Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Me three! East Plano is "bad" because it has Mexicans, AA's, and other diverse riff raff. WP ist die Ubermensch. (snotzis)
Plano West certainly has an all-rich and mostly lily-white image. Funny thing is, that's not true. Yes, Willow Bend, Lakeside, and Deerfield are zoned to PWSH. So are the tenements along McCallum Blvd. in Dallas, as well as the Dallas Housing Authority project along the George Bush and the sketchy apartments around Frankford and the DNT.

With the current zoning, there's a larger black percentage at Plano West than at Plano Senior. With the new zoning, probably 2/3rds or more of the PISD Asians will be attending West. So it's not just Biff and Buffy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:47 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
I have a Sotherby. Which was founded by Peter Shaddock who also owns Shaddock, but was run by his son Peter Jr. Sotherby is now defunct (the financial problems referred to earlier). But Peter Shaddock recently had his Phase 6 platting approved by the city so I feel better about his stability.

The quality of the homes are very good and we looked at a lot, especially in varying stages of construction.

Resale in RR does take a little longer, but the price point is higher than most of the surrounding area so there's not as many people who can afford these homes. But they definitely sell. We have a lot of transplants in the neighborhood, people who know they will have to move sooner rather than later due to jobs and I've had to say goodbye to several friends and their houses have sold in reasonable time. Those who have had trouble tend to be the people pricing their homes unrealistically.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 AM

198 posts, read 499,494 times
Quote:
Me three! East Plano is "bad" because it has Mexicans, AA's, and other diverse riff raff. WP ist die Ubermensch. (snotzis)

Grand is well documented to be Grand Theft Realto ...
Plano West is 37% non-white.

I bet you didn't know that Plano Senior High is 35% non-white, so Plano West actually has a higher percentage of minorities.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 PM

161 posts, read 385,434 times
Quote:
You're so off base it's not even funny.

West has always boasted a huge Asian population (in excess of 10%) and a small but visible black enrollment as well.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
difference in west/east plano high school

your income- your status- your preception of the "IT" school- school is what you make of it- not how elite you are. I am sure your child/children will do well at East Plano....every parent wants the best for their child....even if the child doesn't want what the parents want....high school is brutial no matter what you go. If you are at Plano West and don't have the expensive clothes, flashy car your a target...if you go to Plano East and you have the nice clothes and a good vehicle or the latest iPhone or ipad your spoiled.....it's everywhere people. Look at the curriculum- not the population and ethnic %....it's amazing what I see posted on here how this place is better then that place....yes everyone is welcome to their opinion but what might work for one doesn't work for another....

Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
Plano West is 37% non-white.

I bet you didn't know that Plano Senior High is 35% non-white, so Plano West actually has a higher percentage of minorities.
You're right - I didn't know that. That's encouraging to know. Tres cool.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
You're so off base it's not even funny.
Off base? Maybe. Not even funny - ahh, I thought it was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
West has always boasted a huge Asian population (in excess of 10%) and a small but visible black enrollment as well.
So I've heard, but if I'm so off base, how come you didn't answer the question, hmmm?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 PM

Here's a rough calculation of the ethnic breakdowns for the "new" PWSH, PSHS, and PESH, starting in 2014-2015. These are projected from the current 9-10 school enrollments (and don't include the effect of the SMS school choice and the IB path from Clark to PESH), so there might be some slight variations from the future reality, but they should be close.

PESH: 14% Black, 32% Hispanic, 38% White, 16% Asian; 37% Econ. Dis.
PSHS: 13% Black, 16% Hispanic, 56% White, 15% Asian; 23% Econ. Dis.
PWSH: 8% Black, 10% Hispanic, 58% White, 24% Asian; 12% Econ. Dis.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 PM

198 posts, read 499,494 times
Quote:
You're right - I didn't know that. That's encouraging to know. Tres cool.
It's good that you're not angry with me.

I just get tired of Plano West being painted as Highland Park North, when it's not.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
I just get tired of Plano West being painted as Highland Park North, when it's not.
Very true, as can be seen by the diversity stats I posted earlier. The fairly minor differences in Black, Asian, and Hispanic populations between PSHS and PWSH going forward can be mostly attributed to the dilution caused by adding the rest of Jasper (with its largely White & Asian population) to PWSH.

However, compared to PESH, it's a different story. It can't be denied that there is a huge disparity in Hispanic populations between PESH and PWSH. (And PESH and PSHS, for that matter.) Maybe I have rose-colored glasses on, but I don't think that's the real motivator in trashing PESH. (Otherwise, we'd be seeing posters plugging PSHS over PESH, which isn't happening.) IMO, the big factor between East and West isn't ethnicity, it's the rich/poor divide.

True, PWSH doesn't have the 0.0% economically disadvantaged percentage that HP does. Still, PESH has 3x the economically disadvantaged percentage as PWSH. And that's why people are steered towards PWSH and away from PESH. It's all about the Benjamins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas