Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,648,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
Also, not hard to find stats that show that it is not the money spent on schools that counts (at least not beyond a certain threshold) - check out DC or Chicago average spend per pupil (some of the highest in the country) and their overall performance (e.g. graduation rates, college enrollments, SAT averages, etc.). One can argue that the districts here seem to know better how to get a return for our tax money.
Although I agree with most of your post, I would point out that when one compares "apples to apples" from the chicago area to DFW, it reflects higher test scores (SAT/ACT) practically across the board for the Chicago schools compared to DFW schools. I've posted on this in the past (Northside Prep and Whitney Young magnets vs. TAG and SEM magnets, New Trier HS vs. Highland Park, Stevenson HS vs....probably Plano ISD is a decent analog, although one could take some issue with that).

The majority of Chicago (city proper) public schools are bad, but the same holds true for most of DISD, save the magnets...but again, on standardized test scores the Chicago magnets outpace the DFW ones. DFW schools are ranked higher by US News because the students take more AP tests. The AP testing appears to vary by region.

None of this is a knock on DFW schools in general, but I don't want to see Chicagoland schools getting knocked unfairly, either.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 AM

382 posts, read 629,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Although I agree with most of your post, I would point out that when one compares "apples to apples" from the chicago area to DFW, it reflects higher test scores (SAT/ACT) practically across the board for the Chicago schools compared to DFW schools. I've posted on this in the past (Northside Prep and Whitney Young magnets vs. TAG and SEM magnets, New Trier HS vs. Highland Park, Stevenson HS vs....probably Plano ISD is a decent analog, although one could take some issue with that).

The majority of Chicago (city proper) public schools are bad, but the same holds true for most of DISD, save the magnets...but again, on standardized test scores the Chicago magnets outpace the DFW ones. DFW schools are ranked higher by US News because the students take more AP tests. The AP testing appears to vary by region.

None of this is a knock on DFW schools in general, but I don't want to see Chicagoland schools getting knocked unfairly, either.
I think you missed my point.

Best I could find without serious digging, but just Plano ISD (one of the "northern parts of DFW" I was actually referring to vs DISD) for one example:

Plano Independent School District for Plano
Naperville Community Unit District 2 for Dallas
City Of Chicago School District 299 for Chicago
Naperville Community Unit District 2 for Naperville

Chicago's budget is 21% higher than Dallas, but has comparable overall performance per the stats on No Child Left Behind (NCLB) measures. Similar results with the suburbs - e.g. Naperville (often cited as one of the best cities in America) vs Plano.

Having been in the midwest and north east, folks there always trash the "education in Texas". Even folks here do, saying "we need to spend more money". Rubbish!

Reality is very different when one gets specific about area, performance, and budget.

As you rightly point out, there are specific lines of schools that one can locate within that are superior. Likely true for every major metro area.

The point is value for money spent. And, no doubt, taxes in Chicago and area are higher to support that extra expenditure (vs in the DFW area). Money spent is not the differentiator.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,648,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
I think you missed my point....
Chicago's budget is 21% higher than Dallas, but has comparable overall performance per the stats on No Child Left Behind (NCLB) measures. Similar results with the suburbs - e.g. Naperville (often cited as one of the best cities in America) vs Plano.

Having been in the midwest and north east, folks there always trash the "education in Texas". Even folks here do, saying "we need to spend more money". Rubbish! ...

The point is value for money spent. And, no doubt, taxes in Chicago and area are higher to support that extra expenditure (vs in the DFW area). Money spent is not the differentiator.
OK, got it. Although I might disagree to some extent with some of your points above, that's a far more nuanced discussion. I do think that the recent discussions in both Texas AND other states (including IL) about reducing education expenditures are an issue, but again, tangential discussion.

Back on point to the thread - Plano ISD is pretty much, pound for pound, the best district in all of DFW. Anyone knocking it makes me wonder WTH they're thinking.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 AM

382 posts, read 629,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
OK, got it. Although I might disagree to some extent with some of your points above, that's a far more nuanced discussion. I do think that the recent discussions in both Texas AND other states (including IL) about reducing education expenditures are an issue, but again, tangential discussion.

Back on point to the thread - Plano ISD is pretty much, pound for pound, the best district in all of DFW. Anyone knocking it makes me wonder WTH they're thinking.
Yes, not much to disagree about, really. My original post was in response to the "Nouveaux Riche" and "Texas needs to spend more money" comments. Broad brush statements that lump districts like PISD in with the rest of Texas, which gives an extremely inaccurate picture, and is often used for a justification to up taxes. Maybe spend smarter is the answer...PISD seems to have the model figured out.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:46 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,669 times
I didn't know Chicago was a part of Plano. This thread is way off topic and closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas