Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 AM

13,605 posts, read 7,613,925 times

Advertisements

This is an odd story I don't really understand why news are making race thing out of this. Security guard pulls a gun demands Sheriff Deputy to leave his gun in his car. The guard pulls his gun and points it at the Deputy. City of Toledo police show up and arrest the security guard. The security guard states the Deputy was on personal business doesn't get exemption to bring his firearm in a federal building. I read the law he is referring to it does say have to be on official business.

They play a 911 call hear a woman's voice another IRS office employee say a man with a gun is in the office, but she fails to say he is a Sheriff Deputy.

https://www.insideedition.com/deputy...umatized-54530

Last edited by kell490; 07-23-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 10:57 AM

154 posts, read 93,883 times
If a man with a gun is illegal to enter the Fed Bldg, then it's illegal.

He is not acting as a Deputy being called out to the Fed Bldg

He is acting as a taxpayer

He should know better than anyone than to be bringing a gun into a Federal Bldg

And the Cop is traumatized? Seriously? What an idiot! He's in the wrong line of work.

But the Security Guard shouldn't have pointed a gun (unless he is following protocol)

If the Security Guard was following protocol, he shouldn't be arrested but praised for his good work

Old 07-23-2019, 11:17 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,136,973 times
it clearly shows on the video that the cop was trying to leave the building, and the guard followed him out to the elevator and tried to hold him.

That was ridiculous. There was no good reason to try and hold the deputy.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:20 AM

154 posts, read 93,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
it clearly shows on the video that the cop was trying to leave the building, and the guard followed him out to the elevator and tried to hold him.
Unless it was protocol.

If not, there is no excuse for the Security Guards behavior

Old 07-23-2019, 11:35 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,508,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

Yes, I don't understand why he wouldn't let him leave. There may be more than one IRS office in Toledo, but when I googled, the one that came up is not a federal bldg. Its a private office complex with some federal agencies there and some private firms.

Seems like they were both wrong to me. The Sheriff's Deputy should know that weapons are not allowed in Federal Bldgs/Offices. Curious if he was on duty when he stopped there?

The guard was probably within his rights to pull his gun to prevent the Deputy entering, but not to detain him from leaving.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:46 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,720,728 times
The Sheriff Deputy should have known better, but at the same time, I thought uniformed LEO were allowed to go into federal facilities with their guns (maybe not, I don't know since I am not LE, but the cops responding seemed to think so). But even if not allowed, did the security guard really need to pull a gun on him? If I am reading the story right, the deputy walked in, the guard told the deputy he couldn't have his gun. So the deputy then turned around to leave the office and then the guard pulled his gun as the deputy was leaving and followed him as the deputy walked away.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:06 PM

13,605 posts, read 7,613,925 times
The security guard pulling the gun is what got him arrested he could have just asked him to leave it might not hold up in court I suspect charges be dropped on the guard by the DA. The lawsuit I think is just try and make some money out of the situation. The Federal Law does say the exemption is only if an officer is under official duty he wasn't.

I know the law about being on Duty has come up before in California they say any officer who is employed and state certified is on duty 24/7 they get exempted to carry concealed on school property too. The federal law states "Official duty" like they were called to the office to enforce the law, or chasing a suspect though there. Hopefully news follows up on it interesting to see how it turns out.

Last edited by kell490; 07-23-2019 at 12:44 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 12:14 PM

14,994 posts, read 24,052,512 times
Sounds like a case of an overzelous rent-a-cop. Once you draw your weapon, the risk of even accidental discharge goes up astronomically. This is an issue of common sense.

TERMINATE the crazy mall cop and make sure his next security job is nothing more serious than being the local walmart greeter guy that check receipts.
LECTURE AND ADVISE the police officer if indeed no off-duty uniformed officers are allowed in a federal building. Additonally tell him to man-up, he doesn't need to be on leave for "trauma".

Old 07-23-2019, 12:16 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,508,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
The Sheriff Deputy should have known better, but at the same time, I thought uniformed LEO were allowed to go into federal facilities with their guns (maybe not, I don't know since I am not LE, but the cops responding seemed to think so). But even if not allowed, did the security guard really need to pull a gun on him? If I am reading the story right, the deputy walked in, the guard told the deputy he couldn't have his gun. So the deputy then turned around to leave the office and then the guard pulled his gun as the deputy was leaving and followed him as the deputy walked away.
If the Feds or their security guards call local LEO for help then yes they can go in with their guns. They have been invited, are expected and everyone knows they will be showing up with guns.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:30 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,136,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yes, I don't understand why he wouldn't let him leave. There may be more than one IRS office in Toledo, but when I googled, the one that came up is not a federal bldg. Its a private office complex with some federal agencies there and some private firms.

Seems like they were both wrong to me. The Sheriff's Deputy should know that weapons are not allowed in Federal Bldgs/Offices. Curious if he was on duty when he stopped there?

The guard was probably within his rights to pull his gun to prevent the Deputy entering, but not to detain him from leaving.

Apparently, he was on duty, because he explained to the guard, and made sure the guard understood that he was in full uniform, which meant he couldn't relinquish his gun. And according to the deputy, the guard understood that.

Plus...Ohio is an open carry state. It would not have been illegal to carry a handgun in general. And if that particular building was not, in fact, a federal building, the deputy could've quite innocently assumed he'd have no issues cause he's...you know...in uniform. Since the guard told the deputy he couldn't enter, THAT should've been enough, and from the video...it looks like the deputy WAS leaving. There was no need to pull a gun on the guy as he was walking away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events