Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:37 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,488,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I don't know about Ohio, but in my 40 years experience as a California police officer, both armed and unarmed security officers are, in general, poorly trained. The state has been trying to upgrade security officer training, but it didn't seem to be working by the time I retired.

I've gone into all sorts of local, county, state, and federal facilities in full uniform and never had a problem. However, security was normally handled by full-time LEOs, which makes a big difference. Even private security officers never challenged me. I always presented my department-issue ID, to remove any and all doubt.
It appears from the video that the Deputy skipped that step of presenting ID and just waltzed in.

He has said in other articles that he's gone into that office before in uniform with his gun on personal business.

The guard has been fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 03:30 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,077,579 times
[quote=kell490;55746063]You can view it on YouTube if that works for you
/quote]

thanks for that. that's just wacky.

I salute the uniformed officer for his restraint. We've all certainly seen the LAPD light people up like a Christmas tree in similar tense circumstances.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:37 PM

6,804 posts, read 4,517,744 times
The guard is wrong and out of line. The cop is in full uniform. He can't just leave his gun "at the door". He said as much when he slowly turned to leave the office peacefully.

The stupid guard decided to hunt him at that point. What an idiot. He outta be fired.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:28 AM

39,950 posts, read 26,679,402 times
Do some more research (and I'm looking for a more complete video).

1) The building is a federal facility; it is illegal to bring a weapon into the building. If it's like a post office, it is illegal to even have it in a car on a parking lot.

2) LEO ignored the law and brought his weapon into the building. This while taking care of personal business, not official, work related business.

3) He was informed that he couldn't bring his gun into the building. He was given an option (that civilian CCW carriers wouldn't have) to leave his gun secured in the patrol car. He refused.

4) A worker (not the security guard) called 911 and reported that there was a man with a gun that refused to leave.

It appears that the cop broke the law, refused to leave, and when confronted, rather than admitting that he had committed a crime-instead plays the race card. And of course the MSM goes along with the story instead of investigating facts.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:59 AM

51,408 posts, read 37,080,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I couldn't view the video... incompatible codec.

Uhhhh, I have been to a courthouse enough times, that I am used to the protocol of "the guards" being US Marshalls relieving people of their weapons at the front door metal detectors. I myself have had to say "ohh shoot, lemme go put my pepper spray and my leatherman back in the car". It's usually no big deal.

I've been to the federal bldg downtime enough times, that everybody seems to know the heightened protocols since the Timothy McVeigh -era. Signs say leave your junk in the car. I'm suprized they put rent-a-cop/guard-card people at the front door, I assume that was a job only for sworn officers & federal law enforcement.
Someone posted it wasn’t a federal building

Old 07-27-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Do some more research (and I'm looking for a more complete video).

1) The building is a federal facility; it is illegal to bring a weapon into the building. If it's like a post office, it is illegal to even have it in a car on a parking lot.

2) LEO ignored the law and brought his weapon into the building. This while taking care of personal business, not official, work related business.

3) He was informed that he couldn't bring his gun into the building. He was given an option (that civilian CCW carriers wouldn't have) to leave his gun secured in the patrol car. He refused.

4) A worker (not the security guard) called 911 and reported that there was a man with a gun that refused to leave.

It appears that the cop broke the law, refused to leave, and when confronted, rather than admitting that he had committed a crime-instead plays the race card. And of course the MSM goes along with the story instead of investigating facts.
Other accounts said he was walking out when the gun was pulled on him. Where did you see that he refused to leave?

Old 07-27-2019, 05:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,585,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
This is an odd story I don't really understand why news are making race thing out of this. Security guard pulls a gun demands Sheriff Deputy to leave his gun in his car. The guard pulls his gun and points it at the Deputy. City of Toledo police show up and arrest the security guard. The security guard states the Deputy was on personal business doesn't get exemption to bring his firearm in a federal building. I read the law he is referring to it does say have to be on official business.

They play a 911 call hear a woman's voice another IRS office employee say a man with a gun is in the office, but she fails to say he is a Sheriff Deputy.

https://www.insideedition.com/deputy...umatized-54530
How often are UNIFORMED POLICE OFFICERS asked to remove their guns? Isn't the weapon a part of the uniform? Why was he prevented from leaving? Who generally has more authority? An $8 rental cop or an actual UNIFORMED POLICE OFFICER?

Old 07-27-2019, 06:04 AM

15,626 posts, read 9,300,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
If a man with a gun is illegal to enter the Fed Bldg, then it's illegal.

He is not acting as a Deputy being called out to the Fed Bldg

He is acting as a taxpayer

He should know better than anyone than to be bringing a gun into a Federal Bldg

And the Cop is traumatized? Seriously? What an idiot! He's in the wrong line of work.

But the Security Guard shouldn't have pointed a gun (unless he is following protocol)

If the Security Guard was following protocol, he shouldn't be arrested but praised for his good work
Meanwhile we have endless stories of cops pointing guns at children as young as two years old, for stuff as minor as shoplifting. The cops don't even give a second thought to the trauma that causes a child. But if somebody points a gun at them, they get traumatized.

If this guy hadn't been a cop, more than likely he would have been the one arrested. We have two sets of laws in this country, one for cops, one for everyone else.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:36 AM

15,626 posts, read 9,300,053 times
The security guard was 100% in the right and following Department of Homeland Security policies. The cop had no right to bring his weapon into a Federal Office and he had no right to leave once he was detained for it. Everyday people get arrested for trying to bring weapons into Federal Facilities. Most all of them would love to be able to just walk out the door after they were caught. But that is not the way the law works.

Quote:
FAQ Regarding Items Prohibited from Federal Property

Can I change my mind and decide to leave the facility once I have initiated the screening process?
No. You may not terminate a screening event once the screening process has been initiated.

I am a state or local law enforcement officer. Can I bring my service weapon with me?
No. It is unlawful for armed state or local law enforcement officers to possess a firearm in a Federal facility unless there is an official law enforcement purpose for the visit.
FAQ Regarding Items Prohibited from Federal Property _ Homeland Security

Old 07-27-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Meanwhile we have endless stories of cops pointing guns at children as young as two years old, for stuff as minor as shoplifting. The cops don't even give a second thought to the trauma that causes a child. But if somebody points a gun at them, they get traumatized.

If this guy hadn't been a cop, more than likely he would have been the one arrested. We have two sets of laws in this country, one for cops, one for everyone else.
I agree with the first part of your post, but I don’t think it’s relevant to this case. This man didn’t do anything wrong, and the fact that there are big problems with policing today does not make it ok to treat this person like a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events