Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,123 times

Advertisements

I am currently getting up in my age and running is awful on my knees. I used to bike a lot as a young lad but havent had much interest in my adult life. Could someone recommend a good quality /lower price bike for a beginner?

Regards
Huffbufer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 03:18 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,839,253 times
What do you mean by "low?" I found a beautiful complete Serotta Concourse (Full Ti) not a scratch on it for $1800, hanging in the consignment area of m LBS. That was the best deal of all the bikes hanging there, considering that was priced at about 1/3 original price, and undoubtedly the best riding bike. The frame alone without the fork would have been ~$3000. I would have gotten it and added it to my stable but it was a 58cm and I ride a 62cm.

Last edited by PanTerra; 12-09-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,600,037 times
Depends on how much you want to spend. Get yourself a good bike, not a cheap on.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,238,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
What do you mean by "low?" I found a beautiful complete Serotta Concourse (Full Ti) not a scratch on it for $1800, hanging in the consignment area of m LBS. That was the best deal of all the bikes hanging there, considering that was priced at about 1/3 original price, and undoubtedly the best riding bike. The frame alone without the fork would have been ~$3000. I would have gotten it and added it to my stable but it was a 58cm and I ride a 62cm.
daroool darool

Old 12-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
daroool darool
No kidding. I saw it hanging there and really wanted it. I would have sold my Serotta CSi to pay for it, but it looked really small under me. But I had a friend that it would fit, and he bought it.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:23 PM

547 posts, read 928,699 times
The best bike is the one that makes you want to ride. It matches the kind of riding you want to do, and it fits. A local bike shop is a good place to start. There is a huge difference between a quality bike that fits, one that's meant to be ridden,maintained and repaired, and a discount store bike. I don't know how they came up with it but there was a study somewhere where they figured out that most discount store bikes are ridden less than 100 miles in their lifetime.
The cheapest bike can end up costing more than something nice.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
I don't know how they came up with it but there was a study somewhere where they figured out that most discount store bikes are ridden less than 100 miles in their lifetime.
The cheapest bike can end up costing more than something nice.
Those become very expensive garden hose racks.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Depends on how much you want to spend. Get yourself a good bike, not a cheap on.
Well doesn't that depend on what you are going to use it for?

I have a $3,000(1996 dollars) classic Italian road bike that I ride for fun and exercise. I've got a $400.00(1994 dollars) Trek mountain bike that sits outside that I ride to the store, the train or to just run errands around the neighborhood. You could pick up either of those bikes today for $1,500-2,000 and $150.00 respectively. Once you've decided what the bike is primarily for, then the next issue that you will need to figure out is which bike fits you the best. Bike fit is just as important as what the bike is for and price.

Now we can all sit here and write about the which brand and what components at what price point would be the best bike to buy, but none of us are going to ride or pay for it, so the best way to establish any of the above is go to a good reputable bike shop, layout what you want, how much you want to pay and then see what they have to offer and that feels most comfortable to you when you ride it. If you can't ride it, go to another store.

By the way, there is no such thing as a "beginner bicycle. They all have two wheels, gears and brakes so unless you are going to buy a single speed with coaster brakes like you had when you were a kid (and there are fine bikes like that to buy) the only issue is going to be price.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:52 AM

175 posts, read 595,979 times
Huff,

With limited information, I'll take an initial stab at it. You indicate Road Bike, which can mean different things to different people. There are all kinds of subsets of road bikes, but for beginners, typically you're talking "Comfort/Recreation/Hybrid" or "Sport/Adventure/Fitness". Comfort is more upright with higher handlebars, hybrid tires and a soft saddle. Sport is an entry level road style bike, designed for greater speed and effeciency. Comfort is a better choice for beginners wanting to ride city paths for 1-2 hours max. Sport is more of a traditional road bike, meant for longer rides, hills, etc.

Giant, Trek, Specialized all make good bikes in these categories and you often get more for your money since they can buy components in bulk and pass on the savings in the form of upgrades. I've owned mountain bikes from all 3 companies and they have all been good quality. In my opinion, Giant seems to have a slight edge in bang for your buck on the lower end bikes.

For a comfort bike, I recommend a Giant Cypress, Trek Verve or Shift, or Specialized Crossroads/Expedition ($400-$1,000 depending on the model).

If you're looking for a more dedicated road style bike, Giant makes the Escape, Trek the FX, and Specialized the Crosstrail/Ariel ($500- $1,000).

One way to get a great deal is to look at Craigslist for gently used bikes. People buy them with the greatest intentions (at full store price) but just never get around to riding them. Most important aspect when buying a bike new or used, is that it must fit you.

If you want more detailed assistance, it would help to know your:
* Intended use (where you will ride, how long/miles, on what surface, types of trails - flat, hills, mountains etc.)
* Fitness goals (do you plan to join group rides, just ride for fun/exercise, race eventually, etc.)
* Your exact price range/budget.

Good luck.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,029,607 times
Buy last years models from a reputable bike dealer. You can get decent, safe and ridable Bikes for about $500. They are a bit on the heavy side (not too much and use lower grade components but ride just fine)

I have a ten year old Specialized Allez Road Bike (one of their lower priced models) and It has served me very well. The only things I ever replaced are tires, tubes, seats and crankset. Still riding about 20-35 miles every other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling