Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
It's good that you're not angry with me.

I just get tired of Plano West being painted as Highland Park North, when it's not.
Ahh, I was just ignorantly shooting off my mouth anyways. Usually I try to be helpful and informative, but sometimes I just like to stir things up!

I think maybe I've been hanging out on the Miami board too much ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 02:58 PM

198 posts, read 499,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Ahh, I was just ignorantly shooting off my mouth anyways. Usually I try to be helpful and informative, but sometimes I just like to stir things up!

I think maybe I've been hanging out on the Miami board too much ...
It happens. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done the same thing before. lol

Old 03-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Very true, as can be seen by the diversity stats I posted earlier. The fairly minor differences in Black, Asian, and Hispanic populations between PSHS and PWSH going forward can be mostly attributed to the dilution caused by adding the rest of Jasper (with its largely White & Asian population) to PWSH.

However, compared to PESH, it's a different story. It can't be denied that there is a huge disparity in Hispanic populations between PESH and PWSH. (And PESH and PSHS, for that matter.) Maybe I have rose-colored glasses on, but I don't think that's the real motivator in trashing PESH. (Otherwise, we'd be seeing posters plugging PSHS over PESH, which isn't happening.) IMO, the big factor between East and West isn't ethnicity, it's the rich/poor divide.

True, PWSH doesn't have the 0.0% economically disadvantaged percentage that HP does. Still, PESH has 3x the economically disadvantaged percentage as PWSH. And that's why people are steered towards PWSH and away from PESH. It's all about the Benjamins.
There are so many misconceptions about the Plano ISD senior highs that it isn't funny. Plano West and Plano Senior are both at 7% disadvantaged at this point and have very similar demographics. People like to look at Willow Bend Country and the Lakeside neighborhoods and think those are the types of people that attend PWSH. The two senior highs are more similar than different.

It seems like East gets ragged on because it serves the older part of Plano. People ignore some of the mansions in Parker or the nice homes in Murphy and Los Rios and stereotype it by Old Town Plano.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:20 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
It seems like East gets ragged on because it serves the older part of Plano. People ignore some of the mansions in Parker or the nice homes in Murphy and Los Rios and stereotype it by Old Town Plano.
It will be interesting to see how PESH evolves over the next decade. Right now, it's the red-haired stepchild. Moving Clark over to PSHS reduces the amount of "old Plano" (if you can call 80s builds "old") feeding to PESH, and might allow the continued new construction of $500K+ houses in Parker, Murphy, and north Richardson to create a critical mass and swing the socio-economic pendulum PESH's way.

City-Data of 2016 just might be full of posts warning people away from PSHS.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
It will be interesting to see how PESH evolves over the next decade. Right now, it's the red-haired stepchild. Moving Clark over to PSHS reduces the amount of "old Plano" (if you can call 80s builds "old") feeding to PESH, and might allow the continued new construction of $500K+ houses in Parker, Murphy, and north Richardson to create a critical mass and swing the socio-economic pendulum PESH's way.

City-Data of 2016 just might be full of posts warning people away from PSHS.
When I meant Old Plano, I meant the downtown area and alot of the housing around Bowman and stuff.

PSHS has a good reputation and I doubt it will ever become a school to avoid in the near future at all.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
Big G I think you are absolutely right about it being the socio-economic levels rather than the ethnicities that are creating the warnings.

But I don't think there's going to be that critical mass you mentioned. Murphy has really only one neighborhood left in PISD to develop, Parker is not far from that - especially with their acre lot minimums. And the section around Otto MS is the only remaining area of any size left to develop for residential. Because I just don't think the area in Richardson near their newly approved DART multi use development is going to attract that many families. So the area is pretty well set IMO.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 AM

106 posts, read 219,851 times
This is such a misleading thread. PWSH consistently performs better than PESH. If given choice, most PESH parents would send their kids to PWSH.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:36 AM

212 posts, read 459,514 times
Why are you bumping a thread that is 3 years old?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:12 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,537 times
I found some good info in here. Not misleading at all.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
I thought it was interesting blast from the past. And Murphy is all but 3 lots from built out in PISD now. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas