Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:04 PM

247 posts, read 568,978 times

Advertisements

Lakewoods schools are ghetto and not rated so great - particularly the middle and high schools. When you tell people they are good, you are flat out lying to them. There is a reason people who can afford it send their kids to private school in that area. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM

256 posts, read 448,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Mandarin is a language that will be incredibly valuable to know.
I heard the same arguments for Japanese back in the late 80s/early 90s. I don't necessarily have a problem with Mandarin, but in terms of realistic practicality I know far more people who visit France and wish they had a working knowledge of French than people who visit their manufacturing plants in China. (And I AM very much in favor of Latin, but there is a shortage of teachers in that.)

There is also the question of how much realistically a middle school or high school student can learn of such a difficult language vs an easier language that would give greater fluency in the same time. It might be better for a student to become conversant or fluent in Spanish instead of a very superficial knowledge of Mandarin, which they could study with far greater intensity in college.

This just strikes me as a trendy PR choice that may not be the best use of resources. But if parents wanted it, that's fine. Did they survey Long parents and a demand for a Mandarin far outstripped other languages?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 PM

256 posts, read 448,883 times
Quote:
For someone who doesn't live in Dallas, and hates it, and considers the Long/Woodrow area the ghetto, you sure spend a hell of a lot of time talking to insiders about it, researching it, posting about it. What feeds your desire to be an anti DISD, and old east Dallas/ Lakewood troll?
He's in a foreclosure in Forney. He can't afford a backyard shed in Lakewood. Don't mind him, he's just jealous.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,438,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
but in terms of realistic practicality I know far more people who visit France and wish they had a working knowledge of French than people who visit their manufacturing plants in China. (And I AM very much in favor of Latin, but there is a shortage of teachers in that.)
True, but a trip is an occasional thing, french is useless in a business environment. When my father lived in England and had to do business in France, business was almost always conducted in either English or German. The stagnation of French due to the relation son adopting new words rendered it impractical for international business, even when everyone in the room spoke it.

I agree Mandarin is probably too difficult a language to gain command of in Middle school, but If a student takes it in Middle school and through High school that is a 6 year background in it. Pretty good foundation.
As for surveying parents, I don't know. Sometimes it is good for a school to be in advance of parental wishes -bad as that might sound. Parental wishes in some districts would lead to not offering biology, or to teaching Spanish.
I remember a news story a few years back about some small district in Oklahoma dropping Spanish as it encouraged illegal immigration.
Still I suppose time will tell if this works out or not.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,204,077 times
I'm not privy to all the curriculum decisions but if you have questions I suggest you email the principal:dpetters@dallasisd.org

This is what IBO has to say: IB programmes are taught in English, French and Spanish

also "The IB publishes MYP curriculum documents in English, French, Spanish and Chinese"

Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM
6am

276 posts, read 271,820 times
Quote:
couldn't agree more .
Two most populous countries can't be ignored. I believed English is a second official language taught in elementary school in India. In China, children are taught in Chinese and English is only a required subject for those attending colleges/university .

Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,640,528 times
Quote:
I agree with you, but my question remains if adding this program is the best use of resources at a school that already struggles with the academic ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
There is also the question of how much realistically a middle school or high school student can learn of such a difficult language vs an easier language that would give greater fluency in the same time. It might be better for a student to become conversant or fluent in Spanish instead of a very superficial knowledge of Mandarin, which they could study with far greater intensity in college.

This just strikes me as a trendy PR choice that may not be the best use of resources. But if parents wanted it, that's fine. Did they survey Long parents and a demand for a Mandarin far outstripped other languages?
This is my question/thought also. Three years in middle school won't give the students a strong enough foundation to absorb it, in my opinion. If programs are combined with another high school at that level, how does that work? Are students bussed from one school to another? Does that mean a floating teacher between campuses? I guess the article in the Advocate leaves out a lot of details that might make this make more sense to me.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:05 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,438,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I agree with you, but my question remains if adding this program is the best use of resources at a school that already struggles with the academic ratings.
Ah, that may be a source of our differing opinions, I am - shall we say amply - on record as finding those academic ratings meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I guess the article in the Advocate leaves out a lot of details that might make this make more sense to me.
Yes, It would be nice to have more details on how the program is implemented overall.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 PM

28 posts, read 28,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
DFW_Mike: Is it your business in life to try to run down the schools in Lakewood? Obviously you don't understand a school that is not completely homogeneous.
Hey Woody.

"Business in life" is a interesting reference from a guy with 13,800 posts!

Please help me with the "not completely homogeneous" part. Lakewood schools seem to run ~ 70+% hispanic (my people!). Diversity?

While I have your attention. A brief review of the snapshots on this thread reveals quite a few white folks, even though they only represent about 15% of the school population. Just wanted to make sure it was an oversight. Ahem.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:04 PM

446 posts, read 1,007,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
Lakewoods schools are ghetto and not rated so great - particularly the middle and high schools. When you tell people they are good, you are flat out lying to them. There is a reason people who can afford it send their kids to private school in that area. LOL
To all the regulars - you know who you are. Please stop the bleeding on this. If you ignore Mike and 90210 (who are probably the same person) she/he/they will eventually get bored and move on. Until then, they are having fun stirring the pot, and ruining an otherwise lovely board.

Stop defending what doesn't need defending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas