Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,252 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm moving in to Dallas with a new job, and this is my first time in the US. That explains a lot, right ?

I have no clue what the cost of living there is, what the living conditions are, where to look for accommodation, getting drivers license etc. So I actually have a bunch of questions to ask, hope you don't mind. Let me try and list them.

1 - My company is near the Addison area (quorum dr), and I'm looking for a safe and nice place to live, preferably one that will take care of my commuting (since I assume it will take a while to get a drivers license). Also, what are the best places to look for accommodation ?

2 - Is biking safe around here ? I prefer biking to work but not sure if there's anything by law I got to know before taking on the roads.

3 - What are the things apart from accommodation/driving license that a first timer got to get ?

Sorry if I sound vague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 06:12 AM

12 posts, read 28,892 times
1. Addison circle area is right by where you will be working. There are plenty of options from small apartments to large townhomes there (price range would probably be around 1200-2000 a month depending on size, features, etc... There are cheaper options nearby that aren't in Addison circle area). It is all pretty new and doesn't have much of a charming neighborhood feel to it though, so it may not be the type of area you want to live in. It is very nice though and you get a lot for your money. Other areas that are more charming/interesting would be down around uptown/downtown/lakewood etc... Addison is a good area though in that it has a lot of bars, restaurants and such in the area. This would be best from a commute perspective. You will eventually need a car though. As far as your driver's license, it may be a lot quicker than you think. I have lived in France (not sure if you're even coming from Europe) and every govt. related thing took much longer than it does in the US.

2. Biking is safe, but you need to be on the lookout. Drivers aren't as aware of cyclists in Dallas (and the US in general) than in other areas of the world with more bikers. One big thing with commuting in anything other than a car is the heat in Dallas. It is pretty miserable getting to work all sweaty from biking two miles in 95 degree heat.

3. It would be good to know where you are coming from to better answer this. One big thing will be health insurance if your employer is not providing it.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 AM

Thanks Sanchez,

I'm originally from India, but been living in Dubai, so the heat wouldn't surprise me - I guess. I have a drivers license in UAE, not sure if that qualifies me for a driving test, though the driving rules etc are the same. Thanks for the advice, I think I should look for apartments closer to Addison area so work is near.

No the employer haven't mentioned anything about the health insurance yet. What should I be clarifying reg: this ?

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 AM

12 posts, read 28,892 times
If you are used to Dubai, TX heat will be fine. The one difference is humidity is a lot higher in TX than the UAE, so you are more likely to feel the heat.

If you like how everything is new and clean in Dubai (at least in the city center), then you'll like Addison Circle. Quorum Drive goes right down the middle of it and you'll likely be able to walk. The farthest away you could be would probably be a mile. Other areas of Addison will be close too and will have plenty of other options for housing of all price ranges.

You should just ask if they provide health insurance, if so how much does it cost you, what does it cover, etc... Their HR people should be able to tell you everythign you need to know. Also ask what other benefit they provide or are available. If you plan to stay in the US, things like 401k retirement plans, disability insurance, life insurance etc... matter a lot.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the information Sanchez. Appreciate it.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Im searching for studio / 1 br apartments near addison area (easy to commute), do you have any recommendations as to which place to go for and what to look out ?
I dont need the city, id rather like something quite and peaceful, but safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: