL DETACHED HOMES available there for BARELY OVER A MILLION DOLLARS! THE SHAME!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,474,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Man, the cheap parts of UP are dragging down Park Cities overall. I hear there are ACTUAL DETACHED HOMES available there for BARELY OVER A MILLION DOLLARS! THE SHAME!
If you were to remove all student housing, duplexes, etc. from UP , you would see the average median income in the area skyrocket. Also University Park is MUCH different than the entire city of Plano.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,655,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
If you were to remove all student housing, duplexes, etc. from UP , you would see the average median income in the area skyrocket. Also University Park is MUCH different than the entire city of Plano.
This is why they should get rid of those parts of UP, as they're dragging down PC. Not to mention those loud drunken college students.

Actually, we could single out whatever the "cheapest" part is of PC and say it's "dragging it down". There's always a less affluent something somewhere. Southlake is dragging down Westlake by being adjacent to it and not as wealthy. Whatever.

I think most people were amused and angered by the comments about East Plano being "ghetto". Home of one of the top 15 or so public non-magnet highs in all of DFW equated with pimps and "hoes"* and drug sellers on every street corner?

*- well, there may be a number of Home Depot stores with large gardening departments...wait, what? Oh...er, never mind.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,214,988 times
In East Dallas some of us actually like the fact that we have affluent AND poor areas.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:03 PM

20 posts, read 28,539 times
West Plano can benefit by declaring independence but being a part of Plano is not hurting them so why bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas