Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,648 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on this news announcement; it made me sick to my stomach actually....I can't even imagine how this could have really happened, 18 years! That poor family! The horrors for that child! And all because someone did not adequately do their job...what should happen to the officer...clearly one cannot change the past but clearly there needs to be a serious lesson to be learned....comments?

MARTINEZ, Calif. — The Contra Costa County sheriff says a neighbor reported a backyard encampment at the home of a man suspected of holding a kidnapped girl captive for 18 years, but the investigating officer dismissed it as a routine code violation.

Sheriff Warren E. Rupf (ROOP) said Friday the deputy who inspected Phillip Garrido's yard in November 2006 did not know Garrido was a registered sex offender, even though the Sheriff's Department had the information.

Rupf says more suspicion and curiosity on the deputy's part could have uncovered the secret encampment where Jaycee Lee Dugard allegedly was held. He says there are "absolutely no excuses ... we should have had a better result."

Phillip and Nancy Garrido are being held for investigation of kidnapping and conspiracy in the disappearance of Jaycee Lee Dugard 18 years ago..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 PM

634 posts, read 1,420,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on this news announcement; it made me sick to my stomach actually....I can't even imagine how this could have really happened, 18 years! That poor family! The horrors for that child! And all because someone did not adequately do their job...what should happen to the officer...clearly one cannot change the past but clearly there needs to be a serious lesson to be learned....comments?

MARTINEZ, Calif. — The Contra Costa County sheriff says a neighbor reported a backyard encampment at the home of a man suspected of holding a kidnapped girl captive for 18 years, but the investigating officer dismissed it as a routine code violation.

Sheriff Warren E. Rupf (ROOP) said Friday the deputy who inspected Phillip Garrido's yard in November 2006 did not know Garrido was a registered sex offender, even though the Sheriff's Department had the information.

Rupf says more suspicion and curiosity on the deputy's part could have uncovered the secret encampment where Jaycee Lee Dugard allegedly was held. He says there are "absolutely no excuses ... we should have had a better result."

Phillip and Nancy Garrido are being held for investigation of kidnapping and conspiracy in the disappearance of Jaycee Lee Dugard 18 years ago..

Yes, this story really sets me on fire! Anyone found guilty for that should be led strait to the gallows to be hanged ... just like old days. Not only would they be making sure they'd never harm another child ... they'd also be saving tax payers a fortune.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times
its a sad story. people are really sick. but calls get processed the way they do based on priorities. im sure the cop thought it was another disgruntled neighbor complaining. BUT code enforcement should have followed up.

the other part is the sex offender status. they should always be scrutinized. always.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:31 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
What's weird is that I've been reading a bunch of thrillers by Lisa Gardner lately & just a couple days ago I was thinking about how nothing ever happens like the situations in her book in real life. Then this story came out.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:49 PM

I too am absolutely sick and wired over this one; and aside from the offenders in this case, there are others who should be held accountable in some way...sure, disgruntled neighbor, made a complaint but how long should something be standing there without even investigating....if even a 'cordial' check it out might have, probably would have made all the difference in the world for that child and her frantic family..."They "missed an opportunity" and there are "absolutely no excuses," Rupf said, apologizing to the Dugard family."

Kidnap suspect's home searched for murder evidence | General News | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090827/US.Kidnapped.Girl.Found/ - broken link)
the latest that just came out...

I think far more than a mere apology is in order as well; this kind of thing can never happen again.

It's so ironic, isn't it...we are told to get involved, call in to the authorities when something is wrong, even something as simple as a "possible code violation" and when we do make that all or that effort, what gets done....I am not saying it happens all the time, hopefully it does not, but even 1 time is 1 time too many for a victim.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM

as far as the sex offender registry, I am a real estate broker and I check the offender registry once a month in my area AND I strongly encourage all the other agents to do the same...things are different for us now, we just can't always jump into some one else's car or vice versa and in my experience, the sex registry on line is not always current HOWEVER the law enforcement agencies DO have their lists current, that should be a SOP for all law enforcement, check registries always...perhaps because of this there will finally be stricter adherence to responses to community members' calls and taking them a bit more seriously and/or investigating...

I certainly would not want to be in that deputy's shoes right now, that's for sure. I can't even imagine what he will end up saying to that family and that victim...I doubt there are no words to describe that horrible mistake and I think he certainly does owe them, personally, one heck of an apology.
I am also not necessarily a sue crazy person, and I do think that there are times lawsuits are in order, again, circumstances can't change what happened in this case, however, perhaps a lesson well learned by this law enforcement department and I trust this kind of thing will never happen by them again...and they will certainly pay big for this mistake. Mistake does not seem like an adequate word, does it!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 PM

639 posts, read 1,143,210 times
I don't know how busy it is in that county but it is very hard in a busy city for a patrol officer/deputy to keep up on the active sex offenders in a city/community because they are lengthy and ever changing. Most departments normally have a Sex Crimes Detective who will monitor sex offenders and make semi-annual visits or more if possible. I believe it is inexcusable that the Deputy failed to investigate the complaint properly in 2006. Cops tend to be over scrutinized but in this case he/she did a very poor job of police work.......

Old 08-28-2009, 05:02 PM

I believe it is inexcusable that the Deputy failed to investigate the complaint properly in 2006. Cops tend to be over scrutinized but in this case he/she did a very poor job of police work.......

I totally agree with you; inexcusable. There is another thread with this as a similar topic, a different twist: re: why the girl would stay...etc. I was shocked...aside from the fact that she was a child, was no doubt terrorized for years, how could one possibly even consider in any way, blaming the victim...aside from brainwashing, threats, and who knows what other horrors were put on her...jeez, focus on the offenders and hope this child, with a lot of therapy and nourishment, will be able to have a moderately sane and normal life.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:02 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
I don't know how busy it is in that county but it is very hard in a busy city for a patrol officer/deputy to keep up on the active sex offenders in a city/community because they are lengthy and ever changing. Most departments normally have a Sex Crimes Detective who will monitor sex offenders and make semi-annual visits or more if possible. I believe it is inexcusable that the Deputy failed to investigate the complaint properly in 2006. Cops tend to be over scrutinized but in this case he/she did a very poor job of police work.......
However, in this case, anyone with internet access could have discovered his SO status. That said, I'm sure that it wouldn't occur to someone investigating a code enforcement complaint to check SO database, though. I haven'tseen pix of the yard, but from what I've heard, it sounds as though anyone checking out the property for a violation would do more than a cursory once over.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 PM

However, in this case, anyone with internet access could have discovered his SO status. That said, I'm sure that it wouldn't occur to someone investigating a code enforcement complaint to check SO database, though. I haven'tseen pix of the yard, but from what I've heard, it sounds as though anyone checking out the property for a violation would do more than a cursory once over.

The more I have been reading about this case and the descriptions I have read about the yard, the tents, makeshift buildings, you are so right, how could someone not relook at it when there were complaints...

Guess the family is doing okay with their reunion...it will take this young woman a long time to get through this and its great that her family is there for her...

What do you think should happen to that deputy? although I trust he is feeling pretty bad, guilty and he is going to be held accountable for skimming over the complaints....wow, that's a heck of a long time to be held captive, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies