Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 AM

82 posts, read 333,027 times

Advertisements

Decided to take a ten day road trip from March 17-27th. Here is the itinerary that we have and if anyone can recommend anything else during this drive it would be awesome. I know there are some more "must-sees"....

Leave Dallas...

Stops to Destin:
-Caddo Lake
-Shreveport.....8 Air Force Museum
-Natchitoches...Plantations
-Baton Rouge...Old State Capitol, Rural Life Museum @ LSU.
-New Orleans...Garden District, French Quarter, St. Louis Cemetery.
-Mobile...........USS Alabama
-Pensacola......Historic Pensacola Village, Pensacola Beach, National Naval Aviation Museum.

-Destin (around area): Dolphin cruise, Gulf Islands National Seashore, Air Force Armament Museum, visit Seaside.

On the way back from Destin area we plan to go up through Vicksburg and Jackson, MS but not for sure what sounds good there for us to see. Suggestions?

On a note I've been to Destin/Pensacola area, but the hubby hasn't. We are into doing stuff that involves history and museums. I realize that there will probably be no swimming at the beach, so I'm wondering what else is recommended for the Panhandle area in FL? We decided to make Destin a turnaround point as we don't want to drive much further.

Also, if anyone can recommend another road trip idea with lots to see along the way (max 13 hour drive or so) I may have to reconsider. Santa Fe area would be a no go as we went this summer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,157 times
We recently drove to New Orleans from Dallas and have many many times. We like to get off the highway around Baton Rouge and drive the River Rd.
Here are a few of our favorite stops:

East Side of River
In Convent - St Michael's Catholic Church - nice cathedral with grotto in the back. Behind the church is an old old cemetary.
In Burnside - The Cabin Restaurant.

West Side of River
The are more plantation homes along this side to visit. The most spectacular is Evergreen, but you need advance reservations. Most others, you can just drive up to and grab a tour - Laura, Oak Alley.

Around Natchitoches - you'll have to research the Cane River Plantations. I haven't been to any.

On your return, you should visit the Battlefield in Vicksburg. It's a huge site.
In Gibsland, the Bonnie and Clyde Ambush Museum is worth a stop. The older man who runs it is the son of one of the officers who took them down.

Depending on when you arrive into New Orleans - you should go see Kermit Ruffins. He play Bullet's on Tues night and Vaughn's on Thurs nights.
Too bad you'll miss the St Pat's Parade on Constance - they throw cabbages and potatoes as well as beads.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
We did the drive a few times in one day.....long drive....we go straight thru Dallas to Gainsville, FL. we have stopped along the way in NO and stayed the night. Guess I need to rethink our trips to see the in laws and extend them for some of these sights. Thanks for the post.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Vicksburg has a wonderful National Military Park to tour, which tells the story of the Civil War siege & surrender of the city, which gave the North control of the Mississippi river. There's a restored Civil War ironclad, the USS Cairo, there as well as a museum, beautiful grounds to walk as drive, etc. Highly recommend it!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I second the recommendation for The Cabin Restauarant. It is com,posed of old slave quarters put together and their food is very good! I also agree about taking River Road from BR to NO, I-10 is boring along there.

Natchez is a beautiful town with many old mansions from the planter era. One I partiularly like is Longview, which was never finished due to the War and the owner's death. It is open for tours. (I think that's the name, I may have it slightly wrong)

Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I second the recommendation for The Cabin Restauarant. It is com,posed of old slave quarters put together and their food is very good! )
I was pleasantly pleased with the food at The Cabin. Sometimes you just never know, but it was really good. I like the etouffee. Plus the salvaged buildings and salvaged water towers that make up the bathrooms are interesting. It's a very nicely put together place.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
If you are going to Caddo Lake you might also want to make a stop in the quaint town of Jefferson, Texas.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:40 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,525,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygirlintx View Post
On a note I've been to Destin/Pensacola area, but the hubby hasn't. We are into doing stuff that involves history and museums. I realize that there will probably be no swimming at the beach, so I'm wondering what else is recommended for the Panhandle area in FL? We decided to make Destin a turnaround point as we don't want to drive much further.
You should check out Fort Pickens and/or Fort Barrancas while you are at Pensacola Beach and N.A.S.

If you are into canoeing/kayaking/tubing, you might also float down the Blackwater River or Coldwater Creek.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
just remember that time could be spring break for some college kids and the beach could be infested

have been to Vickburgs and Natchez--lots of nice b/b to stay in

we drove that way for vacation more than 10 yrs ago and drove it again when we helped our daughter move to Sarasota FL area when she married
just throught the truck traffic was horrible since that is main E/W road--and the road surface was the kind that is ribbed and vibrates--hated the tire noise
hope that is better--or would suggest taking secondary road if you like that sort of thing--

We spent nice vacation at the Marriott resort at Fairhope Al years ago--but think it saw a lot of damage several years ago from the hurricane before Katrina--lost so many of their beautiful trees--that is across the bay from Biloxi

Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 8,951 times
Since you're interested in plantation homes, I would suggest Houmas House Plantation and Gardens. It's between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, has 2 amazing restaurants, 12 acres of gardens, and the best gift shop! The tour is especially great because you have access to every room and are allowed to feel and touch things in the house. Photos are allowed, and you can roam the grounds at your leisure. Check it out: [URL="http://www.HoumasHouse.com"]www.HoumasHouse.com[/URL]
Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas