Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,773,375 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the comments, guys! It was a great day for a ride, even if I overexerted myself.

Dorian, I think either of those bikes would probably be good ones. They both look like they may be a bit large, but maybe not so much that you couldn't make them work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,580,393 times
Nobody has bid on the Raleigh so far, but it still has a few hours to go. I also came upon a Cannondale 3.0 this morning on CL that looks like it has never been ridden. They are asking $190, but that is all aluminum isn't it? I assume it will go fast. It is also on the big side, even though it doesn't look like it.

Cannondale 3.0 Mens road bike /Lg. frame

Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 AM

That Cannondale looks like it would be an excellent deal! It'll definitely be fast, though the ride may be fairly harsh compared to an old steel bike. It looks like it has a steel for, though, with a decent amount of rake, so it probably wouldn't ride as harshly as a lot of aluminum bikes. If you go look at it, just make sure you check for dents in the tubes or cracks at all the welds. Especially cracks.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
That Cannondale looks like it would be an excellent deal! It'll definitely be fast, though the ride may be fairly harsh compared to an old steel bike. It looks like it has a steel for, though, with a decent amount of rake, so it probably wouldn't ride as harshly as a lot of aluminum bikes. If you go look at it, just make sure you check for dents in the tubes or cracks at all the welds. Especially cracks.
I will make sure to check the welds if I get the chance to buy it. I called the seller and they said I was the second caller by a matter of seconds. I should have called as soon as I saw it, but I thought it would be rude to call someone that early on a Sunday. He said he will call me if the other person doesn't show or doesn't buy it. I have also found a Nishiki Prestige listing. I remember reading somewhere that they made good bicycles. And there is another Elite that popped up in the area, but it doesn't appear to be in as good condition as the one from before. It also looks tall from the pictures.

Nisiki Prestige

Centurion-Elite RS Vintage in very good condition

Old 07-07-2013, 06:29 PM

I owned a Nishiki Prestige similar to that one, except that one has a nicer rear derailleur. For $90 that thing's a STEAL unless it has some really major problem the seller isn't mentioning. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Edit: For what it's worth, I paid over $200 for my Prestige and it didn't look as nice as that one. Plus that one has a little nicer rear derailleur.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I owned a Nishiki Prestige similar to that one, except that one has a nicer rear derailleur. For $90 that thing's a STEAL unless it has some really major problem the seller isn't mentioning. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Edit: For what it's worth, I paid over $200 for my Prestige and it didn't look as nice as that one. Plus that one has a little nicer rear derailleur.

In your opinion would that be the best deal out of all of them? It appears to be in pretty good shape. The Centurion looks like it has some rust spots. I really like the look of the Cannondale, but for the price I could buy the Prestige and the Elite.

Edit the Prestige has been sold unfortunately.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:40 PM

I'm not surprised it sold quickly; that was a heck of a deal. Also of note is the picture of the chainrings, where you can clearly see the smaller chainring is oval, which was discussed earlier in this very thread, and the bike I mentioned owning with such a chainring was my Prestige.

The Cannondale ad has been deleted, so it may have sold now, too. The Elite is probably a fine bike. It's hard to tell for sure, but I think I see "105" on the downtube shifters. If the derailleurs are also Shimano 105 then those are good, solid parts, just a step below Shimano 600. It does look a tad large, but it might still work.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM

I don't know how close this is to where you live, and this is more of a sport-tourer than all-out road bike, but this should be a sweet riding bike:
Beautiful Vintage UNIVEGA GRAN TURISMO Touring Road Bike Blue 23" (58.

However, if you're looking for all-out speed I doubt this would be a good choice. My Univega is of a similar era but it's a model or two higher, and while it's more than fast enough for my uses, and a lot more comfy than a true road bike, I still wouldn't call it "fast"

Here's another good one. A bit expensive but it looks like it doesn't need any work to start riding.
Miyata 58cm road bike touring rear rack

Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,845,699 times
That is the Cannondale model that earned Cannondal the nickname, "Crack&fail." It was the bottom bracket.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I don't know how close this is to where you live, and this is more of a sport-tourer than all-out road bike, but this should be a sweet riding bike:
Beautiful Vintage UNIVEGA GRAN TURISMO Touring Road Bike Blue 23" (58.

However, if you're looking for all-out speed I doubt this would be a good choice. My Univega is of a similar era but it's a model or two higher, and while it's more than fast enough for my uses, and a lot more comfy than a true road bike, I still wouldn't call it "fast"

Here's another good one. A bit expensive but it looks like it doesn't need any work to start riding.
Miyata 58cm road bike touring rear rack

I often check down in central Jersey and their bikes tend to be higher priced. I think it is because of my school (Rutgers) and several others that are down there. The universities seem to drive the prices up. The prices of the bikes in NYC seem to be high as well. I missed that Nishiki because I took a break from looking on CL for a few hours and it figures that popped up during that time period. I am suppose to email the Raleigh seller in the morning, that one appears to still be available. I read somewhere that it may be better to own a bike that is slightly smaller than slightly larger, is that true? If so, that Trek is still available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling