Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times

Advertisements

DFW Mike's probably not coming back, but let's talk about this.

I know what Lakewoody's doing. He's emphasizing "See folks! White people are a part of our community too and they enjoy it!" to the predominately White posters at City-Data.

And as long as it's clear that other ethnic groups have significant numbers at Long, it's A-OK!

Now, when Preston Hollow Elementary released the brochure, it had hardly any Hispanic children in it. That was unacceptable. Denying the presence of the Hispanic population is unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Mike View Post
This reminds me of Lakewoody's technique. Majority of pics are of pretty white people that only represent 15% of school population!!

His camera lens must selectively cut my people out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I'm not usually at Long, I just pass along pictures that parents give me - here's one of the new Long Volleyball Bi-District Dallas City Champs:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/425/longvolleyballchamps.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM

J. L. Long winners from District Science Fair at UT Southwestern last Saturday:

Jett Jones- 1st place Animal Science and “Best of the Best” winner, Junior Division
Lawson Freeman- 2nd place Animal Science
Brooks Norton- 2nd place Behavioral and Social Science
Samantha Pfundheller-2nd place Microbiology
Bryan Arnold- 2nd place Physics
Courtney Davis and Micaela Gorham- 2nd place Life Science (Team)
Hadley Parum- 4th place Behavioral and Social Science
Steve Zarate- 4th place Microbiology
Charita Phinyawatana- Honorable Mention, Behavioral and Social Science
Sarah Romack and Ryan Preston- District Qualifiers

Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 13,366 times
As far as the neighborhood Lakewood (75214 zip) it's my favorite of all DFW. You have the mix of young couples and empty nesters families. People there tend to be very green and eco-friendly, actually the 75214 zip code is considered the green zip code in Dallas. Pricing there is lot lower than HP and you're centrally located in the Metroplex.

As far as schools, I'd agree at looking at the score cards.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM

If you are interested in Long, there is an Open House on February 9th at 7 pm at the school. They are also holding prospective parent happy hours - one was at Twisted Root recently. About 80% of the faculty has received International Baccalaureate training and they hope to be fully accredited by 2013. As an approved candidate school they are able to offer the IB MYP curriculum and have been doing so since the start of the school year.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM

"Go Long" Q&A Gathering Tonight

Did you know that approximately 80 - 85% of Lakewood 5th grade students go on to JL Long Middle School?

Did you know that 8 of the top 10 students of this year’s Junior Class at WWHS were Lakewood/JL Long/WWHS students?

... 3rd through 5th grade parents:

You are invited to come meet some of the Lakewood families who chose JL Long and find out why we did!
Parents & students of JL Long will be on-hand for you to ask questions and get to know these great kids and their families. Find out what their experience has been like at JL Long and why they like their middle school.

Thursday, February 23rd 7:00pm - 8:30pm
7022 Corneila
(home of Blis & Chris Freeman)

For more info, please contact: Aliisa DuBose dubose.a@sbcglobal.net or
Blis Freeman blisfreeman@aol.com

Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 PM

90 posts, read 182,626 times
I am a bit overwhelmed with these posts, so who is or is not right , I am not understanding the dynamics here.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemberly283 View Post
I am a bit overwhelmed with these posts, so who is or is not right , I am not understanding the dynamics here.
Ha, speaking as a moderator, we do not look at these posts as right or wrong... but only as the opinion of the member posting.

The difficult part - the judgement call - is still yours to make!

Per the Terms of Service (ToS):
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-23-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 PM

90 posts, read 182,626 times
Point taken!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
"Go Long" Q&A Gathering Tonight

Did you know that approximately 80 - 85% of Lakewood 5th grade students go on to JL Long Middle School?

Did you know that 8 of the top 10 students of this year’s Junior Class at WWHS were Lakewood/JL Long/WWHS students?

... 3rd through 5th grade parents:

You are invited to come meet some of the Lakewood families who chose JL Long and find out why we did!
Parents & students of JL Long will be on-hand for you to ask questions and get to know these great kids and their families. Find out what their experience has been like at JL Long and why they like their middle school.

Thursday, February 23rd 7:00pm - 8:30pm
7022 Corneila
(home of Blis & Chris Freeman)

For more info, please contact: Aliisa DuBose dubose.a@sbcglobal.net or
Blis Freeman blisfreeman@aol.com
Some friends of mine went tonight to kind of put in an appearance from Lipscomb. I hope it went well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas