Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 AM

103 posts, read 305,073 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I've been wanting to get into cycling or mountain biking for some time now but I have no idea where to start. I'm a beginner in the sense that I've only ever ridden a bike for recreation and mostly when I was younger. I do not own a bike now. I am just looking for advice or website links that will help me get started. I would like to do it mostly for the work out, but we also have beautiful scenery here in Utah that I'm sure I could enjoy riding through. I'm not really going to be a commuter (not yet at least) and will probably just ride it around the town I live in for now. That's why I'm leaning towards a mountain bike at this moment. I'm not sure what the best choice is for me right now. Road bike or mountain bike? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good beginner bicycle in either category?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,627,093 times
Road bike or mountain bike will depend on your needs. If you are going to take trails the mountain bike may ride easier. I sold my two mountain bikes and bought a beach cruizer. There are so many used bikes out there in pristine condition it makes no sense to buy new. Look at your local craigslist and look thru the ads till something strikes your interest and budget.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,047,601 times
Check out this site.

No affiliation, just a website I visit everyday for all bicycle talk, all the time.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,153,304 times
I bought a Trek mountain bike over 15 yrs ago. It still works well and have no issues. Now that I am older, I find the mountain bike style to be a bit hard on the wrists. You tend to lean your weight on them and mountain bikes ride a bit rough on pavement. You can get different handle bars I just never got around to changing them out. I might go for a different style altogether now because I am mostly a using paved trails. So when selecting your bike, I would really think about whether or not you will be mostly riding on dirt trails or paved. It makes a difference in comfort level.

I suggest going to a bike shop. A real bike shop not a big box store. You want to talk to people that really know bicycles. They can steer you towards a bike that will fit your needs. The store by me sell Kona bikes. They had a vast array of different kinds. I kind of liked the africabike. Still had the knobby style tires but good for paved roads well.

Here is the Kona website to look over. Biking is a lot of fun especially when the scenery is amazing.

konaworld
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling