Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 10:53 AM

7 posts, read 10,242 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving my family (3 kids, 1 teenager and 2 toddlers) to the Dallas area in the beginning of 2011. We currently live in Pennsylvania and need help finding a town that will fit what we are looking for. We need a town that is family friendly, has a good school system, is safe, and has lots of things for the children to do. My husband will be trying to work in the banking or financial real estate field because he has 5+ years experience. I would love to eventually open a bakery because I currently have a bakery in my home. I would love to have a "main street" feel in the town or in a town nearby that would be a good place for a bakery. We also would like at least a 1/4 acre yard and would love to stay around $120,000-$150,000 for a house. Also, trying to say this as 'PC' as possible, I don't want my children to be in the minority cultuarlly (we are white). We are open to diversity just don't want to be the minority.

So far we have researched Mansfield and Forney and seemed to think they might meet this criteria. thanks a ton for all your help! It is soooo hard to find a town from the other side of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 AM

871 posts, read 2,706,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEKN View Post
I am planning on moving my family (3 kids, 1 teenager and 2 toddlers) to the Dallas area in the beginning of 2011. We currently live in Pennsylvania and need help finding a town that will fit what we are looking for. We need a town that is family friendly, has a good school system, is safe, and has lots of things for the children to do. My husband will be trying to work in the banking or financial real estate field because he has 5+ years experience. I would love to eventually open a bakery because I currently have a bakery in my home. I would love to have a "main street" feel in the town or in a town nearby that would be a good place for a bakery. We also would like at least a 1/4 acre yard and would love to stay around $120,000-$150,000 for a house. Also, trying to say this as 'PC' as possible, I don't want my children to be in the minority cultuarlly (we are white). We are open to diversity just don't want to be the minority.

So far we have researched Mansfield and Forney and seemed to think they might meet this criteria. thanks a ton for all your help! It is soooo hard to find a town from the other side of the country.
Have you considered Wylie? Wylie a classic main street (Ballard st, and we could use a nice bakery on that street), homes with .25 acres in the $120-150k range, safe, family friendly, great schools, plenty of stuff for kids.

And yes, Wylie is still a white majority. About 90% white. I am personally one of the 0.60% Asians there.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,810,679 times
You might research the Midlothian and Terrell, maybe Denton, Garland and Sherman, too. You can use this website to research schools. Texas Accountability Rating System

Old 06-19-2010, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 10,242 times
Thanks for the help. we are definently going to come check out Wylie. Some of the other ones were already on our list too so we will also be checking those out. feel free to add more because we want to check out as many places as we can when we come out since we will only be able to come a few times before we actually move.
Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2010, 09:37 PM

871 posts, read 2,706,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
You might research the Midlothian and Terrell, maybe Denton, Garland and Sherman, too. You can use this website to research schools. Texas Accountability Rating System
DEKN:

Midlothian, Terrell, Denton and Sherman are good ones to look at too in addition to Wylie (although Sherman is pretty far from Dallas).

As to Garland though, I think Garland is the type of place you don't want considering your criteria includes a place where white people are not the minority.

Garland, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 215,768 people, 73,241 households, and 55,443 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,778.1 people per square mile (1,458.7/km²). There were 75,300 housing units at an average density of 1,318.5/sq mi (509.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 26.27% White, 32.87% African American, 0.60% Native American, 7.35% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 11.99% from other races, and 2.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 45.58% of the population.
Whites are a minority in Garland. I suspect the person who suggested Garland was referring to the Firewheel area of North Garland (Which is more white BUT out of your price range!), but just a heads up since you said it was important.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:53 PM

3,847 posts, read 8,823,180 times
Not all of North Garland is in Firewheel and would actually meet the level of diversity that the OP is looking for. And there are homes in that price range.

However, North Garland doesn't meet that small town feel that she's looking for. Although I think a good bakery would be very welcome. Most folks hit Bakery by George in south Garland or Casa Linda bakery waaaay down Garland Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas