Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,580,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
That is the Cannondale model that earned Cannondal the nickname, "Crack&fail." It was the bottom bracket.
Oh, well that is not good. I thought they were one of the top makers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,776,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I read somewhere that it may be better to own a bike that is slightly smaller than slightly larger, is that true? If so, that Trek is still available.
For me I'd say they're both about the same on the nuisance scale. I can deal with either as long as the amount really is only slight. Slightly large and the top tube is too long for me, so I either have to get a ridiculously short stem or just lean forward more than is comfortable. But if the frame's too small often times I can't raise the stem high enough to be comfortable, so I'd have to replace it with one with a longer quill. And on smaller frames my feet will hit the front tire when turning at lower speed, which is really annoying. I think if I had to choose I'd rather ride a slightly large frame, but that's just me. It seems a lot of bike shops tend to size modern road bikes on the small side, so maybe that's better for most people.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,848,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Oh, well that is not good. I thought they were one of the top makers.
They are much better, now. But that was a very early model. They were one of the first that I saw with the oversized aluminum tubing. Very light at ~3.0 lbs (frame only), hence the name. It was a very jarring ride. All energy from the road was transmitted straight to feet, butt, hands, and rang through the rest of your body.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,869,911 times
They were also known as cannonwhales for the tubes. The 2.8 was even a worse ride. I'd stay away from those if you like having feeling in your extremities.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 PM

What about an Iron Horse Triumph?

Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM

The guy with the Technium Pre contacted me today and said he will take $100. He said the only problem with it is that the rear tire needs replaced because it will not hold air more than a day. The seller that has the Trek emailed me as well me as well and still, yes still has the bike and is willing to take $140. The Trek owner has to be the hardest person to keep in touch with, that is probably why that bike is still available.

raleigh technium

Trek Road Bike T1000

Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Finally got a bike today!!!!!! I bought the Raleigh Pre. It looks almost like it is new, I just need to get a tire and re-wrap the handlebars. I don't know what size tires it has on it tho.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Now I can stop driving you all crazy, lol.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,776,603 times
Nice! The tires should be 700c, but as far as width goes that'll be up to you if you replace them. I think most people usually use 23-25mm, but I personally prefer the widest tires that'll fit. Being a late 80s bike it probably won't have much room for anything wider than 28mm, anyway. And I pretty much always recommend Panaracer Pasela tires if the budget allows, but others may have had great luck with some other brands.

And don't worry about driving us crazy. I've enjoyed checking this thread every day, but then I may have gone crazy a long time ago.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,848,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Nice! The tires should be 700c, but as far as width goes that'll be up to you if you replace them. I think most people usually use 23-25mm, but I personally prefer the widest tires that'll fit. Being a late 80s bike it probably won't have much room for anything wider than 28mm, anyway. And I pretty much always recommend Panaracer Pasela tires if the budget allows, but others may have had great luck with some other brands.

And don't worry about driving us crazy. I've enjoyed checking this thread every day, but then I may have gone crazy a long time ago.
25 will be fine, that will reduce the road chatter that you would feel with a 23. I put 28mm on my tandem, but then, how big a boy are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling