Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 09:15 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times

Advertisements

I could never see leaving one of my kids alone.
Heck any kid for that fact.

So what was she thinking?

Was she impaired by drugs or alcohol?
Did she have a substance abuse issue, I mean if she did she would be capable of deadly wrong decisions even while being sober.
Stupid doesn’t just go away once you sober up.
Was she tested for drugs and alcohol?
Does she have a criminal or a mental issue history?

Nobody in their right mind would do something like this.
Nobody!

Poor child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

Did she have a substance abuse issue, I mean if she did she would be capable of deadly wrong decisions even while being sober.

Nobody!

Poor child.
She was supposed to be in court when they were hiking. See the post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The plot thickens. Apparently she was due in court to face criminal charges the moment she stepped on the trail with her son.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old 04-02-2020, 10:12 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
She was supposed to be in court when they were hiking. See the post below
After posting that screen shot, I researched what a "calendar call" is, and found it's a meeting in court of the attorneys and prosecutors to agree on a jury trial date, for an upcoming jury trial she's facing. Apparently it's not required that she be there - this is for the defense and prosecution to formally schedule the event.

The outcome of that calendar call event, was that it became rescheduled that afternoon, so maybe they did expect her to attend.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
I looked at that link.
I am not on Facebook and didn’t see what her charges were.
Do you have any information on her past?
Thanks.
Andy.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:18 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Just a very unfortunate chain of events. First this was a very remote trail on a very remote island in Southeast Alaska. The conditions were rough, but apparently the boy and his mother were used to it, and had hiked there before. The 5 mile trail is mostly unimproved and they were lost about 1,000 feet off the end of the trail, when the mother decided to leave the boy to go get help. While she was rushing back down the trail, she fell and broke her leg about half way back to the trailhead. It seems that her plan was the best option, but after she was injured, the only thing she could do was wait for help herself.
One article said it was an 8.5 mile trail. How do you know they were used to the trail, and had hiked it before? You sound like you might be a local resident with some inside information, or read an article we missed.

I'm not sure that Ketchikan's location on "a very remote island" is relevant, considering they were from there, and the hiking trail was described as a popular one outside of town. Ketchikan's a tourist destination; I don't know that I'd call the island "very remote", or what difference that makes to the story, but...whatever. It's a confusing story, because of the conflicting details from different sources.

However, the article Clara added, about the mom being scheduled for a jury trial, definitely casts a new light on the story.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:23 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

Nobody!

Poor child.
Didn't one of the earlier articles say, that they had spent the night (actually, two nights, I thought) on, or in the vicinity of, the trail, due to being "disoriented", and not knowing which direction to go in, to get back to the car? If that's true, maybe she was thinking, she couldn't spend yet another night out there? Or maybe hunger pushed her to find a way out?

If it was a popular trail, as it was reported to be, why weren't there any hikers on it, in the (apparently) day and 1/2, or two days +, that they were on the trail? Too early in the spring, maybe, for most people to even consider getting out there, due to snow, muddy conditions, etc.?

There are so many puzzles, here...

Old 04-02-2020, 12:41 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Just a very unfortunate chain of events. First this was a very remote trail on a very remote island in Southeast Alaska. The conditions were rough, but apparently the boy and his mother were used to it, and had hiked there before. The 5 mile trail is mostly unimproved and they were lost about 1,000 feet off the end of the trail, when the mother decided to leave the boy to go get help. While she was rushing back down the trail, she fell and broke her leg about half way back to the trailhead. It seems that her plan was the best option, but after she was injured, the only thing she could do was wait for help herself.

You. Don't. Leave. Five-year olds. In the woods. Alone.

There is no such "plan" and can't be, sorry.

Last edited by erasure; 04-02-2020 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-02-2020, 01:29 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One article said it was an 8.5 mile trail. How do you know they were used to the trail, and had hiked it before? You sound like you might be a local resident with some inside information, or read an article we missed.

I'm not sure that Ketchikan's location on "a very remote island" is relevant, considering they were from there, and the hiking trail was described as a popular one outside of town. Ketchikan's a tourist destination; I don't know that I'd call the island "very remote", or what difference that makes to the story, but...whatever. It's a confusing story, because of the conflicting details from different sources.

However, the article Clara added, about the mom being scheduled for a jury trial, definitely casts a new light on the story.
By AK standards Ketchikan isn't remote and neither is this trail. It is close to town and sees a lot of traffic. However, like so many trails the part closest to the parking lot is more "improved" (boardwalks over swampy sections, signage, brush thinning or hazardous tree limbs trimmed, trail surface built up with percolating fill, ponding leveled, etc) than sections farther away. I don't know the statistical percentages, but most people who only go for a casual stroll don't go all that far. As soon as they hit the rougher sections they turn around. Remember, if you stroll for a mile, you actually cover twice that distance by the time you reach your car again. The trail condition at this time of year can vary quite a bit. Sections protected by denser forest tend to hold less snow than open sections. You could easily go from almost no snow at all to drifts several feet deep within a few yards. Then there's the inevitable windthrown trees and limbs from winter storms. Many trails in SE AK, even those well used need a lot of work to clear them every spring. Too early for that most likely.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-02-2020 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-02-2020, 01:43 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
If her idea was to have a great excuse for not showing up at court ("We were lost in the woods!"), it sure backfired.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:42 PM

11,443 posts, read 625,479 times
Very sad yes this is!!!

Who would think a 5yo would be ok alone in those woods??

Poor boy..... Very bad judgement/caring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events