Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 02:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Most likely at this time of year the active bears are sticking close to the shoreline. For one thing, its easier access. That's also where the food is right now depending on the tide stage. Mussels, clams, barnacles, anemones, starfish, urchins, occasional larger fish carcass, not to mention earlier availability of newly-sprouted forage plants, etc. If I was a hungry bear and had to choose between a snow-choked blowdown-littered stream drainage with no active salmon run (most of those occur mid to late summer/fall), berries, or fresh greenup and the beach, I know where I'd go.

Don't forget that bear sows have new cubs of the year with them in spring. Very dependent. Black bears don't tend to be defensive of cubs. They usually send the cubs up a tree and disappear if they feel threatened. Grizzly/brown bears are a different matter. You certainly want to avoid them completely and that includes staying away from a food source they happen to be using.
I think just as concerning how wildlife react to the child, is how the child reacts to the wildlife.

5 years old, alone in the woods at nightfall? I'd guess pretty jumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 02:16 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I think just as concerning how wildlife react to the child, is how the child reacts to the wildlife.

5 years old, alone in the woods at nightfall? I'd guess pretty jumpy.
More likely under those circumstances so hypothermic and exhausted that he would curl up in a ball and not notice at all. Poor little guy.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
My concern this time of year would be mothers still denned with new cubs. Most of them aren't active yet, and they do go back in that type of terrain to den. There could be some emerging/denned males as well. But to be honest, it wouldn't be my main concern with that hike this time of year. It makes no sense that she'd choose that area instead of just going up Deer Mountain.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
But to be honest, it wouldn't be my main concern with that hike this time of year. It makes no sense that she'd choose that area instead of just going up Deer Mountain.
I know! Deer Mountain is an obvious choice, but maybe she assumed it would be crowded...you know, with all those smarter hikers!

Old 04-06-2020, 03:03 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,699 times
Quote:
More likely under those circumstances so hypothermic and exhausted that he would curl up in a ball and not notice at all. Poor little guy.
That makes it definitely worse.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:25 AM

144 posts, read 80,915 times
Oh my! I love hiking and had a lot of experience (also bad experiences)... Makes me extremely sad to read things like this. How could a mother leave a child alone in the forest? First of all she had to know that going hiking with a child would not be easy nor for her, nor for the child.
I also had experiences where I got lost, got really scared but after that experience I try to always carry walkie talkies with me. It is very dangerous to get lost in the mountain! And extremely scary!
If you go hiking, please be safe, choose the best variant for you, like this, and pay attention!
Such thing should not happen! Safety first!

Old 04-22-2020, 11:24 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't know about that; as a mother I am boggled at the thought of leaving a 5-year-old alone in the wilderness. I don't think I could do it. I would try to carry him, then rest, encourage him to walk, whatever it took to keep him with me. Just walk away from him, no, it would not even cross my mind.
I am not leaving my child.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgLaw View Post
Oh my! I love hiking and had a lot of experience (also bad experiences)... Makes me extremely sad to read things like this. How could a mother leave a child alone in the forest? First of all she had to know that going hiking with a child would not be easy nor for her, nor for the child.
I also had experiences where I got lost, got really scared but after that experience I try to always carry walkie talkies with me. It is very dangerous to get lost in the mountain! And extremely scary!
If you go hiking, please be safe, choose the best variant for you, like this, and pay attention!
Such thing should not happen! Safety first!
Well what you wrote probably sounds reasonable to a reasonable person.

FWIW, you need to remember that most "walkie talkies" require a direct line of sight. Doesn't take much terrain at all to block transmission. Even if she did have one with her who would be holding the second one? Even a satellite phone signal can be blocked by tree canopy or dense cloud cover. Technology can be a great thing but it can't replace a functional brain. When you are dealing with a thoughtless unprepared fool, all bets are off.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-22-2020 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-22-2020, 01:06 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Well what you wrote probably sounds reasonable to a reasonable person.

FWIW, you need to remember that most "walkie talkies" require a direct line of sight. Doesn't take much terrain at all to block transmission. Even if she did have one with her who would be holding the second one? Even a satellite phone signal can be blocked by tree canopy or dense cloud cover. Technology can be a great thing, but when you are dealing with a thoughtless unprepared fool, all bets are off.
I agree that a walkie talkie would be useless unless you have somebody to talk to with it. A Garmin inReach satellite communicator would be the best option. But those are expensive, and not usually used by day hikers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events