Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,806,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
That slipping could be just an adjustment issue but it cold just as easily be a stretched chain, worn out chain rings, etc. that would be a PITA for the OP since he doesn't know how to work on bikes.
That's a good point. Any bike he gets will probably need a chain and a bike shop would probably install one fairly cheaply, but a chain, cassette, derailleur adjustment, etc might start to get expensive, and the task of doing it oneself without experience becomes more daunting. For every used bike I've ever purchased, I just assumed they'd need at least a new chain and tires. Most of them also needed new cables and bar tape, but they were all pretty old and neglected, too.

Quote:
The thing that sticks out at me from the pics is the rear derailleur hanger. It's in an awkard forward looking position. Maybe some others can chime in with their opinion on that.
I think the rear derailleur is at the weird angle because the seller has it in the largest rear cog and the largest front chainring, and the chain just isn't long enough to do that comfortably with a road derailleur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,168,574 times
Years ago I bought a used bike at a bike store for $200 or $250. It was a Gios. Italian I guess. Fabulous bike, weighed nothing. I rode it thousands of miles for years. Later, it was stolen. The insurance company told me to find a picture of it and get it appraised. It appraised for $3800. The insurance company paid without question.

Yes. You can get a great deal on a used bike.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,585,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Years ago I bought a used bike at a bike store for $200 or $250. It was a Gios. Italian I guess. Fabulous bike, weighed nothing. I rode it thousands of miles for years. Later, it was stolen. The insurance company told me to find a picture of it and get it appraised. It appraised for $3800. The insurance company paid without question.

Yes. You can get a great deal on a used bike.

I didn't know you could get insurance on a bicycle. Wow so you made a $3600 profit.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Looks like it's probably a good, even not knowing the exact model. But then again, I'm a fan of yellow. You'll want new bar tape and I would get matching pedals.

The slipping gears could be a number of things. If it were me, I would in the very least check it out and see if either of the chainrings are worn or if the cassette needs to be replaced. Really, you can't expect to get a perfect bike for a couple hundred but this may be a good one for the price.

The thing that sticks out at me from the pics is the rear derailleur hanger. It's in an awkard forward looking position. Maybe some others can chime in with their opinion on that.

If you are not comfortable assessing the slipping, maybe the seller would let you take it to a shop for an evaluation if you leave something with him.

Best of luck
I didn't notice that derailleur angle.It does seem a bit awkward.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,876,540 times
^^The chain is too short for that gearing. The slipping sounds like an old stretched out chain, and given that it doesn't fit the gearing on this bike that's not surprising.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 PM

The person selling the Trek finally added pictures.

TREK 1000 ROAD BIKE

Old 06-19-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
^^The chain is too short for that gearing. The slipping sounds like an old stretched out chain, and given that it doesn't fit the gearing on this bike that's not surprising.

Why do you say that is not surprising for this bike?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:29 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,806,401 times
If the chain's too short it could be contributing to that one gear skipping. But you really shouldn't "crosschain" like that anyway. If you're in one of the larger cogs in the back, just shift to the smaller chainring and vice versa. Although even taking that into account, I'd say the chain is probably a bit short. That Trek looks like it might be in better condition, but the pictures are so small it's hard to tell. It also looks like it may be a tad small, but it's harder for me to visually judge the size with newer bikes because they have fatter frame tubes.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:23 AM

6,492 posts, read 7,859,936 times
Good eye Lamplight. I think he's right about the hanger looking off because of the crosschaining. If the chain really is too short and if the seller rode the bike for a good number of miles with no attention to crosschaining (it's not a big deal to crosschain here and there but you don't want to do it regularly) then it's very possible the cassette is worn - those are a lot of ifs though and $150 still seems like it may be fair but hard to say without inspecting it. You need to take a look at the cassette and see if the chain sits well on the teeth. Replacing a worn or too short chain is not a huge expense but like Lamplight said, the cassette may be a deal breaker for you. I'm a Specialized fan and like I said, I like the yellow so if it were me looking for a used ride I'd give that bike more consideration than other people may.

Changing a cassette is easy for a shop mechanic but not easy for someone that hasn't done it a few times - unlike bunches of other repairs that you can make with regular tools, you'll need a special tool for a cassette (chain whip). You'll likely need a special tool to replace the chain (chain breaker) too and will need to learn how to thread it around the rear derailleur pulley but you can see how to do those things on bike tutor, you tube, park tools, etc.

But seriously, you don't want to start off spending tons of time tinkering with your new ride right? So I would either take it to a shop or pass. Still, the expectation of a used bike needing something (bar tape, brake pads, chain, cables, derailleur adjustment, etc.), especially in teh $200 range, should be there. Shoot, I've known people who go out and drop a few grand on a nice mid end road bike and immediately buy new wheels for it - you know, because those thousand dollar deep dish 1lb lighter wheels will make their belly look smaller.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,876,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Why do you say that is not surprising for this bike?
hehe Sorry, nothing bad just by the way the chain is slipping and the the pic with the stretched out chain.

Btw, the Trek looks to be in the best shape by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling